• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    RiddleNox

“Chief William McManus of the San Antonio police on Friday pledged a thorough investigation of the fatal shooting of an unarmed man by an officer. The man, Antronie Scott, 36, was wanted on warrants for being a felon in possession in a firearm. He was spotted Thursday night by undercover detectives and pulled over by a uniformed officer. Chief McManus said that as the officer, John Lee, approached, Mr. Scott got out of the car quickly and spun toward him. “The officer shouted to ‘show me your hands,’ and as soon as that statement was made, you heard a gunshot and it hit the individual in the upper torso,” he said. He said the officer said he feared for his life. The chief said a dashboard camera did not record the shooting because of the way the officer’s car was parked, and the officer’s precinct has not distributed body cameras. There is audio of the encounter.”
    Link Source: http://nyti.ms/1nTDLfG

Jedi thoughts on guns? How much power should the police have? Do you feel strongly one way or the other?

What about Texas’s recent move to open carry? Opinions there?

Jax
    Keymaster

This is challenging because the cop has a reasonable reason to expect the victim to be carrying a weapon based on the warrants. Then the man moved quickly, which leaves little time to verify danger. Had the man moved slowly, kept his hands on the steering wheel, etc I would say the cop was absolutely wrong. But in this case, it seems horrible but reasonable.

In general, there are far too many unarmed people who are killed by cops, either because they aren’t given time to comply or because the cops are simply bad guys. And since these shootings are disproportionately on people of color (including Native Americans) that shows me a systemic problem with our society and the training of our cops. I get that cops have a tough job. They put themselves at risk too often. And many times the training isn’t sufficient for them to make good decisions. I believe we need more research into what makes effective and fair policing. We need to keep exploring non-lethal responses for the police so they have more tools. What is most telling to me is that other countries have found ways to police far more peacefully than we have here. It’s not something we can solve overnight but it’s in our best interest to keep trying.

As for open carry, I’m completely and utterly against it. First, it scares people. Second, you don’t know who is a good guy and a bad guy. There was the man in Colorado Springs last year who was carrying a rifle. The 911 operator said nothing could be done because open carry is allowed. This delayed a police response until he already shot people. That’s not ok. Also, open carry realistically only applies to white people. Black people are not given the benefit of the doubt even when carrying toy guns. I think open carry needs to go away and fast.

RiddleNox

Horrible but reasonable is a good way to describe it, I think.

What can we Jedi do?

Jax
    Keymaster

1. Educate ourself about the problem
    2. Work to enact change in policy
    3. Be aware of situations around us so we can be a good witness if needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here