• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Thoth
    Participant

The Phoenix Rises over Earth

All of the other aurora watchers had gone home. By 3:30 am in Iceland, on a quiet night last September, much of that night’s auroras had died down. Suddenly though, a new burst of particles streamed down from space, lighting up the Earth’s atmosphere once again. This time, unexpectedly, pareidoliacally, they created an amazing shape reminiscent of a giant phoenix. With camera equipment at the ready, two quick sky images were taken, followed immediately by a third of the land. The mountain in the background is Helgafell, while the small foreground river is called Kald√°, both located about 30 kilometers north of Iceland’s capital Reykjavik.

Seasoned skywatchers will note that just above the mountain, toward the left, is the constellation of ++Orion, while the Pleiades star cluster++ is also visible just above the frame center.

The new aurora lasted only a minute and would be gone forever — possibly dismissed as an embellished aberration — were it not captured in the featured, digitally-composed, image mosaic.

Image Credit & Copyright: Hallgrimur P. Helgason; Rollover Annotation: Judy Schmidt
    Explanation:

the website image shows constellations if you hold mouse over image
    http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap160316.html

the Phoenix is the house of Enoch in ancient text,Pleiades at cntr, i like it ;-)

Jax
    Keymaster

That’s super neat! A skywatching trip to Iceland is definitely on my bucket list. I’ve seen different types of auroras just a few times in my life. :-)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here