• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Jax
    Keymaster

I’ve had minimal exposure to different hand positions besides the one shown to me in chan meditation class.  I spoke to one person who had researched it, but beyond that I haven’t seen much about it.  I’m not sensitive enough with energy yet to see the difference between most of them (if there is any.)  However, I noticed that I feel more open when I make my hands into a loose sphere/pyramid type shape.  This leads me to believe there’s more to hand positions.    Has anyone practiced different hand meditations and seen an affect on them in some way? 

Jedi_Phoenix

I don’t know much either but there are two common ones that I do:

1) is the open hands, where palms face up, and I put my right hand in my left hand and the thumbs touch.  Is that the chan meditation one? If I recall correctly that was about connection between yourself and your higher self.  But I don’t remember

2)The other one is where I put my palms face up, rest them on my knees.  Or a variation of this is bringing the forefinger to touch the thumb of the same hand. 

It depends on my sleepiness state.  I usually do the second one when I’m really tired because when I drift off I feel the pressure increase between my forfinger and thumb and that brings me back to being awake.

I’m interested to see what others say though, as I never really gave it much thought

Brandel Valico
    Participant

I’ve used the Kuji~In hand positions along with Kuji~Kiri and certain breathing methods. In certain practices through out the years.

Without getting to specific.

The basic concept is to select the hand position that represents the focus you wish to apply. Then while channelling that energy  visualise a Kanji that represents what you wish to seal or protect against or build on and cause to grow. Then you perform 9 cuts over this Kanji with each line taking a specified amount of breaths. Placing building sigils (Kanji)  upon certain cross points to create the effects. You can look the basic hand positions and names of the Kuji~in positions up on various websites. Though this practice of combining of them is more a method of channelling energy towards certain tasks or points. More so then a simple method of meditation. It can be used for that purpose also. But instead the sigil or energy is focused inward instead of outward.

Yoshio

Me too, I don’t know much of this topic. I just can say, that in or Dojo, when we do meditate or short concentration at the beginning and the end we use the hand position described by Master Phoenix under No. 1.
    The other one I know and using is the one you showed/taught in the Meditation 101 “Chan Meditation”.

The Kujiin and the Kujikiri are included in the martial art I’m studying but so far I haven’t learned them or met someone who would be a acknowledged reference for them.
    As far as I know or ‘m able to translate the words with my pure Japanese language knowledge the words mean:
    – ku = nine
    – ji = syllable
    – in …
    – kiri = cut
    But be carefull with them and whom you follow to learn them from, as a lot of rubbish is told and done with them.

Jax
    Keymaster

The rubbish is my concern, which is why I didn’t spend much time with the person I knew who had exposure to it.  I’ll have to look that up, just for curiosity.  Beyond that, has anyone used anything else?  I just remembered another example.  In the standard picture of full lotus position practitioners make an ‘ok’ sign with their hands (thumb and first finger touch, others relax out).  I read somewhere that you can have this face up for one focus, and face down for another (internal vs external?) At a basic level it produces a different feel, open vs closed.  Is there more to it?

Anonymous

My experience with meditation hand positions is with Tibetan Mudas. These are safe and beneficial so if you feel you wish to experiment, here is a good link:

http://www.thebigview.com/buddhism/mudra.html

Brandel Valico
    Participant

There is indeed a huge amount of Rubbish surrounding the Kuji methods. Pretty much ignore roughly 95% of what you find on-line concerning them. The hand postions and the names for the most part (Confirm with an actual practioner or using multiple sites to verify against each other.) are within the 5% you can trust. Also avoid the information you find on the Ninja websites. For the most part it’s rubbish.

Best info I can give is from the Mikkyo tradition I studied involving the use of shingon / jumon (mantras), nenriki (visualisation of symbols, mandalas, etc) and in-zou / ketsu-in (mudras – mystical ‘finger-weavings’ – special ritual gestures formed by knotting the fingers in various complex patterns)

The stuff between the ~~ Lines is the offical party line give or take. With a few comments from me tossed in. (I relized that it gave the impression I wrote it. I wanted to fix that impression) My comment is in *.*
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The triple-discipline of shingon, nenriki and in-zou is generally referred to as: sammitsu [or: san-himitsu] meaning: “The Three Secrets” or “The Three Mysteries”, and it is through the study and practice of this discipline that adherents of ‘mainstream’ Japanese Mikkyo Buddhism seek to awaken direct experience of Enlightenment. *The mainstream system is in a great many ways very different from the version I was introduced to through the art I study which is a specific family varation of the system. Think like main stream Christianity versus the Amish version of it. Both valid both Christian both very unique in their own ways.*

Anyway, in the hands of more ‘avant-garde’, shamanic-like, ascetic practitioners of Mikkyo – various groups such as the Senin, Gyoja, and Shugenja / Yamabushi mountain ascetics – sammitsu evolved into a synergistic discipline of wideranging and profound practical and mystical application.
    The discipline became not just a path to enlightenment, but also a means of developing, focussing and empowering ‘special’ abilities – from enhanced physical co-ordination, to control of pain, to powers of exorcism and healing, to increased intuitive and psychic sensitivity, to the induction of shamanic-like visionary states
    Possibly the most famous outgrowth of sammitsu is the kuji-in [or:kuji-no-in], also referred to as kuji goshin ho: “spiritual protection by the nine syllables of power”
    The kuji-in is a method of focusing the mind, the will & the subtle energies to specific intent, and a means of temporarily ‘powering-up’ the practitioner’s ‘psychic’ senses.

In its complete form, the kuji-in involves the fukushu (recitation or repitition) of the sacred nine-word shingon: “Rin-Pyo-To-Sha-Kai-Jin-Retsu-Zai-Zen” combined with the performance of nine accompanying in-zou, and relevant nenriki visualisation; however, each of the nine component ‘segments’ of kuji-in has its own specific attributes and function and acts as a triggering mechanism for a very specific given intention.
    When practiced with the proper breathing patterns and in the proper meditative state, the kuji-in is considered a very potent technique & has traditionally been used by mystics, warriors, priests, healers and shamanic practitioners alike; in fact it is at the very core of Japanese Mystical, Magical, and Shamanic practice.
    While there are said to be in total 81 different ways of intertwining the fingers,the use is generally limited to the core sequence of nine signs mentioned above, formed in smooth-flowing succession – the number nine being considered a highly potent number in Japanese mystical thought.

Inextricably linked with the kuji-in is the technique of kuji-kiri fingers to focus, the kuji-kiri method and the two techniques are frequently confused by the less well-informed. Where as the kuji-in employs the fingers to focus, the kuji-kiri method employs a grid of nine lines: five horizontal and four vertical – each representing one of the 9 finger signs and their attributes.For the kuji-kiri to be effective the lines must be drawn in the correct order, with the proper focus of seiki, for the ‘intent’ to work, and to complete or seal the specific intent of the energy focus a practice known as the ‘placing of the tenth character’ is used. This involves drawing one of a series of special symbols or characters onto the centre of the now empowered grid.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mind you I would still suggest that anyone really interested in knowing about them be very very careful about who you talk to and learn from. I’d suggest trying to locate a Buddhist temple that has a practioner of Shingon Buddhism ,Tendai or even Nichiren Buddhism. and study under them. They would be the best source for direct information. Barrying a direct method if your going to use the internet focus on the sites concerning the above forms of Buddhism.

Jax
    Keymaster

Thank you Brandel, not only for the information but confirming my suspicion that a lot of the information out there is garbage.  I’ll have to look into the options in Houston to see if there’s anyone with the potential knowledge. 

Brandel Valico
    Participant

Yoshio had allready given a legit warning towards that effect. Which is what prompted me to give more information. The thanks should goto him. I probably would have just left it as is without his post making me realize my own was in need of expansion and to advise caution also. Sadly due to the 80’s and the popularity of Ninja movies and the usage of it in then the once few sites that existed and had valid information are lost amid a mass of garbage sites.

Jax
    Keymaster

True.  The added details were beneficial though.  So thank you to both of you.  And Tercenya, I’ll check out the Mudra website later as well. 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here