• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Daizan
    Participant

So yeah, the introduction thing.

Name’s Rodney, most folks online call me rev (lowercase is required ;) ) or the rev. My ordainment is through the Universal Life Church and the Church of Spiritual Humanism. Some of you might remember me from a brief time at JRA. Jax and Pyro know me from many long IM sessions.

I’ve trained in martial arts for 16 years, developing a personal style rooted physically in muay Thai along with few other things I’ve picked up over the years from sparring with other stylists, and philosophically rooted in the theory of Jeet Kune Do. I’ve also developed a personal sword form (rooted in Kendo) tested in countless full-contact sparring matches against single and multiple opponents.

I’m a practicing Zen Buddhist. For ten years I studied alone. Recently I’ve been studying with a Soto Zen sangha and supplementing that experience with the study of Master Hsing Yun’s Buddhist Humanism, the ideas of progressive Buddhism, and the teachings of Suzuki Shosan Roshi.

I was initiated as an “eclectic shaman” before my full conversion to Buddhism and do have  some experience in altered states of consciousness and magic(k)al theory.

I’m a father, a husband, a composer, and sometimes writer. I’ve even been called a philosopher once. :)

Am I a Jedi? Hmm that is a difficult question. If there is such a thing as a secular Jedi, then I may fit the bill. Probably the best way to explain my worldview is that I trust the experience but doubt the explanations.

Why am I here? I like meeting interesting people. I enjoy watching this particular path develop, and if I get the chance to help out an old friend or some new friends…well that is a good thing too. :)

Enough of my rambling.

R

Jax
    Keymaster

Welcome rev, glad you got around to posting :-)  The way I figure, the experience is what matters, the explanation is just the journey we’re on.  That changes over time and with new experiences.  So long as the actual experience isn’t discounted, I figure everything else is just minor.  :-)

Daizan
    Participant

heh, you knew it was only a matter of time.

I’d say that the experience is the journey and the explanation is just that.

It’s like looking at a tree in the yard. We have the exact same experience, but if we were to tell a third person about that tree they wouldn’t get the same story.

Problem is sometimes people trust the words of another (especially if this other is very eloquent) in spite of the fact that their own experiences may run contrary to what is being said. This is very harmful.

Can’t learn anything through blind acceptance.

Jax
    Keymaster

Nope.  That’s why I do my best to say that this is how I experience something, but that you might experience it differently.  Sometimes people are experiencing the Force but don’t know it because they think it should feel differently!  This is perhaps my biggest complaint about a lot of the older writings on energy work in the Jedi community.  If you don’t fit what they describe, then either you miss it, waste time trying to feel what they feel (which may not even be ‘right’ or healthy) or you feel you’re doing something wrong.  In any case, it’s all damaging to the student.  I hope we have succeeded where others fail in this case at the academy.  It certainly appears that we’re on the right track, based on the homeworks and posts I read. 

I think the explanation is tricky simply because words don’t adequately express the experience.  But, we do end up talking about it, and thus have to try to find the best way to express.  As long as people remain open minded about trying to understand the intent and meaning behind the words it usually goes pretty well.  When people get caught up on every little word, however, understanding goes right out the window. 

Leave it to you rev to bring up a whole discussion based on a simple introduction ;-)

Daizan
    Participant
    Quote:
    That’s why I do my best to say that this is how I experience something, but that you might experience it differently.

It’s a good approach to have.

Quote:
    Sometimes people are experiencing the Force but don’t know it because they think it should feel differently!

It kinda comes with the territory. It’s a difficult concept to define.

Quote:
    This is perhaps my biggest complaint about a lot of the older writings on energy work in the Jedi community.  If you don’t fit what they describe, then either you miss it, waste time trying to feel what they feel (which may not even be ‘right’ or healthy) or you feel you’re doing something wrong.

Indeed, it is hard to be supportive when someone feels that connection in a different fashion. I suppose the secret would be to go with the explanation that makes the most sense in terms of prior experience, or to locate the commonality in all experiences that are described and take the definition of the experience no further than that.

Quote:
    I hope we have succeeded where others fail in this case at the academy.  It certainly appears that we’re on the right track, based on the homeworks and posts I read.

I don’t know. Sometimes you can gain more from failure than from success. You can always try again. 

Quote:
    I think the explanation is tricky simply because words don’t adequately express the experience.  But, we do end up talking about it, and thus have to try to find the best way to express.

Simple and direct. The more complicated people try to make things, adding concepts on top of concepts to explain other concepts only clouds what is further.

Quote:
    As long as people remain open minded about trying to understand the intent and meaning behind the words it usually goes pretty well.  When people get caught up on every little word, however, understanding goes right out the window.

A good healthy dose of reason and skepticism can be of great benefit as well.

Quote:
    Leave it to you rev to bring up a whole discussion based on a simple introduction ;-)

I am writing a journal entry at the same time. So I guess it is to be expected.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here