• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 131 through 140 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    Kol Drake

Having too many options can paralyze as much as not having any. The creative juice needs an outlet to keep it flowing. Pick one thing and put your energies into it. Don’t let the plethora of other ‘maybes’ take away your focus. Give it 3 to 6 months. If it just isn’t ‘clicking’, take a new ‘one thing’. What you learned from the previous ‘one thing’ may help improve the next ‘one thing’ or lead you to an amalgam of ‘one things’ you would have never thought of previously. Just don’t leave a dozen piles of ‘maybe one day projects’ sitting about the house, gathering dust and beating yourself up for not being a cross between Thomas Edison, Nikolai Tesla, Albert Einstein, the Beatles, and Picasso… do YOUR thing and make it awesome.

Jax
    Keymaster

You may also want to experiment with asking questions. What desires my attention today? What would be the greatest contribution to my life today? Play around with it and see where you are lead. Good luck!

Nitsud
    Participant

You know what they say… when you fall off the horse you get up and you eat that horse. One bite at a time.

Thank you, good advice all around. Stuff I kinda already knew but since it’s bunched up with other stuff… outside perspective is good. ;)

Jax
    Keymaster

We all need reminders from time to time. :-)

Nitsud
    Participant

Things fit in 3D
    But they live and change in four
    Think outside the cube

Came across this haiku while sorting through my archives. I wrote it in late December.

Nitsud
    Participant

OMF (Oh my Force), where to start? Hmm… why does it appear as though nothing has changed in my life while feeling like everything has changed? It’s been a day-in, month-out sort of year and so hot this year that I’ve only had to mow the lawn once. At least it isn’t mine. I’ve probably enjoyed the election season a little more than most. It makes a good excuse to stir the pot a little; poke people out of complacency into some healthy discourse. A loooot of discourse going on in this country over feminism and Black Lives Matter issues, that’s good. Social issues getting put on the table are inevitably painful but ultimately the only way progress gets made. How about that Pokemon Go, huh? It got my wife and I out of the house walking a TON. That trend cooled off when I accidentally blew up the data-plan though. It may start again when it gets cooler.

I’ve gone to a couple astronomy club get together’s, got to touch some telescopes well outta my price range. I went to the coast for four days last weekend but evenings were too humid and cloudy to get to see any Persied action. The calendar aspect of my subject tracking is pretty close to functional, with another little push I hope to be able to actually foresee and find plans for that sort of event.

As to that subject tracking thing OneNote’s out. I’m all in with TheBrain now but I’d started over since I’m using its cloud service. Less secure but I can access it from my phone. Piddly nuances that only pertain to me probably, but they’ve added up over time. It took a week to get Linux on my Surface, and it’s barely usable. I mainly only use it to learn C. Luckily it dual-boots.

The Fam is doing well. This summer Lorelai seems to be doing some transition from child to adolescent. She’s aware of more social nuances as people interact and peck into order. I think her will is seeming less free so she’s getting an independent streak, which isn’t a bad thing. Regular chore-like responsibilities are soon to come. Atticus is potty training still. Can’t wait for that to be over. Hopefully it’ll be soon, the guys is getting smarter all the time. Or we’re getting better at mitigating his attention span. Caitlin is well… things may happen. Not for me to divulge but time will tell. Cryptic!

Just a quick state of my union address, I’ll go back to lurking around.

Jax
    Keymaster

Thanks for the update. We had clouds and also missed the meteor shower. Next year!

Nitsud
    Participant

So my wife ended up not getting the job which would have had us moving to Denver. We were really battening down the hatches by cleaning up excess junk we haven’t needed since our move a year and a half ago, looking for schools, polishing my resume, etc. Obviously the dropped possibility of a crazy interstate move comes as a little bitter sweet. There is still a possibility of it happening in the next few years though so maybe it’s just been good practice.

Me, I’ve started doing a couple sets of 3rd world squats every mornings. An awareness grown by noticing my daughter resting down there in that position like it was nothing and people in places without chairs doing so comfortably as well. I started wondering if I should associate my inability to do it with a posture/flexibility shortcoming.

Working on reading at night has screwed up my sleep schedule, it’s a problem when I don’t want to put a book down then sacrifice sleep. But I don’t want to not read… this is an issue I swept under the rug when I stopped gaming then again when I stopped reading books. That was to get control of my schedule. After constructing my comment on StormyKat’s training thread I realized that meditation methods I found hard coincided with this. I’m pretty good at outright calming and muting my thoughts may coincide naturally with being emotionally stoic, unsure though. Focus redirection, thought ownership, reining in indulgence… however that sort of thing might be described, I could use some practice. So my plan is to still read and count that as evening meditation but put myself on a schedule and stop regardless of chapter, paragraph, etc. Then wake in the morning, meditate, work out, etc. We’ll see.

Related-note:
    SW: Aftermath reads like an X-Wing novel, so I enjoyed the crap out of it even if I didn’t take much out of it.

Ready Player One is really good for anyone who enjoyed the Hunger Games or The Giver novels. Most of the 80’s references were lost on me, I grew up in the 90’s, but the nostalgic factor was still relatable and made me want to play or watch the media the characters were so passionate about. I sense game emulators in my future.

Nitsud
    Participant

Gene Wilder’s personal vs private quote has been stuck in my head over the last few days too: “There’s no point in doing something like this unless you’re going to talk about personal things.  Personal is what’s the closest thing to my heart, what matters to me?  What do I feel strongly about?  Private is names, addresses telephone numbers, what color is their hair.”

Putting information online can be a risky thing if you don’t know what’s valuable to those who’d take advantage. Security is usually a difficult thing to approach and Gene’s distinction makes it pretty cut and dry. Cloud services are pretty handy for having things on my phone and across multiple computers but if something is there it’s effectively being stored on other people’s possessions; like storing stuff in your neighbors garage… I wouldn’t put stuff there I wouldn’t want gone through or stolen. The ability to talk about personal stuff can bring value to some things or declutter, it maintains personal definition of what’s public, personal, or private.

Dunno, just an ongoing thought process.

Kol Drake

heh.. I remember doing the ‘squat in place’ sitting when I was a kid.
    I wonder why we move away from that?

AND… you are pretty scary.
    You’ve mentioned both books I just finished reading not long ago. I would agree with your comments on both books. — though, I lived thru the arcade + early video ‘revolution’… so those references were ‘just’ ancient personal history. :p

Viewing 10 posts - 131 through 140 (of 147 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here