• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Jax
    Keymaster

Honestly, you can find similarities between most any religion, philosophy, etc.  But we are taught to look for the differences, because they are the excuse we use to exclude and divide people.  In any case, everyone has the freedom to their religion or spirituality.  If one person sees it as Hindu, another as Buddhism, that’s fine.  Of course, at the academy you’ll learn about many different things and draw your own conclusions. 

Reverend Semadeni
    Participant
    Quote:
    Honestly, you can find similarities between most any religion, philosophy, etc.  But we are taught to look for the differences, because they are the excuse we use to exclude and divide people.  In any case, everyone has the freedom to their religion or spirituality.  If one person sees it as Hindu, another as Buddhism, that’s fine.  Of course, at the academy you’ll learn about many different things and draw your own conclusions. 

Thats true about similarities.  I cant quite make out if you are alluding to exclusion and division being a good thing or not so I’m not gonna assume either for now.  What I was trying to get at was if anyone likens Jediism to one single religion then the focus leans toward that religion in the posters and possibly others minds.  Following the path of Jedi is the inclusion of many different thoughts and beliefs as they all have their origins in the Force.  To say Jedi is Hindu like or Buddhist like is exclusionary to the rest of religion and not very Jedi like.  I may not change anyones mind about thinking Jedi is similar to Hinduism but at least I can insert the question of what other religions are similar and hopefully create some interest for more to seek out other theologies. 

:rebel Rev

Jax
    Keymaster

True enough.  But people come in with only their own experiences.  If those experiences are limited to one religion, that’s what they will relate to.  But then again, I’d prefer people stop looking to other things to explain their beliefs, and just go within.  The answers are there, without the dogma and other issues that can come with religion.  But that’s why there are so many paths – everyone has to find their truth in their own way.  The academy is setup to help people find their own truth, providing them the tools necessary to go within and find the wisdom waiting there.  Anyway, a bit of a tangent.  :-) 

You’re point is quite valid, just adding an extra thought or two. 

Beral Khan
    Participant

I chose the path of the Jedi BECAUSE is wasn’t any one religious point of view, and yet was the best of them all.

And as for quotes: “You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.”
    — Mark Twain

seeker125
    Participant

It seems to me that the Jedi way has a strong element of universelism in it and I think this is one of the things that attracts me to it.
    To paraphrase an old Sufi saying;
    “There are as many paths to the force, as there are those who would tread them.”

Aslyn
    Participant

I should observe that, by it’s very nature, Jedi Realism is irreligious, thus permitting you to include your own religious beliefs, in that they are naturally compatible with our own beliefs and practices. To a certain extent, that does make this a more universalist ideology, I quite agree, but at the same time, that is not to say that it exists as a catch-all, and nor as something which those looking for faith should simply jump into, hoping to eventually find one. Ours is a structured system of ideological belief, and I’d like to think that people don’t try Jedi Realism as something you pass through on your way to religion. It’s not about that.

seeker125
    Participant
    Quote:
    I should observe that, by it’s very nature, Jedi Realism is irreligious, thus permitting you to include your own religious beliefs, in that they are naturally compatible with our own beliefs and practices. To a certain extent, that does make this a more universalist ideology, I quite agree, but at the same time, that is not to say that it exists as a catch-all, and nor as something which those looking for faith should simply jump into, hoping to eventually find one. Ours is a structured system of ideological belief, and I’d like to think that people don’t try Jedi Realism as something you pass through on your way to religion. It’s not about that.

I agree that Jedi Realism is irriligious but Jedism is religious, so there is a certain amount of overlap and people have posted about both on this thread. I delibrately said the ‘Jedi way’ which I believe allows room for both views. I don’t like to see a ‘them and us attitude’, I would like to think that we are all Jedi.  If I was just looking for a faith I would simply have subscribed to one of the Jedi Church sites but I prefer to follow the Jedi path as a Philosophy. I am a Christian but find the Christian doctrine to be limiting and like to explore other beliefs and philosophies without discarding everything I learnt as a Christian. So far I have not seen one single stuctured belief but elements of many. As you say,  “Jedi Realism is irreligious, thus permitting you to include your own religious beliefs.” and while you may not like to think that Jedi Realism as something you pass through on your way to something else. I would ask you, to please, not be discouraging of people who are trying to find their path. :yoda

Aslyn
    Participant

I have no intention of being discouraging, Seeker. I’m an instructor: that’s not my job ;) I’ve had quite a lot of friends and students leave the Jedi path over the years, and I haven’t an issue with any of them. My meaning was directed more at those who deliberately start walking the same path as us without ever intending to truly dedicate themselves to it.

I should also note that some people use the term ‘Jediism’ to encompass ALL Jedi disciplines, including those of Jedi Realism, so you have to be wary of using the term without specifying that which you intend to refer to under those circumstances.

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here