• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Yoshio

Through my contacts I got directed to this article on BBC written by Camila Ruz which I though is a good read for other Jedi Realist and actually anyone these days, so I would like to share it here with you and would be interested to hear what you think about it and if, hopefully, not you had been in a situation whereat you needed to make use of some of what is touched on in this article?

What should you do in an attack?

sthift
    Participant

Great article Johannes! Given the general climate of security considerations in today’s world, I think this is an area everyone should give at least SOME level of thought, if nothing more than to identify who you are as a person and what that would translate to as for as your actions in any such situation.

The cliche “Fight of Flight” reference seems relevant, but in reality, MOST people would fair find themselves squarely in the “flight” category, which is common, and perfectly fine. However, there are various ways to look at this, even if you do not find yourself to be a particularly confrontational “fight” type.

Say you are not adept or inclined to “fight” off an attacker…guess what, simply being aware and drawing attention to the threat, notifying authorities, or warning other possible targets (victims) are all good ways to help minimize the damages.

Take it a step further, imagining you may be closest to the threat, letting go of one’s self and distracting the threat in any way possible can be crucial in giving others the crucial seconds they need to escape. Sounds a bit like “jumping on the grenade”, but in a blunt way, if you are in the immediate vicinity of an attacker, you are likely to be impacted anyway, so why not use the opportunity to potentially spare another. In a slightly positive sense, many of these threats do not particularly anticipate civilians to stand up and fight back, are not prepared or particularly trained in hand-to-hand combat themselves, and the mere surprise that they are meeting ANY resistance at all could be enough to overpower/overwhelm them, especially if you fighting back inspires others nearby to assist! Think of Flight 93 on 9/11.

By all means not recommending anyone to “sacrifice” themselves…just being slightly real in ways you could legitimately help.

Finally, but most importantly, regardless of when and where you are, maintain situational awareness at all times. There is a static concept of “If you see something, say something” promoted in anti-terrorism messages…equating to the fact that such attacks can often be thwarted by simple vigilance prior to the actual start of violence.

In a nutshell, terrorists or other violent attackers are quite likely to stand out or “tip their hand” in one way or another, and if you know what to be aware of you can pick up on these queues quite easily. For instance, look for things that just don’t seem right, i.e., it’s nighttime but someone is wearing sunglasses, its a hot summer day in a crowded public venue but someone is wearing a long coat, someone remaining still when everyone else is moving excessively (such as not cheering when everyone else is, or shifting back and forth in between lines at a metro-transit station when others are constantly boarding/departing buses or trains), unusual perspiration, furtive looks and general nervousness, or any number of other activities and non-activities that simply do not match the rest of the surroundings.

For example, we had an incident at work earlier this year, where by my general trained practice of maintaining situational awareness, I picked up on some subtle queues given off by a visitor to my workplace, notified our law enforcement element of the individual and cautioned them to keep close watch on him, only to have my suspicions proven accurate within 30 minutes as the man stood up to lash out. Due to my concerns and tip to LE, he was quickly detained and removed from the property without incident. No, he did not have weapons on him, and did not likely pose a larger threat than “making a scene”, but where I work even the “scene” itself is not permissible. Had I not queued in on the man, the average response time would have been inadequate, and the incident could have escalated to quite a bit more than a small disruption.

For anyone interested, I’d recommend a book written by a couple former Marine Corps officers on what is called the “Combat Hunter” program. In a nutshell it is a good overview on the types of behaviors and inconsistencies one can pick up on to identify the characteristics of an incident prior to it occurring, allowing the self to either act preemptively, or at least distance the self and others from the threat.

It is called “Left of Bang: How the Marine Corps’ Combat Hunter Program Can Save Your Life” by Patrick Van Horne & Jason A. Riley. https://www.amazon.com/Left-Bang-Marine-Combat-Program/dp/1936891301

Statistically you are still unlikely to be affected by a terrorist attack…but this mindset in general can range beyond the geo-political-security climate, and include anything from workplace violence to construction mishaps, avoiding traffic accidents or preventing petty crimes of theft and vandalism. It is always better to be looking for something that you never see than to face something you never saw coming.

Just my take.

Yoshio

Many thanks for your reply and the information You share with us. It had been a very interesting read and I have nothing to add to this than wanting to stress on that awareness or better said, situational awareness is key! Not only for us on the Path of a Jedi Realist but for anyone who is leaving his home and even at home.
    So, as it is said, pay attention, pay attention to your surroundings, to yourself, to the things you encounter, to the people you meet and so on. Unfortunately this is a bit counter the things we actually experience in everyday life where we all have and get more and more distractions in form of (smart-)phones, MP3 player, bright shiny advertisements, the general noise level and, again, so on. But here we can do something and chose. As for myself, I chose to not use a MP3 player when riding my bicycle, go out for a jog or just a walk, use my Smartphone only when sitting somewhere like at home, at my office table or in a cafe or restaurant but never when driving or walking etc.
    As for those interested in this topic, once you made it past the Novice exam, you might find, hopefully, the “Introduction to Aiding Emergency Services” and/or “Warrior 201 – Warrior Awareness” course beneficial.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here