• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    jdmcowan
    Participant

I have been hanging around for a while and even posted a couple times last year, but I never introduced myself or seriously looked at the training available.  Now, returning from The Gathering, I am energized about making my Jedi training a little more focused.

I am 40 years old and a podiatrist by profession.  I am a healer and a teacher by inclination.  I have studied aspects of spiritual and physical development since a very young age and Jedi Realism seems to do a better job of bringing it all together than any one path I’ve examined before (and throws in lightsabers to boot).  Though much of my previous studies have been from a scientific/practical standpoint.

For my current physical development I study a family group of arts with a sensei in Japan which includes kenjutsu (sword) and jujutsu (grappling).  I am also currently studying Aikido (a standing Japanese grappling art) and Kyudo (Japanese long bow archery) in Chicago.  My sensei in these arts all focus on improving your calmness and control over your strength or toughness.

Academically my main extracurricular study is that I am trying to learn the Japanese language.  I am teaching myself from a collection of materials.  I consider myself to be an amateur linguist.  I have studied many languages, though I would only consider myself fluent in English and Spanish at the moment.  However, I am decently conversant in French and Klingon.  My favorite language is probably Gaelic (that would be the Scottish variety, not Irish), but it has had to take a back seat to the desire to speak with my sensei in his first language.

In addition to all that, I am very active in my church.  I am an ordained elder and a representative to the local church government.  I am a Sunday School teacher and occasionally an adult bible study leader and preacher.

Along with my 12 year old son, I am trying to be an active and participatory member of my local Jedi chapter (led by Angelus).  I have even tried to bring some of my own training to the chapter by arranging an archery lesson (and another to come soon, hopefully).  I’m also trying to see if I can set up a cutting session (using swords to cut straw mats).

I hope that I will also have many opportunities to learn here.  I am planning to start the introductory course soon.  But I also hope to share in many of the conversations going on here.

I love to talk about myself, so feel free to ask me any questions about my introduction.

Zen-ryo Senshi

Jedi_Phoenix

Wow, that is a nice lenghty introduction.  Thanks for sharing all that!

So your from the Chicago area? Angelus is a pretty cool guy isn’t he? I hope you enjoy your studies here at the Institute and look forward to your particiapation in discussions  ;D

Jax
    Keymaster

Welcome! Does your son want to start the intro course as well? You could train together. ;-)

Beral Khan
    Participant

Welcome Zen-ryo,

I look forward to your posts.

jdmcowan
    Participant

Thank you, everyone, for the welcomes.

Quote:
    So your from the Chicago area? Angelus is a pretty cool guy isn’t he?

I am one of only two or three that actually live IN Chicago.  Angelus is a very cool guy.  And he deserves a lot of credit for putting together an offline group that is active and growing.

Zen-ryo

jdmcowan
    Participant
    Quote:
    Does your son want to start the intro course as well?

He’s at an age where academics may turn him off completely.  He enjoys our meetings because of the physical aspects and because he feels like his opinions are respected during our philosophical discussions.  Not having experienced the courses here myself, I don’t know how to present them to him or if it would be the kind of thing that he would enjoy.  I do intend to present him the opportunity, but I at least want to get well into the introductory lesson first so I know how to present it to him and can tell him what to expect.

Zen-ryo

Jax
    Keymaster

That’s a perfectly valid response, I understand the importance of not turning off a kid due to format.  :-)  He’ll learn plenty informally between you and the chapter meetings as well, just wanted you to know it was an option.

Angelus

Hooray! Another from my chapter joins the site. Welcome.

Adana
    Participant

Hello Zen, it’s great to see you here too and I enjoyed meeting you at the Gathering. Please tell your son and wife that Mikey says hello as well and misses hanging out with them.

You will like this site and enjoy classes as well. One thing about this site is that we can discuss any topic in a civilized and intelligent manner. I hope to see yoyu around the forum regularly.

Angelus is a  great guy and has left quite an impact on me from the first time I met him in person two years ago.

jdmcowan
    Participant
    Quote:
    Hooray! Another from my chapter joins the site. Welcome.

I saw Tiphereth (sp?) here.  Anyone else made the jump from offline to online?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here