• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Setanaoko
    Participant

I’m not sure where to put this thread, so feel free to place it in it’s proper place, General Discussion was the only place I could think of. :)

I’ve thought about and pondered many times before in the past.  Last night however the question came up again as I started reading a book called “The Yoga of Time Travel” by Fred Alan Wolf.

We have all had times when we feel as though time is going slower for us. It is said that when you are having fun time goes faster. And then it is also said that as you grow older time speeds up. For me, time has always had a funky way of operating, and friends of mine have observed the same effects that I hae. I’m sure all of you have as well, because we all say stuff like “this week won’t end” or “time just flew away from me”.

We can’t control time. Even factoring in Einstien’s theory of Relativity, time will still pass at the same rate on a clock. If you refer to Einstien’s theory of relativity, it only says that time flows differently for an object in movement and an object standing still. That doesn’t change time, just the realitivity.

But here is where the pondering springs from. I have observed that there is no specific sequence of events that leads up to time being slower or faster for me. When I’m running, time isn’t slower or faster, it’s just there and I know I have to make my run in a certain amount of time. The observation of time going faster and slower could be me sitting down and doing something. It could be something easy or it could be something difficult. Neither subjects time. If I enjoy it, time passes slowly, if I enjoy it time seems to pass swiftly and it works the same with things that are difficult in those respects as well.

So what is it that makes our minds interpret time going faster or slower than the actual “real time” in the world. I’m curious to hear everyone’s thoughts on the subject. :)

Kol Drake

You hit it at the very end.

Time is a man-made concept to somehow the explain or understanding of “past, now, future”.
    Yes, if you looked at a clock, the seconds do not go faster or slower — the spring still unwinds and the cogs mesh as they always did and do.

It is the perception of time — our own perceiving of same — which makes it seem faster or slower… but we are not changing the local space/time continuum to make time alter around us.  (( Or most do not… perhaps those more adept can manipulate it? ))

There are ‘ways’ to make time SEEM to go faster or slower… but again, it is more about manipulating perception rather then time itself.  To give a comic fan/geek example — consider the Flash, super speedster.  When he hyperaccelerates, it is as if time slows and all grinds to a near stop.  The reality is, HE is hyper accelerating so we only ‘seem’ to be standing still yet.. the clock gears grind and we move about as always.  The Flash is moving SO fast, he is splitting a second into micro bits to perform all he does with in the same second all others move thru.

Consider the stupid Flash villian — the Turtle.  He moves at ‘hyper’ slow speeds.  Seeming to be moving in slow motion as compared to other normal people.  And yet, they still are working in standard ‘time’. 

Yep, being with a loved one — ‘hours fly by’. 
    Tedious tasks ‘drag’.

It’s all self perception.

For, one’s ‘love’ is anothers tedious task and vice versa.  So, a case can be made that while one is ‘hyper accelerating’ thru the moment; another next to them is dying in the extended drag of the same moment. 

Jax
    Keymaster

Actually, relatively does say that time is not a constant.  In fact, there are many calculations where time isn’t allowed to remain constant when you’re doing advanced physics.  It’s enough to drive me batty, but that’s why I didn’t get into theoretical physics.  If you take two clocks, synchronized, and then take one up on a high speed jet, it will come back reading a different time than the one left on the ground.  The length of the seconds measured by the clock that moved fast (and nowhere near the speed of light) is different from the ‘control’ clock on the ground.  Best I can tell, that’s time changing. 

As Kol said, however, time is a human construct.  From the non-physical perspective, time doesn’t exist at all.  We use it because our brains are setup in such a way as to require linearity and order to process what we experience.  But many of the rules we have about our world I would expect would not be true in another world elsewhere in the galaxy. 

So what is it that makes time pass slower or faster?  I would say it’s our state of mind – not whether we’re enjoying something or not, but our level of connection to our higher self.  At the soul level, time doesn’t exist, so we’d have a less tangible experience of time.  But that only takes into account certain experiences of no time, rather than fast or slow.  Hmmm…it seems to me that when we are distracted from how long something is taking, it goes faster.  When we are focused on the amount of time we are spending on something, enjoyable or not, it goes more slowly.  Unless we are trying to meet a deadline, when it moves fast again.  lol  I don’t know that there is a single answer to this, but I’d urge you to continue seeking the answers.  It’s a good question and could bring you many insights of yourself.  :-)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here