• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    inari
    Participant

Today, I’ve been cutting down trees. Not very big trees, but big enough. I’m not very happy about cutting down trees, they are both beautiful and necessary, but after evaluating the circumstances they had to go. These two particular small trees shaded my clothes line, so I had to use the clothes dryer to get clothes dry (+ CO2 emissions from the extra electricity). Plus, they were in the sunniest and best-drained area of the garden, an area that will be replanted with food producing plants. I decided that in this case, the longer term benefits outweighed that of leaving them were they were.

While I was working, however, I saw one of my neighbours dragging branches he’d trimmed from his property and dumping them in an empty lot that lies behind both of our properties. It got me thinking about the difference in attitudes between us (and by extension, my values as a Jedi as opposed to this persons). I have been carefully lopping those branches that were big enough into pieces of a size to go into my fireplace, they will be reused at a later time to provide warmth to my family. The smaller branches and leaves are destined for the mulcher, which I’ve got booked for later on in the week. The mulched material will be used to enrich the soil in the future garden beds and to prevent weeds. From the size of the pile behind me, it is evident that the notion of reusing organic material hasn’t really caught on in my immediate neighbourhood.

As a Jedi, and as a concerned and informed citizen, I believe it is more respectful to the life and sacrifice of the trees to use them to nurture a new generation, and better for the community as a whole than dumping them. This is an example where a Jedi mindset can be applied to a real life scenario.

Another instance was a couple of days ago, I was going for a walk when I saw three boys, aged about 13/14 jump the board fence into the local power substation. I paused, making it very obvious that I was watching them and pulled out my mobile (cell) phone. I gave them a minute or two, and as they were ignoring me I called out to them quietly ‘Hi boys, are  you going to come out of there, or shall I call the police?’ I then told them about a couple of young guys that got fried in a substation back in Adelaide about 5 months ago. I then stayed there until they’d left, to ensure they’d gone. I have no illusions that they won’t go back there, but this is the sort of instance where many people would ignore their actions, and another example of how a Jedi can protect people, this time against their own folly.

Unfortunately I can’t set up camp outside the substation.

How have you expressed your Jedi nature lately? BTW not looking for kudos, I’m looking to share real-life examples and welcome you to do so too.

Inari

Jax
    Keymaster

About a week ago, I was going to our local grocery store.  It was getting kinda late, and was uncharacteristically cold so the employees were all hiding in the store, as employees tend to do when they don’t want to go out in the (relative) cold.  A woman asked me if I worked there, and I said no.  But, I noticed she had a cart with a giant bag of dog food, so I asked if she needed help.  She said she needed someone to lift the bag into the car, and an employee was supposed to have helped her, but I didn’t see anyone around.  So I walked over and moved it for her.  It was heavy, 50 lbs I believe, and it wasn’t easy for me to lift, but I did it safely enough not to hurt myself in the process.  We chatted during this process and I learned a little about her life.  It was a very short moment, but it made a huge difference for her, who wasn’t supposed to lift anything, especially not something that heavy.  If I hadn’t helped, it could have been some time before someone else helped, so I’m glad my instinct was to ask if she needed help. 

It’s often the simple things that make a big difference in someone’s day.

Magdelene Nashira
    Participant

Inari – something that occurred to me while reading your post is that your neighbor throwing all that stuff in the back ally is also creating a fire hazard.  By the summer when all that dries out and if it were to catch fire that is the perfect kindling for a fire to spread.  Those kids go back there smoking and poof!  Is there anyone you can report them to or notify of it?

inari
    Participant

Fire hazard isn’t such a big problem in Dunedin, it’s cold and wet and doesn’t have much in the way of fire conditions. I might yet drag those branches back to my place and mulch them for my place. I’m not sure about reporting, it might not be worth the bad relations it could spawn.

Jax
    Keymaster

Perhaps you could talk to him and offer to take the branches off his hands each time he does trimming, and explain what you do with them.  Perhaps the thought just never occurred to him, and he could at least reuse some for winter fuel and such.  There’s no need for it to be a confrontation after all.

Benjamin
    Participant

Just thought I would let you all know, “This thread is what prompted me to join”.  :yoda Your example should be followed by all. Living @ one with the world around us and creating positive influence this is the greatest gift. 

Jax
    Keymaster

Interesting. Have any stories to share? :-)

Benjamin
    Participant
    Quote:
    Interesting. Have any stories to share? :-)

I suppose my greatest influence is in my daily work. I work in the fitness industry so as you can expect I interact with many different people on many different levels everyday.  I often find that I am in a position to positively influence my client’s lives wether directly or just by example. Many people come to the gym seeking to change their lives for the better. I am blessed to be a part of such positive change. On a personal level I recently built two planter boxes in order to plant a vegetable patch. Can’t say I have the greenest of thumbs, how ever it feels great to work with soil & poo  ;D Now all I need is rain. Not much around @ the moment. :meditate I hope that the interaction with this forum encourages me to be more aware each day of things I can do that are selfless & to the benefit of others.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here