• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    inari
    Participant

I once suggested that I’d be willing to host a gathering in Australia, since I’m now living in NZ I was wondering who would be interested in traveling to NZ for a gathering, perhaps a long one of two weeks with some touristy stuff included. Now that I’m more experienced with the weather here (though yet to experience the winter) I think that a summer here (winter US) time would be best.

I’m looking for serious submissions of interest.

Inari.

Jax
    Keymaster

I’m seriously interested.  By 2010 do you mean like the October/November 2010 time frame, or February 2010 ish?  I’d love to get back to NZ and explore.  Plus, I’d love to see you again and meet the rest of the family.  I’m definitely in!

inari
    Participant

As to exactly when, I’ll wait to see if any preferences emerge. Warm weather is my strong recommendation though. I saved enough to go to the US in 10 months when I went over, (paid cash for everything) but of course not everyone can do that.

Jax
    Keymaster

I was planning a bit oregon trip for after my certification, but then realized the scheduling would push it out to spring 2010 instead of fall (new astronaut class to train, basically a huge training load that will mean vacations are delayed).  If necessary, I’d consider putting off oregon (or shortening it) to do this instead.  But I think I’d prefer fall 2010 to give Carrie more time to heal.

inari
    Participant

Well, I’ll start with the following proposed dates. It is necessary for me for this to be in school holidays. I also understand that some of these dates fall within religious holidays such as Easter and certain Jewish dates. I ask that people be open to the idea of perhaps celebrating special times with friends instead of family, just once.

Suggestion 1: 5th April 2010 – 16th April 2010. Starts on Easter Monday. That is 1 year from now, the weather is OK at this time.

Suggestion 2:  27th Sept 2010 – 8th Oct 2010. Not sure what the weather will be like but suspect cold. Snow season doesn’t officially end ’till Nov.

Suggestion 3: A ‘green’ Xmas or New Years 2011 (i.e. 20th Dec onwards. It would certainly be a Xmas you’d never forget!

What is the feedback about these ideas?

Oh, and after discussion with the hubby we could accommodate 6 or 7 people at my house.

Benjamin
    Participant

I would be in, would love to visit and meet at some stage :)

Pitty you just moved from Adelaide (now that would have made things easy)

:rebel

Jax
    Keymaster

Honestly, I wouldn’t mind Christmas, as I’m off from Christmas Eve to New Years with pay, and can easily add a few more vacation days to that to make a good trip.  I landed in NZ on Christmas Eve when I was on my way to the Pole, so I know the weather is awesome then.  I’d have to wait and see what happens with health issues here to know if April would work. 

Jedi_Phoenix

I like the ‘green’ christmas idea myself actually! These dates are right in between semesters for me in college!!!

inari
    Participant

Well, from the feedback here and at the Gatherings site I’m going to suggest that this be held after Xmas 2010, perhaps encompassing New Years Eve 2010 and we’ll have a party. How about a tentative ‘booking’ of the 2 weeks after Xmas (which falls on a Sat in 2010) from Mon 27th Dec. If people would like to come a little earlier and experience a ‘green’ Xmas they are most welcome, I’m a good cook  :D

It will probably be a good idea to have a calender of ‘official’ events at a later stage, encompassing several days of activities in that 2 week timeframe.

Note for those coming from the US. In terms of jet lag, it doesn’t tend to be too bad traveling West. It is much worse going back East again (i.e. from NZ to America) and I strongly suggest you allow a day or two of not-working time to get your body clocks set back again when you get home.

inari
    Participant

I had a bit of a chat with Moonshadow about this yesterday and some alternate dates for an ‘official’ gathering could be Dec 31st 2010 – Jan 7th 2011. This would give people up to a week to get themselves together after Xmas to travel.

However, if it were to start on the 27th (not a good date, now I think of it, perhaps 28th would be better) then people in America would probably need to arrange to fly from LA or San Fran (probably LA) on the 26th. They would land at Auckland or Christchurch and then come on to Dunedin on the 27h because when you are flying west you lose a day. So, now I think of it we wouldn’t be able to have it on the 27th.

To arrive for Friday 31st, you would need to leave the US on Wed 29th at the latest.

The link to the discussion at the Gatherings site is http://www.jediresourcecenter.org/smf/gathering-proposals/proposed-nz-2010-gathering/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here