• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Jax
    Keymaster

Matt, a lot of what you’re talking about is really a different area of force development.  Spirituality, while it can use these tools, doesn’t require it.  By the way, if you found yourself hitting a wall with astral projection, that book is exactly what you need.  It’s not intense and gives you the energy work you need to do to project successfully.  He has a lot of experience, I think you’ll find it what you need. 

Jax
    Keymaster

As for the details of being able to take it as a standalone class, that would really depend on the person.  A certain amount of personal work is required first, to help the student get more out of it, but that’s about it.  We can discuss the details of pre-requisites later, but I think I can be convinced to let you take the class Jade.  ;-)

Kol Drake

To steal from Wikipedia —

Spirituality, in a narrow sense, concerns itself with matters of the SPIRIT, a concept closely tied to religious belief and faith, a transcendent reality, or one or more deities. Spiritual matters are thus those matters regarding humankind’s ultimate nature and purpose, not only as material biological organisms, but as beings with a unique relationship to that which is perceived to be beyond both time and the material world.

As such, the spiritual is traditionally contrasted with the material, the temporal and the worldly. A perceived sense of connection forms a central defining characteristic of spirituality — connection to a metaphysical reality greater than oneself, which may include an emotional experience of religious awe and reverence, or such states as satori or Nirvana. Equally importantly, spirituality relates to matters of sanity and of psychological health. Spirituality is the personal, subjective dimension of religion, particularly that which pertains to liberation or salvation (see also mysticism)

Spirituality as a way of life concerns itself with aligning the human will and mind with that dimension of life and the universe that is harmonious and ordered. As such spiritual disciplines (which are often part of an established religious tradition) enjoin practioners (trainees or disciples) to cultivate those higher potentialities of the human being that are more noble and refined (wisdom and virtue). Accordingly, many spiritual traditions across diverse cultures share similar vocabulary. Terms such as the “path”, the “work”, the “practice” are universally applied to the ongoing discipline involved in transforming the coarser energies present in the human soul into more subtle and pleasing ones. As a spiritual practitioner one seeks to become free of the lesser egoic self (or ego) in favor of being more fully one’s “true” “Self”.

The above definition of spirituality tends to show a marked difference from the definition of religion:  “… a belief in the existence of a superhuman controlling power….usually expressed in worship”.  Worship implies that whoever is doing the worshiping is not as good as the GoD being worshiped. It also usually results in clergy, priests, ministers or leaders who gain power over worshipers by claims of superior knowledge.  Be that as it may…. let us not confuse the PHILOSOPHY of a religion versus the ‘set in stone’ hierarchies tossed under the umbrella of the term religion.

After the death of a religion’s great spiritual leader, it is common for followers to develop hierarchies and rules that are far removed from the teachings of that leader.  These rules tend to promote the hierarchy in preference to the teaching.

It seems to me that the fundamental words and teachings of the greats like Lao-Tzu, Buddha, Mohammed and Jesus are as valid today as when those men walked the planet.  All they had to say as guidance and ‘ways to act and worship’ are still the basis of how we behave to this day… and it’s not bad stuff.

However, the followers running the religious hierarchies resulting from those teachers have often interpreted the original teachings to suit the hierarchy. This, of course, often radically alters the original teachings.  If your religion sticks closely to the original words of these leaders and discards words of other less important prophets/ teachers where they conflict with the teachings of the great teachers, then it is probable that you have a religion that permits you happiness. If not, then it is helpful to remember that faith, not religion, is usually the crucible that permits happiness to florish.

It remains popular today among a few of the better educated to hold the Marxist belief that “religion is the opium of the people.” That does seem true for some sects of the more strident variety, but lumping all spiritual and religious systems together without closer examination does not seem particularly intelligent to me. By taking this judgmental position, such people seem to be throwing out the baby along with the bath-water.

Religion is the manifestation of spirituality. It is how we convert our spiritual beliefs and make them into something more tangible. To a point, ‘ belief ‘ alone simply is not enough. As humans, we have a natural curiousity in that we like to feel and touch things that affect us emotionally and physically because it helps to confirm that the world around us is ‘ real ‘.  We always want ‘proof’ that something exists or not.  Religion becomes that physical connection for how we express our spiritual beliefs, assuring us that the spiritual world is also very real.

That said, I agree that a class in Spirituality does NOT have to get all intensive on the study of all religions BUT….. it does need to acknowledge that the PHILOSOPHIES espoused by the originators (Jesus, Lao-Tzu, Buddha, etc.) have some pretty smart things to consider and take to heart in how we live our lives in the physical world and how we might approach our connection to the spiritual / Force related realms.

To be really ‘duh’ about it…

Religion can be compared to food. Religion is food for the soul. The true value of food is measured by the quantity of nutrients it contains. Spirituality is the nutritional value of authentic religious concepts for the soul.

Some people live to eat and others eat to live. Some people are into religion mainly for the social flavor and not the virtuous characteristics.

There are particular food items that can be prepared through various styles or recipes. There are also various Religious concoctions available to cater to the respective social appetite.

Most people are attracted mainly to the taste of the food while the nutritional values are completely ignored. In a similar manner people are attracted to the social fanfare of religion and not the practice of spirituality righteousness and piety.

Religion was developed mainly around social cultures and traditions; it was mainly a way to influence social behaviors through the use of moral suasion.

Spirituality is a condition which results from being a good human and it is demonstrated by making the right choices in Life, that promote peace, love, respect, appreciation, accountability, equity and contentment.

The practice of spirituality transforms individuals into living instruments of piety and divinity, which they freely share with all of humanity.

So…

“What is the difference between religion and spirituality?”

Spirituality comes from within you. Religion comes from outside of you.

Nothing or no one can give you spirituality. But many can give you religion if allow them too.

…. now, how do you base a one session course on all of that?  :P

matt191
    Participant

yah, i guess i did sorta go a little overboard with the energy work thing :)…oh well

this is definately an intresting site, im glad i stumbled upon it, when do classes begin exactly?

Jax
    Keymaster

It will be a while, we need to write all the curriculum.  We have made some good progress, but don’t hold your breath.  If you want some guidance in your training, start a thread saying what you’ve done already, where your interest lies, and we’ll try to give you some feedback. 

Kol, I prefer teaching from a philosophy that it isn’t about the amount of knowledge we can pass, but the amount of understanding a student gains – their experiences.  Therefore, a course would need to be focused on the tools, which the student then spends, oh, the rest of their life using.  :-)  So you’re right, in that the end goals of spiritual development aren’t reached in a course (or even the 2 or 3 we have here).  The tools, however, can be presented in a few courses.  And if we find it isn’t enough, we can add more through seminars and other study. 

Memnoich
    Participant

In the words of Morpheus, ” I can only show you the door, you are the one that has to walk through it”.
    [hr]
    I think Jax has the best Idea About spirituallity teaching, give them the tools to discover thier own path and understanding. You can sit there and tell people that this is the way, but like Kol said, people want proof of reality. When it comes to spirituallity, that proof can only be found by oneself. Teaching someone how to find that proof, is much more effective then telling them about the proof. “give a man a fish, and he’ll eat for a day, Teach a man how to fish and he’ll eat for the rest of his life”, the part that’s left out of that is, ” he will also be able to pass on those teachings and help others”.

I can tell you about my experience’s with Telelpathy and other forms of ESP, but it wouldn’t mean nearly as much to you, unless you have experienced them for yourself. I KNOW telepathy exist’s, but if you have never experienced it, the best you can do is hope, or have faith that others are telling you the truth about it.

Angelus

Ah, what a fantastic discussion. Spirituality and Religion(s) are topics that hold a deep place in my heart. I can see that we have some very educated people here. As a teacher, that also warms my heart.

I really liked the relation of religion and spirituality to food and nourishment. I thought that was a great image that can still bring respect to both. What has always concerned me is how some are quick to downgrade religion. Unfortunately that is often due to bad experience by people/institutions of those religions. So then they go off and find spirituality on their own.

I want to use Kol’s quote:

Quote:
    So…
    “What is the difference between religion and spirituality?”
    Spirituality comes from within you. Religion comes from outside of you.

That closely aligns with my view that religion is a very corporate thing – something you do with others. Spirituality is that which you do on your own. Sometimes you can do both at once. I have been blessed to have a community in which we can share in our growth. I can meditate on my own. But I can also meditate with others. in those times I feel connected to my inner self, the community, the universe, and the divine.

As Jax rightly points out “Religions can definitely be spiritual, but that is not a guarantee.” Always look at each particular community. See what work they are doing. Do not just “throw out the baby with the bathwater.”

The Great Hulking Scotsma
    Participant

1.  If you were to take a spirituality class, what would you expect and/or want to learn?  Why?

If I were to take a spirituality class I would like to learn everything I could, why ? because I was christened in the spiritualist church and have my own spirit name, I have abilties but would to advance them more and be able to use them

2.  What are your concerns about a class? People not taken it seriously or not have enough time to take part (time difference)

Charles
    Participant

1.  If you were to take a spirituality class, what would you expect and/or want to learn?  Why?

I would mostly expect and want to learn first off more of what defines spirituality outside of contexts such as religions, faiths, mythologies, and dogmas. Thats not my whole answere though.

My understanding of spirituality is… mixed somewhat in the way I view it. So with the rest of my answere take that into consideration.

I would expect it to then grow further upon that foundation of what spirituality is, into how spirituality works. I’d expect it to explore things such as how energy relates to spirituality, how we maintain, increase, condense, expand, and otherwise manipulate our own energy consciously as well as subconsciously and how we consciously and subconsciously do this to others around us. Lastly I would expect the courses to detail the building blocks and foundations of techniques, as well as how we design our own techniques within this, as it concerns spiritual structurization and restructurization within the external and internal realms.

What are your concerns about a class?

We don’t have that much time, after all I could fill pages on this. My greatest concern however is as it has always been. Spiritual awakening is a powerfull thing and all power has many uses in this world. Some of them good, some of them not so much. My concerns are as anyone elses would be. Anything learned can be taken many ways, so I would be concerned with how things might be misused, or even used improperly on accident, and what measures could be taken to lessen the impact of such problems before they occur. In the end though, these concerns may be somewhat foolish because most of the greatest lessons learned are those learned from falling down.

Jax
    Keymaster

Scottsman, I’d like to learn more about what a spiritualist church is, and what it is you learned there.  I don’t think this is a term we use in the US very much.

Lightning, what you describe goes into what we hope to do in advanced training, which we’re labeling esoterics because it brings in so many different areas.  Energy training is begun early, but initially it is separate from spirituality which has it’s own exercises.  But I’d really like to learn more about what you think about this.  Could we discuss over pm or email?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here