• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Charles
    Participant

I will await with baited breath (gave it since I woke up to post, so as not to rush my waiting  ;D )

Jax
    Keymaster

Thanks.  Unfortunately I’m having trouble breathing due to bronchitis, so I’m a bit slow getting to all this.  Work has priority at the moment.  perhaps I can find a link to Neale explaining this, since he does it so well.  I mean, I’m just a student of all this, he’s the teacher.  While it’s useful for me to explain, it’s very difficult for me to do so, due to lack of sleep and air.  :-)

inari
    Participant

Going back to the original quote

Quote:
    “No one does anything inappropriate, given their model of the world.”

The way I would interpret this, and it’s not the first time that I’ve come across this concept, is that people are capable of justifying anything to themselves, to shut up that niggling voice of conscience. Let’s take the Nazi’s. They managed to twist around their concepts of right and wrong, even human and not-human, to justify to themselves that genocide was OK (perhaps renaming it ‘ethnic cleansing’ helped there. Let’s look at another example, the current war in Iraq. The administration in the White House had a particular way of looking at Iraq that, to them, justified and continues to justify their work in Iraq. Looking at it from another perspective, the citizens of Iraq may have initially been pleased to be rid of Saddam (those whom he oppressed), then after massive civilian losses over the years may now have a different view.

The way we look at the world depends on so many things, our culture, our individual upbringing, our personal experience, our individual personality. This is what is meant by the  ‘model’, the framework in which we, as individuals, view and interact with the wider world. This is the key concept here, this ‘model’. People who have grown up in families where crime was routine, and they received approval from others for actions that others consider wrong will have a different view of right and wrong, at least initially, from those who grew up in more ‘normal’ families. No one ever thinks of themselves as a ‘bad guy’, there is always some justification for their actions in their own minds, even if those reasons are clearly excuses when told to other people. Yes, polygraph tests can detect lies, BUT if the person believes it is truth, then the polygraph will not pick that up. It is the belief, the utter conviction that is associated with a personal model of the world that enables these people to ‘lie’ to the polygraph.

Truth, even, can be dependent on a certain point of view. This is a concept I pondered a while back, there should be thread around here somewhere about it.

One of the things we are working on here at the Academy is to build, or refine, the model of what a Jedi is and some examples of how they should behave. As Charles and Talon said, you know intuitively when you’ve gone outside of the ‘ideal’ and give yourself that well-deserved kick in the butt. If someone else doesn’t do it for you first  ;D

Charles
    Participant

Exactly inari, and that means the most terrible of wrongs is when you justify doing something you already knew was wrong to begin with.

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here