• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Tai-Da
    Participant

Hello everyone I am writing a few articles on my views on the Force and I have made a start with Part 1. Before I post it below I would like to thank a few different people for certian different things. First of all I would like to that everyone here at the IJRS for helping me learn more about the Force. I would like to that Xhaiden and Charles for their articles in the library about the Force that has helped me create this part of my belief articles. And everyone else who has written articles on the Force that may have helped me with understanding more of the Force. :)

What is the Force

The Force is a lot like the Tao explained in the first verse of the Tao-Te-Ching. The First verse reads:

“The Tao that can be told,
    Is not the universal Tao.
    The Name that can be named,
    Is not the universal name.”

If we were to reword this verse to talk about the Force as opposed to the Tao it would read:

“The Force that can be told,
    Is not the universal Force.
    The Name that can be named,
    Is not the universal name.”

So before I starts rattling off more verses from the Tao what does these verses actually mean in terms of the Force. Well it is simpler than it may seem. There is a fine line between the unnamed (our intuition) and the named (our words in reasoning). This basically means that the Force cannot be told by words. Even the word “Force” does not tell us anything about the Force, because the Force has no universal name. God may be another name for “The Force” as might the Tao, Allah or even Brahman. To understand the Force we have to look to our own intuition and experiences. Words do not tell us much about the Force only what people may have experienced.

However just because the Force cannot be understood through people’s words this does not mean we cannot know things about it, as after all words do have some part to play. Words are for recognition for communication and nothing more. Words are symbols so that we can understand what people are saying to us. When talking about the Force it is necessary to open your mind to all possible names such as God, Allah, Tao, Brahman etc. This will give you a chance to know more about the Force and have a wider range of experiences that will aid you in understanding the Force.

Common views

There are many views about the Force that Jedi tend to believe in however some people agree with some of them and some people don’t. It backs up the expression “Everyone’s different”. One of the most common views among Jedi is that the Force is energy. The quote from Obi-Wan Kenobi in star wars episode one is one thing I believe the majority of Jedi agree with. This quote is “The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It’s an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us penetrates us and binds the galaxy together.”

This quote although it could be reworded better does tell us something important about the Force. The Force is in its simplest form is energy. It surrounds us it is within us and flows through us. The Force is everywhere and in everything. In the quote by Obi-Wan he states that “The Force is what gives a Jedi his power” and to an extent I agree with him, however what is the power he is referring to? Power of life? Force powers? Or another type of power? I feel that it is irrelevant what type of power as in my own theory the Force gives everyone power. Therefore the Force does not just give a Jedi power but all things.

The Force in its simplest form is energy as explained earlier, and during my time of Jedi studies I came across an article by Jedi Xhaiden that supported this statement of the Force being energy. The Force in its simplest form is energy. Everything is made up of microscopic particles that build up the foundation of everything. Our bodies, the earth, the sun, water, the air we breathe even our own thoughts. These particles I believe are the Force as I am sure many other Jedi would agree although some may disagree. So not only is the Force everywhere it is in everything. We are all part of the Force, and we exist not just within it but as part of it.

Another views common among Jedi is the aspects of the Force. These aspects are the Personal Force, Living Force and the Unifying or Guiding Force. These aspects are not separate parts of the Force they just help break the Force down so we can understand it. Therefore the parts of the Force we may refer to are not in anyway separate from the Force they are all just the Force broken down and given names.  

Kol Drake
    Quote:
    The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It’s an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.  
    — Obi Wan Kenobi, Star Wars episode IV “A New Hope”

Please note that the quotes you reference all came from the first movie… not the first episode.

Tai-Da
    Participant

Oh yes sorry my mistake. :)

How is the article anyhow?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here