• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Kol Drake
    Quote:
    …But there really is nothing mystical or magical about spirituality once you get comfortable with it. 

Have to agree with you there.  It’s only ‘mysterious’ when it as yet unexplored.  Knowledge brings enlightenment and dispels the illusion.

Quote:
    … To me the term Mystic brings about images of mystery and illusion which are two things that spirituality should have nothing to do with since its only mysterious to those who don’t care to explore it.

This made me look at the origins of the word and what it’s definition is (not necessarily the one ‘most’ think it is…)

mys-tic
    Function:  adjective

—  having an import not apparent to the senses nor obvious to the intelligence; beyond ordinary understanding

— someone who believes in the existence of realities beyond human comprehension

— concerned with direct communication of the soul with God/Nature

There are other ‘common’ useages, but… seems to me, all three of the definitions listed above apply pretty well to anyone seeking to learn about ‘the Force’.

seeker125
    Participant
    Quote:
    We’ll never use those categories anyway, so I can’t see that it matters.

Oh, but it does matter, very much so, the views of all present day Jedi are all equally important.
    The online Jedi community is not limited to this one site and your personal views do not reflect those of everyone.  While these categorie may never be used in this acadamy, they may be taken up by others, so it is a good thing to discuss them and not dismiss them out of hand. 
    I ask you in all humility to be more open minded.  Like the ripples of pebbles thrown in a pond, everyones views, within the Jedi community will interact with each other and will have an effect.  :yoda

Aslyn
    Participant

I’m very much open-minded, Seeker, but I also have to apply a semblance of common sense, not to mention a rather significant understanding of offline practice. The larger-scale offline training being put into place (slowly but surely) is inevitably being designed along extremely practical lines, and as a consequence, you may well find that no such divisory concepts are included – we are, all of us, Jedi. Not Jedi Scholars, not Jedi Warriors, not Consulars, not Guardians. Just Jedi. That’s what we share in common. The things upon which we choose to focus will not interfere with that, and the names you choose to adopt as a consequence have no bearing on the fact that you are Jedi. That much I can say with certainty, and you’ll begin to see this over the next few months.

Memnoich
    Participant
    Quote:
    Quote:
    We avoid the use of the word ‘monk’ due to its masculine and religious overtones. Rather, we generally use the term ‘mystic’.

Just being all annoyingly PC and all  ;D

But there really is nothing mystical or magical about spirituality once you get comfortable with it.  To me the term Mystic brings about images of mystery and illusion which are two things that spirituality should have nothing to do with since its only mysterious to those who don’t care to explore it.  I was going to suggest “cleric” but then we’d all get mistaken for Muslim extremists.  Its hard to find a good word for one who is spiritually awake.  Good luck coming up with a good name for the monk but I agree with keeping it to the three if we have to divide into some branches.  I’ll stick with mind body and spirit being thirds of the whole and refuse to specialize, even if it keeps me from ever becoming a master of any one branch.

:rebel Rev

I could see using “Sage” or even “Loremaster”

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here