• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    JKBarger
    Participant

When i was doing my internship at the Shinto Shrine in Washington state, kuji kiri was employed during misogi.  We also had a special mudra we used during that and chinkon meditation that served to function as an ‘antenna’ for ki that was moved around in the air like someone stirring a pot.  I was also instructed in the associated elements and ‘chakras’ associated with them- pinky, ring, middle, fore, and thumb equate with Earth, Water, Fire, Air, and Mind/space/ether, or base, sacral, solar, heart, and midbrain. 

You can use this system of correspondences to mimic and feel what other mudras can do.  It’s pretty interesting!!

One-Winged Angel
    Participant

Alas, hand positions in meditation genuinely do not interest me; as I only have one hand, I generally just find a position that’s comfortable, and leave it at that.

Jax
    Keymaster

Lol True, but you can learn about the energy connections formed when different fingers touch with just one hand. If it interests you in the future. ;-)

One-Winged Angel
    Participant

That’s fair enough, and I have read about such connections briefly. It’s not something I’ve ever felt the need to use in practice, but it is useful information to have.

Setanaoko
    Participant

I’ve used the “alchemical triangles” for Earth, Air, Fire and Water from time to time depending on what it is I want to focus on or where I am.  I simply use them to give my hands something to do, really.

As to the Kuji no in, I’ve always been interested in this…though…to be fully honest, my interests sprang forth from Sailor Mars (yes, yes, I know, I am a total Sailor Moon Otaku- first my name [Setanaoko] and now my other random interests from the series- get over it ;) ).  I have yet to see the practice in person or get a full explanation on it.  I wish I could find someone at one of the shrines here in Japan to explain it…problem is…they all speak Japanese…and well I can’t get anyone to help me learn Japanese (they all rather learn english :( )

Brandel Valico
    Participant

Perhaps you should instead offer to exchange lessons with them. You will help them learn English and in return they help you learn Japanese.

JKBarger
    Participant

Setanaoko-

Japanese are a strange folk, especially when it comes to letting ‘outsiders’ ‘in’.  Perhaps if you became involved in the activities of the Buddhist or Shinto group out there, I’m sure after a little while they will open up to you.  Then the deeper questions you have about those things may be answered- hopefully.  ;)

Kol Drake

For some reason, ‘hand/finger positions’ seems to be popping up this week.

Found this for chakra positions…

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q164/net97surferx/IJRS%20images/chakra_hand-1.gif

and *this one* referring to kuji-in.
    (some sites put this info with ‘ninja’ as well as Qi Gong)

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q164/net97surferx/IJRS%20images/KUJIIN.png

more on Kuji-in and what the positions ‘mean’ at this website…

The nine cuts and seals

Also this book…
    Qi-Gong and Kuji-In: A Practical Guide to An Oriental Esoteric Experience
    (Kuji-in Trilogy 1/3) by Francois Lepine

Yoshio

Haven’t yet read through the material, just have had a quick look on the pictures and had to smile. At the last link You posted, the first picture shows Takamatsu O-Sensei the teacher of my Soke. Interesting at which places you can find this Ninja! ;)

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here