• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    TB-1
    Participant

Greetings to all,

As we all know Lightsabers cannot truly exist.  :( However, I found a really cool website that helps in the construction of some outstanding hilts.  :D

Here is the link: http://bigyellowbox.tripod.com/

I personally plan on constructing one soon, Style VIII. It is amazing to me.

So, if I may, which saber style would you choose?

Jax
    Keymaster

To me the hilt needs to be functional and comfortable. I just don’t see those being comfortable. But it’s hard to know at this point. ;-)

Kol Drake

This place does the ‘standard movie hilts’ but also makes custom ‘organic’ hilts that I think are pretty darn cool.  They also make lightsabers with ‘neat to look at’ internals too.  Plus glowy crystals!  Be prepared to pay for the hyper fancy models.  But, they also sell parts so… go crazy.

http://www.advanced-light.com/index.asp?id=2

002-01gr-0201.jpg
    sabretypes.jpg

TB-1
    Participant

Those are absolutely glorious!!!  😮 I am greaty impressed! Amazing find, Kol Drake-sama.

Jax
    Keymaster

I just hope when we do invent lightsaber technology we can fit it into a hilt. lol

TB-1
    Participant

Unfortunately I do not believe that can be accomplished in our lifetime. Light is an object that will stay in motion unless acted on by another force. The only thing that could be powerful enough to stop a high frequency beam of light, holding it in place is a powerful gravity generated in the hilt itself. I will not call it impossible, but it is improbable that a gravity well, in a lightsaber hilt, could be generated to only allow the beam of light to go so far, without imploding upon itself. Then again, we do not have the right kind of crystals either. I do think that since the universe is so… universal… that we might be able to find that kind of technology somewhere out there. At least I hope so. ^_^

Jax
    Keymaster

You never know. ;-) There are people who claim to have done it.  I highly doubt it for many reasons.  In my experience, the only people who have made those claims are people who are delusional and lifelong liars.  I could be wrong, but I’d be the most shocked of my entire life I think. lol

Kol Drake

Rather then a ‘beam of light’, I suspect someone will try it using magnetic containment fields and plasma.  The fields keeping the plasma ‘contained’ but can pass through most objects (non magnetic at least) so that the plasma can then ignite or ‘burn’ the material.  Magnetic fields might get a bit hinkey when hitting other metals or other containment fields.  But, i’d go with plasma.

Until that time, I guess I’m stuck with ThinkGeek’s latest… the Lightsaber Ice Pop!

http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/looflirpa/e8b8/

e8b8_lightsaber_ice_pops_glow.jpg

TB-1
    Participant

Epic win, ThinkGeek, epic win! Awesomeness ensues on so many levels. I had a feeling that plasma might work. Shoot, even a plasma torch would work for slicing and dicing and cutting through metal. I was reading 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, in recent days and found that the sub itself is powered by mercury and sodium. Mercury, as explained in the book, is not used up as much as the sodium is. Switching back to lightsabers, it might be the crystal, when combined with some other chemical or element, would result in a beam of sorts.  :ponder Perhaps the crystal could be a power source, it just means we would have to know what reacts to said crystal. But then again this is all theory and imagination, but I would be filled with joy at seeing it come to truth.

TB-1
    Participant

So I was “Google-ing” and found an image of the supposed inner workings of the lightsaber. I did see a magnetic stabilizing ring at the emitter. According to Wikipedia, the Diatium power cells emits trumponium gas which forms plasma rod when heated. The magnetic ring then holds said plasma rod in place, while recycling the energy used, keeping the lightsaber charged, indefinitely. I have to wonder then, if we could compress a type of gas, highly concentrated into a power cell, then have it expelled through the emitter, and controlled by the magnetic ring, would a lightsaber become more reality.  :ponder It would be amazing. Until said time, yes Ice pops!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here