• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    janos718
    Participant

I really agree with you here a lot Inari. Attempting to take on the name Jedi doesnt mean you change the definition but the definition needs to change you.  What a Jedi is has already for the most part been laid out. All the feelings not only of anger, hate, greed and jealousy but also individualized love, pride, and last but certainly not least….  arrogance. You must be detached emotionally to truly walk this path only then can your mind be calm and clear enough to hear the will of the force and use it dispassionately for good and without emotion. It takes a lot of meditation and self discipline to completely empty the mind of all thoughts and just “be” and its even more sacrifice detaching yourself willingly from all in your life. Thats why the name Jedi carries with it all it does and we in this community should strive for it. We are focusing to much on somehow gaining some sort of false pride in calling ourselves a Jedi and instead of working hard at being one we are putting that energy into convincing everyone we are. Let go of pride its a form of greed (you keep wanting more once you get a little dont you?) and will lead to anger if its stepped upon and we know where that leads. Focus on feeling the force and emptying the mind not filling it with dilusions of grandure. Take the time you use discussing what “kind” of jedi you think you are and get with someone and try using the force to project an image to the other person and see if they describe it back. Work towards that…. ask questions how this can be done. Ask the instructors here  look it up online  this is not an easy path to follow Ok Ok Ive gone on long enough  Has this gotten thru to anyone?

Magdelene Nashira
    Participant

A true Jedi does not concern themself with whether or not they are a Jedi.  A true Jedi simply follows the path.

Jax
    Keymaster

I’m not looking to open this back up, but I would like to clarify, the point wasn’t what an individual decides, but what a community decides to define as Jedi.  And that is an important discussion to have.  Without actually bringing it up, who could know what everyone thinks?  Sometimes it’s the most basic questions that bring about the most enlightenment on a subject. 

janos718
    Participant

the topic says “right” to “claim” the name Jedi. The statement in itself should be looked at….  to claim something is to take possession which is against the Jedi way.

Jax
    Keymaster

Not necessarily.  Don’t get caught up in the semantics of words (which is why those words are in quotations) but the intent of the post.  This is a basic question that needs to be answered if there is to be this path called Jedi.  It’s not about whether you as an individual needs to use the word Jedi, but how to define a path that isn’t clearly defined in our world and experience. 

Spark Vallen
    Participant
    Quote:
    Code:
    So, what do you folks think? Does everyone have the right to be called a ‘Jedi’? Do standards, when developed, need to be strictly enforced? How much leeway is too much, or not enough?

There was a time in my online career where I used to get all in a fuss over what standards other people should adhere to in order to achieve their goals as a would-be Jedi.  And the older I became with each passing year and the more I began to separate my existence and purpose from the online realm (and read more of the Tao te Ching too), the more I began to ask myself, “Why am I fussing over whether __________ is being a Jedi to my specs?  Am I being a Jedi to my specs?” and that opened up a whole new can of worms as far as self-exploration and purpose in the world went!  :yoda

I’ve come to the point where I don’t seek to judge, verify or quantify anyone but me and those who have the unfortunate stature of being apprenticed to me.  And in the latter, that’s still loose in the sense that I just want to recognize them achieving their own goals and progress.  I also figure that if/when I again settle roots at an online academy I will read what standards they adhere to and choose to join based on those, or choose to co-exist with them even if I quietly may disagree on a point or two.  Or, I won’t stay.  It’s that simple, really. 

I read through the amazing six pages of conversation this topic spawned and greatly enjoyed taking in everyone’s POV.  There was one snippet I had to copy so I can re-paste with the quote thing though, because it made me grin:

“Frankly – I haven’t seen many taking classes – but for those new to the community.  I seldom/never see the older/long-time Jedi taking and completing classes.  There really isn’t much of a model out there for lifelong learning and training.”

I can only answer for myself – I was at Jedi Religion for a couple of years before it closed and was educated there, through the discussion boards, through conversations with other Jedi, classes, etc. I was eventually made a Knight, then a Jedi Scholar. This community does not recognize that work. They want you to go to their academies and gain credit there. I will admit that this has always been a sore spot to me because I have essentially done the work already and now I am being asked to do it again. I ask those who run these academies to ask themselves, “Would I want to go to another board and have to take classes over again when I already learned the material once before?” I don’t have all the time in the world because I am in school fulltime, work fulltime, and do volunteer work. I have recently thought about taking classes just for fun, to see if there is anything that I haven’t learned but I really think that it is ridiculous that a person who has been in the community for as long as I have has to take the same stuff over and over again because the present community members, some of whom have not been in it as long as I have, will not recognize what that person has already done. This is one of the reasons that I feel that there exist a kind of prejudice against the older Jedi as well as a huge gulf between the older Jedi and the newer Jedi.

This caught my attention because Jade Light had the unfortunate luck (haha) of working with me for a time at Jediism, so I recall when she was made a Knight, then a Scholar there (it feels like a lifetime ago now, to me!). 

Over the last decade, I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve been enrolled at a training program for one reason or another.  Sometimes, it was because the site was structured that way and it was required.  Other times, I chose to enroll in courses there because I felt there was something I did need to learn (and/or return) there.  The last two times were at Ashla Knights (entire program) and at the Force Academy (for their Universal Jedi program).  If I am joining somewhere new, there’s a part of me who feels I should begin anew if for no other reason than to prove my worth and dedication.  At Ashla, I’d been titled a Knight even so, but I went through the program because it was the right thing for me to be doing.

I do understand the time constraints that someone mentioned to taking classes all over again, but at the same time, I personally believe there is something to be gained each time one goes through material; that’s why I even post refresher lectures and meditations for people, even when they “ought” to be well-familiar with the content by now.  I think refreshers are good for us to firm up our foundations.  But that’s just me. :)

faris najib
    Participant

Greetings,

One thing that it seems permeated throughout this discussion is the idea of Community. For us to every come together on any concept of what makes a person eligible to be called a Jedi is for us to come together as a Community of like minded persons. In the end, a title is just so many letters put in a specific order. It is our actions that define who we are. This is at the core of being a Jedi, not a title. All of the learning, teaching, and interactions are all done with the goal of modifying our behavior to a particular end. Be that skills as a martial artist or a possessor of an inner peace. Each of us travel our own paths with our personal destination at our center. We will travel that path regardless of what we are called.

Remember the famous quote:

“What’s in a name? That which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet.”

Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)

While I do feel that titles do mean something to many, myself included at times, as Jedi we should not fall into that ownership mindset. It is easy to lose the idea of a rank as a external recognition of an internal achivement. One easily sees it as an entitlement, something that is deserved and that should be sought. Remember in E3, the anger that beset Anakin when he was not named a Jedi Master. The lack of that title ate away at him and led him to feelings of betrayal and hatred instead of being humbled to sit on the Council. Let us leave the title of Jedi to those that simply travel the Path. If we ever were to move to a rank system, we can easily fall into that dangerous path to possessiveness.

My simple 2 cents that is only worth about 1.2 cents in the current economy.

inari
    Participant

Hey, that’d be worth 3 cents here  in Oz.  ;)

Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here