• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    tatsutsume
    Participant

Most of us listen to music when we do workouts, but we usually just pick music we enjoy and not all of it would be something you can do a workout too.  My advice to you is to pick something with a moderate to quick tempo.  Dance music, some rap, rock, some metal and fast paced country music would be good, but use your discretion on that because it has a little to do with your likes and dislikes as well.  Don’t pick things like love songs or sad songs, and avoid things like death metal in that these are either way to slow or way to fast.  If and when you are doing a cool down the slower music would work, but only for the cool down.  Remember, moderate to fast tempo that is steady.  If you pick something that the tempo or beat changes then it will not work right and will throw off your rhythm.  Keep this in mind as you select your music for your training.

Florian
    Participant

I use music when working out extensively, and I can say that it has a huge effect.  Training with music, I can push myself farther and harder than I could without.  I think music has some sort of psychological effect, and puts us into an almost trancelike state where we can ignore pain and discomfort, and push ourselves harder.

I can attest that tempo is important as well.  During the summer I was working on doing fast quarter-mile sprints, and the rock music I was used to using for slower runs didn’t seem to keep up.  So, I got hold of some fast-paced dance music, put that on, and suddenly my speed during that time increased significantly.

The only thing I disagree with is music with varying beats, or slow songs.  When I run, I like to do fartleks, which is random intervals at random speeds, more or less playing with the intervals.  By mixing up lots of different types of songs, I end up with intervals of all kinds of lengths and speeds, and it keeps the workout very interesting and fresh.  It also gives me some nice new challenges, like when I’m listening to a slow song, just jogging along, then right as I get to the bottom of a steep hill the song changes and Dragonforce kicks in, and then I have to launch myself up the hill at hyper speed.

tatsutsume
    Participant

I can see how that would work.  I am not used to doing a work out like that, but it is something that I may want to consider.  Bruce Lee used to run at varying paces to help increase endurance, so the benefit of doing something like that.  Thanks for bringing that up Florian.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here