• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

reikilaw.jpg

Bright Falcon
    Participant

I wish this was a joke. I really really wish this was a bad joke. |head-desk; head-desk; head-desk|

Innocence_Lost
    Participant

Seriously, i am not licensed but i am certified, and i don’t give massage to any but my closest friend (couldn’t find a job here so no point in paying for the license). It is sad when some bad people make good people pay for their own misdeeds.

Jax
    Keymaster

True, but there’s also something called responsibility on the part of the lawmakers.  There seems to be a distinct lack of thought going on lately, so laws end up with a lot of unintended consequences that aren’t too hard to see ahead of time.

Anonymous

An interesting note: Reiki doesn’t have to be hands-on. It can be just as effective if its done holding the hands a few inches away from the body (in the person’s aura. This therefore sidesteps the issues of it beeing a touch modality. Also, if you are any kind of reputable energy worker, one would not ask their clients to disrobe, as it is completely unnecessary and unethical.

Bright Falcon
    Participant

As far as reiki goes, I don’t have the experience to say. As far as whether or not your clients are clothed, if you note the law doesn’t care. It just says ‘making bodily contact’. That could mean holding hands, foot rubs (reflexology anyone?), or any kind of physical contact, depending on how anal the interpreter is being, it might even mean contact through clothes. Acupressure is definitelly affected, as are a number of other modalities I can think of.

And a point Calista and I were discussing before: it doesn’t reallly matter how the law was intended, because any competitor, any annoyed client, anyone can call the police and make a complaint, even if you’ve done nothing wrong, and the police will have to investigate. If you are offering any modality which involves physical contact without a license you are in violation. Is that kind of thing going to happen often? Probably not. But according to this article there are already some massage therapists, whose ethics I consider questionable, who intend to use this law to their own advantage by going after competitors who are not following the letter of the law.

Also, once you start finding loopholes and ways to avoid a law, you have stopped making the law work for you, and are instead evading the law. Better, both on an individual basis, and for the alternative health community as a whole. to force the law to work for us, and acknowledge our right to practice, then to keep our heads down and hope the next law doesn’t close the loophole we’re hiding behind.

inari
    Participant

Don’t we just love thoughtful laws and polices.

Kol Drake

I really wonder just how much of an ‘error’ this was.

I was living in Texas in the mid 80’s and on into the mid 90’s…. and there were several legislative efforts to restrict and down right ‘shut down’  alternative practices of all sorts…..  health food stores which sold ‘herbal suppliments’, corrective ‘massage’/body manipulation, even non contact energy workers.

Most were defeated (narrowly) but had the backing of a strong (old farts / good old boy) medical community who worried they would lose business (money) if other methods were available to their patients.

Sad to see the trend has continued from the 90’s to the ‘next century’.

Innocence_Lost
    Participant

Unfortunately the rich want to stay rich, and if they have to make someone else poor by doing so they will. Greed, pride, envy; all vicious human traits.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here