• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jedi_Phoenix

I think as a Jedi, I found this topic very interesting.  Recently I’ve been studying what it means to be a leader, and how to best be a leader now that I have a more active manger role.  One ‘theory’ that came up was this idea of Self-Leadership.  The book that this topic is based upon that I read was “Self-Leadership and the One Minute Manager”. 

It was a fairly quick read(as in I read it in about one night).  But there was a lot of material worth looking at and digesting.  The mentor in the book walks this man through becoming a Self-Leader by learning three tricks.  For this discussion I’ll start with the first one

*Removing Assumed Constraints* 

Assumed constraints are basically any past beliefs or expectations that you set on yourself, that limit or control your present and future choices.  As a new leader, I have already had to deal with over-coming quite a few assumed constraints, including dealing with difficult staff members.  There was one in particular who I was concerned would fight me tooth and nail, every step of the way and be basically insubordinate.  However, they not only were the opposite, but at least in public they have been very positive about my promotion and willing to be a team player.  It showed me that I did have quite a few assumed constraints about this job; and I have started looking for where I hold them elsewhere in my life. 

As a Jedi, this is definitely a great topic to look at.  As Self-leaders, we all look to further develop ourselves and to help those around us.  Often times a debate arises of when it would be best to help someone, and when it might be best to let them learn on their own.  As Self-Leaders we have a job to evaluate all sorts of situations and learn what the best course of action is.  By being our own leaders, and understand our inner selves, we can be not just a well for others to come to, but a constant flowing river, empowering those around us.  (paraphrasing from the book there).

However, to help with this idea I’ll leave this quote:

“The only way in which anyone can lead you is to restore to you the belief in your own guidance.” ~ Henry Miller

By knowing our own minds, by learning what motivates us and drives us as Jedi, I think we can begin to cultivate the art of Leadership and in particular Self-Leadership.  I think this is an essential skill that all Jedi should learn, and one that if we can continually practice will not only make us effective Jedi, but effective human beings as well, in whatever we do.

Phoenix

Yoshio

Very interesting and in a way funny that You have posted it now as I’m working on the Personal 101 coursebook or more precisely on “The Will to Change”. I just have posted my thoughts to it on my blog.
    I feel that this topic “The Will to Change” and “Self-Leadership” are in a way related to each other.
    My main problem or if you want to put it that way my assumed constraint is the one of having time issues all the time. On one side I want to do some new things or old things but with spending more time with them but it always seems to me that the day has not enough hours to do so. In this way my constraint was that I said to myself: “You don’t have more time no matter how you put it and you have to get more sleep otherwise you will collapse.” But through the work on “The Will to Change” I dug a bit deeper and found out by being honest to myself that the key problem is not that there is to less time but more over that I spent it with unimportant stuff. Most of my free time is consumed by strolling to the internet for no special purpose. Now I will work on that and remind myself everytime, when I’m through wit the important things, that there are more interesting things to do then spending the time on the internet.
    That’s what I’m working on now and in a way leading myself to a better future.

Kol Drake

To take a slightly different look at this thread I toss out Self Management as much as Self Leadership.

After having been in the military and working for businesses big and small, I have seen more then my share of management styles and persons in leadership roles and been tossed into holding both ‘positions’… so, I toss out my fistful of cents.

Management and Leadership are not interchangeable words. We need both of them, for in part, management tends to be more internally focused (within a company, within an industry, within a person) whereas leadership is more externally focused on the future-forward actions you will take in the greater context of industry, community, or society. They have commonality to be sure, for instance, both are about capitalizing on human capacity, however they are defined by the differences we value in them:  Management tends to be about systems and processes, whereas Leadership is more about ideas and experiments.

Management is not just for managers, just as leadership is not just for leaders.   We all manage, and we all lead; these are not actions reserved for only those people who happen to hold these “positions” in a company. In my opinion, one can think of management and leadership as callings, and we all get these callings to manage and lead at different times, and to different degrees.

Considered another way, we can all learn to be more self-governing through the disciplines of great management and great leadership; these are concepts that can give us wonderful tenets to live and work by.

SO… here are the 12 ‘steps’ for self management… followed by the 12 for self leadership.  Be it a company or group or working to be the best Jedi you can be — hold to these ‘truths’ and success is a far surer bet.

SELF MANAGEMENT

1. Live by your values, whatever they are.
        You confuse people when you don’t, because they can’t predict how you’ll behave.

2. Speak up!
        No one can “hear” what you’re thinking without you be willing to stand up for it.
        Mind-reading is something most people can’t do.

3. Honor your own good word, and keep the promises you make.
        If not, people eventually stop believing most of what you say, and your words will no longer work for you.

4. When you ask for more responsibility, expect to be held fully accountable.
        This is what seizing ownership of something is all about; it’s usually an all or nothing kind of thing, and so
        you’ve got to treat it that way.

5. Don’t expect people to trust you if you aren’t willing to be trustworthy for them first and foremost.
        Trust is an outcome of fulfilled expectations.

6. Be more productive by creating good habits and rejecting bad ones.
        Good habits corral your energies into a momentum-building rhythm for you; bad habits sap your energies
        and drain you.

7. Have a good work ethic, for it seems to be getting rare today.
        Curious, for those “old-fashioned” values like dependability, timeliness, professionalism and diligence are
        prized more than ever before. Be action-oriented. Seek to make things work. Be willing to do what it takes.

8. Be interesting.
        Read voraciously, and listen to learn, then teach and share everything you know. No one owes you their
        attention; you have to earn it and keep attracting it.

9. Be nice.
        Be courteous, polite and respectful. Be considerate. Manners still count for an awful lot in life, and thank
        goodness they do.

10. Be self-disciplined.
         That’s what adults are supposed to “grow up” to be.

11. Don’t be a victim or a martyr.

You always have a choice, so don’t shy from it: Choose and choose without regret. Look forward and be
         enthusiastic.

12. Keep healthy and take care of yourself.
         Exercise your mind, body and spirit so you can be someone people count on, and so you can live
         expansively and with abundance.

Managers will tell you that they don’t really need to manage people who live by these rules; instead, they can devote their attentions to managing the businesses in which they all thrive. Chances are it will also be a place where great leaders are found.

Kol Drake

As noted in the previous post, I believe there is both art and discipline in each — self management and self leadership — and I think of these rules as the discipline which helps reveal the great capacity of the ‘art’.

Quote:
    There is a person with whom you spend more time than any other, a person who has more influence over you, and more ability to interfere with or to support your growth than anyone else. This ever-present companion is your own self.

Dr. Pamela Butler, Clinical Psychologist

Let’s face it, if we ever hope to be effective leaders of others, we must first be effective leaders of ourselves.

SELF LEADERSHIP

1. Set goals for your life; not just for your job.

What we think of as “meaning of life” goals affect your lifestyle outside of work too, and you get whole-life
        context, not just work-life, each feeding off the other.

2. Practice discretion constantly, and lead with the example of how your own good behavior does get
        great results.

Otherwise, why should anyone follow you when you lead?

3. Take initiative.
        Volunteer to be first. Be daring, bold, brave and fearless, willing to fall down, fail, and get up again for
        another round. Starting with vulnerability has this amazing way of making us stronger when all is done.

4. Be humble and give away the credit.
        Going before others is only part of leading; you have to go with them too. Therefore, they’ve got to want
        you around!

5. Learn to love ideas and experiments.
        Turn them into pilot programs that preface impulsive decisions. Everything was impossible until the first
        person did it.

6. Live in wonder.
        Wonder why, and prize “Why not?” as your favorite question. Be insatiably curious, and question everything.

7. There are some things you don’t take liberty with no matter how innovative you are when you lead.

For instance, to have integrity means to tell the truth. To be ethical is to do the right thing. These are not
        fuzzy concepts.

8. Believe that beauty exists in everything and in everyone, and then go about finding it.
        You’ll be amazed how little you have to invent and much is waiting to be displayed.

9. Actively reject pessimism and be an optimist.
        Say you have zero tolerance for negativity and self-fulfilling prophecies of doubt, and mean it.

10. Champion change.

As the saying goes, those who do what they’ve always done, will get what they’ve always gotten.
         The only things they do get more of are apathy, complacency, and boredom.

11. Be a lifelong learner, and be a fanatic about it.
         Surround yourself with mentors and people smarter than you. Seek to be continually inspired by
         something, learning what your triggers are.

12. Care for and about people.

Compassion and empathy become you, and keep you ever-connected to your humanity.
         People will choose you to lead them.

Jedi_Phoenix

I agree.  I heard a year ago that managing and leadership are different concepts in some regards, that what makes an effective leader isn’t the same as an effective manager; anyone can be thrown into management (my work is a great example of that) but how to self manage, how to actually be a self leader is the process you learn as you go through the year.  It takes more than experience, it takes time. 

I really like these summaries though, its probably something I will continue to review.  My particular thing that I’m processing is that whole attitude thing.  I promote being positive and being your own self-leader but at the same time, I sap my own energies at work with my own pessimism.  Definitely not jedi actions, but trying to change step by step.

Phoenix

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here