• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jax
    Keymaster

I stumbled upon a website today which teaches coping skills for empaths.  Then Hannigan recommended another website, so I’m posting them both here. I hope they are beneficial.

http://mysilentecho.com/dreamtongue1.htm
    http://www.eliselebeau.com/

Jedi_Phoenix

Ok I’ve only read the font page and I’ll I keep hearing in my head is “That’s me! That’s me!” I already knew I was an empath, but I’m wondering if I do some training with it if that might help some of my ‘issues.’ 

This could be what I need this break.

Phoenix

Jax
    Keymaster

:-)  Exactly the point of sharing it. 

inari
    Participant

I had a quick look too and the ‘dreamtongue’ looks quite interesting, though I think that I have managed to resolve any life-issues arising from my empathy by myself, and the course looks to be directed towards those still undergoing that process.

One thing I wonder from time to time is, what is the point of being empathic? For myself, it seems to smooth my path when it comes to interacting with people (and animals), it helps with kendo and when I was massaging, but it would be great if there was more to it. Neither of these sites answer the question, what do I do with my empathy?

Kol Drake

Science leans toward the idea that we are all empathic to one degree or another.  Even many ‘lower forms’ of animals show empathic natures.  It is something some nurture and cultivate while others ignore and let wither like an untended flower. 

Being an empath is a double edged sword.  On one hand, you have the ability to intuit exactly what you need to do to make someone comfortable. On the other, it is easy to lose track of what you need, because you are so accustomed to caring for others’ comfort before caring for your own. You have easy access to information about what is going on with the people around you, but sometimes it is hard to know your own mind.

Many medical practitioners want to be empathic “to a degree” since it aids in their ability to get to know the individual and their emotional situation but, also have to make certain empathic compassion does not turn into emotional attachment.  Great leaders also have empathy.  They use it to ‘feel’ for their followers; keep their humanity in their interactions so they can better understand where they are, how they are doing and where they can ‘take’ the edge in action/interaction.

Some people become empaths as a way to stay safe in their world.  If you know what those around you are feeling, then you know how to adjust what you say and do to make them comfortable so that they are safer people to be around, both emotionally and physically.  An empath can be a real chameleon, shifting tone of voice, conversation styles, body posture, and choice of tactics and actions to help the people that are around them to feel more at ease.  The problem with this is that they often lose track of what is actually authentic and true for themselves.

Empaths tend to caretake their environment as a way to care take themselves. This is a pretty roundabout way of doing self care. Doing or saying something that will make someone else angry or sad is uncomfortable for an empath, so that they often avoid confrontation in order to avoid feeling other people’s uncomfortable emotions. It is easy for them to lose track of the fact that they themselves are feeling uncomfortable.

Good or ‘bad’, empathy can become a part of the expanded awareness of being ‘One with the Force.’  When someone lays hands on a person, they can tell almost right away what emotions are lodged in that person’s body, what issues they are dealing with, and sometimes, even what they are thinking. On the other side of the coin, one can be ‘not true’ to one’s self because of the needs and the emotions of others, rationalizing that it was done ‘for the greater good’ of the situation/moment.

Given that the world as we know it is not exactly utopia, there is a vast pool of every conceivable feeling an emotion on every street corner!  It is hardly surprising that empaths often develop coping mechanisms to distract their attention and suppress their feelings.  For all that, being empathic / having an empathic nature is pretty cool.  Through personal and direct understanding it invites us to find the depths of compassion within our hearts for all other life forms.

But what ‘good’ is it to be empathic?  Empathic people can use their hands to read energy from people, making them outstanding healers, nurses, doctors and massage therapists. Empaths can feel when and where energy is flowing harmoniously or chaotically, and how to correct and balance it in people, and even in places. Empathic people are also excellent at real estate, interior design, and Feng Shui, because they can pick up on what other people want and need, and what makes others happy or uncomfortable – so they are also ideal matchmakers!  Empaths can intuitively read the energetic impressions that have embedded themselves in a particular place or thing using the psychic gift of psychometry, which is often employed by psychic detectives.

Quote:
    “Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship.”

Luminous Beings are we.  Darn that Yoda guy was one smart… um, little green thingee guy.  Being open to the Force lets us be open to all that IS the Force… and ‘that’ is all of Life.  Me, you, that tree and more.  Being able to ‘feel’ how that ‘other Life’ is within the Force is … a pretty amazing deal imo.

inari
    Participant

Great post Kol, as always. I certainly find that I have to be careful to maintain my boundaries and not get (too) caught up in making things comfortable for everyone else. One of the things I’ve had to learn is to harden myself and be able to separate myself from others, this is where lessons on boundaries etc come in handy. Just because someone is unhappy or uncomfortable and you know it, that doesn’t mean that it is always your responsibility to do something about it. Otherwise there is no time or energy in the day for doing anything else.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here