• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kai-An
    Participant

http://www.dayofsilence.org/

Much love,
    Kai-An

Jax
    Keymaster

You’re in california, right Kai-an?  How is the day of silence handled in your school?  Do people cause problems?  Do people actually talk about the issues?  You have no idea how different things are in high school now even from when I graduated 10 years ago.  It’s amazing!

Kai-An
    Participant

We just started a GSA at our school and we’ve faced some problems. Although the administration says that they’re fine with it and that there is no prejudice, they have us take down the statistics we’ve posted or the discussions on the bulletin board about Bisexuality when the board of trustees comes. They try to hide us away or limit our mobility, but we’re working through that, and I think we’ll be fine once the club really gets settled.

The day of silence is handled pretty well, although I have to keep explaining to people what it is by writing it on the board, but people don’t cause problems. The teachers are very understanding and don’t require you to speak. The GSA debreifed the day afterwards and we think it went pretty well, although once again the administration didn’t allow us to publicize the event. We’ll get it together better for next year. ^_^

Much love,
    Kai-An

Hybrid Dawn
    Participant

I tried to get a day of silence set up at my school but sadly it was clashing with the student council elections that I was also a part of. Administration said it would be far too difficult to get people involved if their were a series of speeches throughout the day, I also wouldn’t have been able to participate because I myself had to give a speech.

I did take time at an after school event where most of the student body was to adress the issue and my band and I played a song dedicated to all those who dealt with adversity due to their sexual orientation.

hopefully I can get one going next year though.

Jax
    Keymaster

Yes, sometimes conflicts do arise.  I’ve never taken part myself.  I didn’t know about it in high school, and in college I didn’t want to not participate in my education just to make a point.  I support those that do, however.  What you did was good too though.  The point is to bring awareness to the issues. 

I helped form the first gsa at my college freshman year.  We had a jeans day, which basically was, if you supported gay rights, wear jeans.  What it turns into is, those who are anti-gay having to find something in their closet that wasn’t jeans.  Therefore, they had to make the effort to change their plans to make their point.  We were able to wear jeans like normal and relax.  It placed the spotlight on those who were bigoted.  Plus, it caused a bit of debate in the papers, which I still have 9 years later.  Note, this is a small private somewhat religious school, in the bible belt of southern Indiana, before things like gsas popped up everywhere, and gay marriage was legal in canada and being faught out in the courts.  It’s amazing to me how much things have changed.

Now, I think the best activism I can do is mention my wife in conversation.  I don’t do it to cause a fuss, but I don’t hide it either.  Straight people mention their boyfriends/girlfriends or spouses all the time in conversation, and it isn’t a big deal.  Yet if I say it to the wrong person, just as casually, now I’m pushing a homosexual agenda (which is something they made up in the first place).  This is what the day of silence is meant to address.  I just choose to address it with my voice.  After all, how many straight couples can say they’ve been together for 7 1/2 years without major trouble, while dealing with major health issues and other stresses?  I don’t need their approval. ;-)  But I’m also not going to let them legislate me to an inferior status. 

Your rights end when they inflict upon anothers. 

Kai-An
    Participant

Your rights end when they inflict upon anothers.

Exactly.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here