• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    steven.drew2
    Participant

If anyone needs tips on Physical Training, in order to get back into shape/get into shape, I would be happy to help in anyway I can.

Anonymous

Got to meet wit Steven at the Louisiana Jedi Gather.  He successfully lead a stretching session for us.  He does have knowledge of fitness from his Guard duty it is some good knowledge.  I am currently working on a fitness lesson for the Health and Fitness program over at the Academy.  Hopefully it will be up by the end of summer.  I have a degree in Personal Fitness and am a certified Personal Fitness Trainer.  I do not charge Jedi for my knowledge.  Feel free to email me if you have fitness questions.

Anonymous

Hey guys :) Yeah I know, I’ve kinda dropped off the face of the planet :P If anyone wants to know what I do for Physical Training, just ask myself or  :mara. I’m currently serving as a member of American YouthWorks’ Environmental Corps. We do about 30-45 minutes of ‘normal’ PT every morning. This includes Pushups, crunches, and other exercises and stretches. And then of course, there is the stuff I do for the rest of the day :D My normal day cvonsists of brush clearing/trail cutting or habitat restoration.  For those of you unfamiliar with this, it includes cutting down small trees, vines, weeds, and clearing larger trees as we clear the trail corridor. This is not an easy task, as we routinely have to drag large trees as we cut them down. I have, in the past three weeks, gained a lot from my work with the Environmental Corps, but more imjportantly, is what I am giving back :) It’s very rewarding when we finish a trail, and we get to see how much we did. Just last week, we cut a trail for scientists to be able to go and study the Houston Toad. We started that trail during orientation, and finished it this week. What a wonderful feeling that is :)

Jax
    Keymaster

Never underestimate the value of physical labor as exercise.  After all, that’s what our ancestors did!  it’s not like they sat around doing a workout, they just worked hard :-D

Anonymous

Agreed

runnergirl.89
    Participant

Any tips for sore legs/hips, other than ice. I’ve been running a lot over the last few days because of a challenge I joined at nike.com. I have to run 80 miles in two months and I’ve done 12.73 miles in 3 days. I’m getting back into shape as well but I used to do this for cross-country.

Aslyn
    Participant

Warm water and light exercise – if your muscles have tightened up or strained, warmth will cause them to relax and loosen up. Then lightly push your exercise levels up until you’re no longer straining the muscles.

runnergirl.89
    Participant

Thanks Aslyn,
    I soaked in warm water for about 20 minutes last night w/epsum salt. It did wonders for my legs. I’ve done ice baths but those seem to make it worse for me, even when my coaches/dad tell me to keep using ice. I’m also taking the day off and then I’ll see how I feel tomorrow morning before I go out for a run.

Aslyn
    Participant

Sometimes it’s good to use cold compresses, but that’s only if you’ve torn or pulled your muscle. Otherwise, it’s likely that the muscle has just tensed, and using something warm therefore causes the muscles to relax. Once they have done, get back to exercising ASAP.

Jax
    Keymaster

The ice is to take down any swelling.  Yes, it gives muscle cramps, but you have to get swelling down.  Otherwise small injuries don’t heal.  Do you guys have a whole foods or central market grocery store?  You should get something called arnica gel for any swelling you have.  The brand in particular that you should get is Boericke and Tafel.  A picture is at this website.  If you can get it online that works too.  Otherwise, the next time you end up in Austin you’ll want to pick some up.  It’s amazing with swelling, much better than ice alone, and better than anything else I’ve ever seen.  

But if you don’t have swelling or bruising then I wouldn’t worry about it.  lol

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here