• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    buddingjedi
    Participant

Just some questions regarding your journey on the Jedi path. Answer as many as you wish. Peace.

At what point in your life did you begin to identify yourself as a Jedi?
    Why did you do so?
    How did you go about doing this?
    What changed in your life?
    What groups did you join?
    Did you separate yourself from your previous religious affiliation (if any)? Why or why not?

Kol Drake

As noted elsewhere in the thread under ‘Is Jediism a Religion’  http://instituteforjedirealiststudies.org/forum/10-spirituality-religion-and-philosophy/14734-is-jediism-a-religion

— I noted you asked these questions.. which we ask outselves on a periodic basis…. and as part of the Introduction course to the IJRS curriculum.

Around pages 23-24 is the following:

Personal Training Exercise— “Why Jedi?”

Some of you have only just stepped onto the path, while others will have taken those first steps much earlier. It doesn’t matter how long you’ve walked this path, it is always beneficial to evaluate what it is you want from it. For this lesson, please answer these questions below. Remember, we’re looking for depth of thought here.  Answers like “the Jedi are cool” are not helpful. If that is your initial answer, ask yourself, why are they cool? What do I admire about the Jedi? That will get you to a more useful answer. If you are stuck, send me a message and I’ll do my best to give you follow up questions so you can learn more about yourself.

Part 1: Discovering the Path
    What first inspired you to seek the Jedi path in your life?
    Were there any key events around that time that caused you to seek this path?
    How did you find this training? Have you received any other training elsewhere (online or off)?

Part 2: The View Along the Way
    How would you define a Jedi?
    What aspects of the Jedi do you aspire to?  Or, what attributes of the Jedi do you want to incorporate into yourself?
    What does it mean for you to be a Jedi in your society?

Part 3: Looking forward
    What are your goals in your Jedi training for the next 3 months?
    The next 6 months?
    The next year?

What do you anticipate will be your biggest challenge to reaching these goals? For instance, do you have time constraints, family responsibilities, or health problems?

Finally, I’d like to think about how you now feel about your Jedi path, having written these statements. Do you feel inspired, excited, overwhelmed? Whatever comes to mind, try to express that into words as best you can. Take some time and then try to come up with a reason why you feel the way you do? It’s ok if you don’t come up with much of anything at first, but it’s a worthwhile exercise.

+++++

SO… as a ‘intro’ to this place of learning and training — we ask all our potential ‘Jedi in Training’ these questions.

Most are posted to their individual journals but… perhaps someone can give a general summary that might help your class research.

Atticus

I like that Kol linked to the Why Jedi exercise — here is the response I wrote to that exercise when I first started training — because our responses to that would tend to answer the first half of your questions.

As for the remainder: a great deal has changed for me since I began training.  I am learning how to trust my intuition, how to deal with emotions in a constructive manner, how to communicate more effectively.  I have developed physical and spiritual routines that help me connect to energies I did not know existed a few months ago.

I really haven’t joined any groups, unless being an active student here at the Institute makes me part of a “group”.  I have accounts on about half a dozen Jedi discussion forums, and I check three of them semi-regularly.

I don’t consider Jedi Realism a religion — it’s possible that some do, but in my experience it’s more common for those who view their Jedi path as a religion to refer to it as “Jediism” — so my previous religious affiliation is still my current religious affiliation. ;)

My two credits.  Your mileage may vary.

Magdelene Nashira
    Participant

Ok, here goes.  I’ll just answer the questions point by point:

When I first found the original JEDI site and joined around 2005.  I was just playing around online and found an article that refered to the Jedi in Europe and the census thing, etc.  I figured they were probably just doing it as a lark, but figured that there was probably a small percentage who were truly into following the Jedi path.  So with a lot more searching I finally happened upon a site that lead me to JEDI.  I have to admit I laughed about it at first.  But then I just couldn’t quit thinking about it and I eventually joined some sites and started learning.

Why did you do so?

I think as I read more on the sites I was finding I realized that I had been a Jedi follower in my own way for quite some time.  I got to thinking about the huge impact the movies had on me way back when and realized how much I had truly adopted much of the thinking of the Jedi.  It was like I’d found a new home.

By this I’m assuming it means how did I go about following the Jedi path.  I did some reading on my own and started journaling my periences.  I started relating what I had learned in life to the Jedi path.  I started reading the writing of other Jedi and participating in forums and classes.

I think I became more knowledgeable about myself, my relationships to others, and how the Jedi approach to life can effect my life and make it easier to make decisions, etc.

I joined several different Jedi-related forums.  At one point I even joined a Sith fourm.  Then I kind of decided I’m a grey Jedi.

Did you separate yourself from your previous religious affiliation (if any)? Why or why not?

No, not really.  I’ve changed in the way I evaluate my religion and have kind of changed the way I think of my religion .  However, I don’t know that it was anything to do with being a Jed realist or Jediist.  I think all of that would have come even if I had not joined the Jedi forums and started following the Jedi path.

Yoshio

As Atticus already wrote, you can find my answers to the exercise “Why Jedi” [URL=http://”http://yoshiopeacefulwarrior.wordpress.com/2010/02/02/introductory-course-personal-training-exercise-why-jedi/”%5Dhere%5B/URL%5D.
    Feel free to read through the rest of my “Book of Studies” as well.

As for the last of your questions, I don’t really see the Jedi Realist “thing” as a religion. For me it is more of a philosophic path and so I haven’t separated myself from my religion although I’m thinking of separating myself from the church, but that is more a “political” thing.

tatsutsume
    Participant

I would say back in 2001, in my late 20’s early 30’s/
    Why did you do so?
    I had read up on some of the beliefs of the Jedi and felt in-tune with it.
    I joined the Jediism website and started learning as much as I could.
    My perception of the world around me.  Then I realized that it is all just perception.
    Mostly the yahoo groups at the time.  It’s all I had.
    Yes, because I felt lied to and betrayed by my old faith.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here