• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    inari
    Participant

Hiya Folks,

Just for a bit of fun, I thought it would be an interesting exercise if we looked at the fictional Na’vi language and tried to figure out what our names would be if pronounced in Na’vi. It does not have certain sounds that we have in English so some approximations are required.

To get you started on this, you may require the following links:
    1) The Na’vi pronunciation guide http://www.learnnavi.org/docs/Navi-Pronounciation.pdf
    2) Instructions on how to change your keyboard layout to produce accented characters http://www.starr.net/is/type/kbh.html

After some work, I determined that my (real) name would most likely be Sänra, with the ‘d’ dropped (plenty of Asians do this already) or for my full name Sänra Kxìm Wila. For my usual ‘handle'(Inari) it would probably be Ìnari…not much different.

So, I look forward to seeing what you all come up with!

Regards,

Ìnari  ;)

jdmcowan
    Participant

Not so tough for the name I use here.  The only sound they don’t already say is the “sh”, but I’m sure they would barely hear the difference in tongue position for an “s”, so…

zenryo sensi

inari
    Participant

Or maybe zenrryo…a little more trill on the ‘r’ when followed by a softer sound perhaps? It’s not a hard ‘r’ like in my name.

jdmcowan
    Participant

Except that I’ve revised my understanding of the “rr”.  It should only be used when it is acting as a syllable, so that wouldn’t be appropriate in my name.  Also, I’ve realized that the “y” doesn’t belong there since it can’t form a consonant cluster with the preceeding “r” or a diphthong with the following “o”.  Thus, though I say the first name as two syllables, they might hear it as three…

Zenrio Sensi

Memnoich
    Participant

hmm, Memnak is close, though the translation would be something like Vrrtep.  As for my real name, not much would change, however, if I broke it down to what it means, Celtic for “Ruler, Priest town, Shelf in a valley” I can get a little more creative, Olo’Eyktan Tirea Eyktan, though I couldn’t find anything for town, or shelf in a valley.

jdmcowan
    Participant

I don’t think we have any information on name creation, so if you are going for meaning rather than transliteration, we can only guess.  However, in sentence creation, I don’t believe that unmarked nouns in apposition have any relationship.  Thus the meaning of your first name might be clearer as “Fpiolo’eyktan” or perhaps “Olo’yäeyktan”.

Memnoich
    Participant

Olo’Eyktan means Clan Leader, as close to Ruler as I could find, whereas Tirea(Spirit) Eyktan(Leader) was as close to Priest as I could find. My name is Richard Preston Sheldon, which in Celtic means “Ruler(richard), Priest town(preston), Shelf in a valley/dun(Sheldon)” Literally translated as Ruler of a priest town on a shelf in a valley.

jdmcowan
    Participant

Whoops!  I didn’t realize there was already a compound noun without any such markings.  How interesting!

As for the other names, it’s difficult without a more complete vocabulary and more information on how names are formed.  There’s also “sacred” for the middle name.  I don’t remember what the mother’s title within the tribe was, but she was very similar to a priestess, so that word might be better.  But I don’t think you’re going to find any towns on Pandora.  There is “kllpxìltu” – “territory” and “Kel” seems to refer to home in someway and is used in “kelutrel” – “hometree”.  And for mountain ledges or plateaus, they obviously had them, but we don’t yet know the word they use for them.

It’ll be interesting to see how they continue to develope the language as more movies get made and as a market for a book about the language grows.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here