• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Setanaoko
    Participant

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2642956/Tesco-supermarket-bans-Jedi-Knight-for-wearing-hood.html?OTC-RSS&ATTR=News

Store Wars as Tesco Bans Jedi Knight
    By BEN ASHFORD

TESCO has been accused of religious discrimination – after banning a JEDI KNIGHT for wearing a hood.

Members of the Star Wars faith – a religion practised around the world – choose to cover their heads in public.

But the leader of the UK’s first Jedi Church was branded a security risk and ejected by three staff after refusing to remove his hoodie at a Tesco in Bangor, North Wales.

Daniel Jones, 23 – also known by his Jedi name Morda Hehol – said: “I told them it was a requirement of my religion but they just sniggered and ordered me to leave.

“I walked past a Muslim lady in a veil. Surely the same rules should apply to everyone.” The handbook of the UK Jedi Church, founded by film nut Daniel last year, states: “Jedis must wear a hood up in any public place of a large audience.”

Daniel added: “I’ll advise worshippers to boycott Tesco if it happens again. They will feel the Force.”

A Tesco spokesman said: “We would ask Jedis to remove hoods. Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda and Luke Skywalker all went hoodless without going to the Dark Side.”

b.ashford@the-sun.co.uk

inari
    Participant

Well that’s a good way to get taken seriously, isn’t it? ‘Must have a hood up’ *sigh*. He could have at least been wearing a cloak or robe.

I don’t blame Tescos for their actions, though it was probably to help prevent shoplifting more than terrorists when they say ‘security threat’.

Jax
    Keymaster

That’s a very non-Jedi way to be.  Jedi don’t force the issue like that, and there’s no reason to cover the head, it’s just a way to blend in or protect oneself from the elements.  They don’t really have a good grasp of what it means to be a Jedi.  Sounds like the Tescos management actually has more of a grasp than they do! lol

Jedi_Phoenix

This….makes me sick! How are we supposed to promote an ideal such as Jedi Realists, when people go around doing stupid stuff like this? And I know I shouldn’t judge…but come on, this is…really?

*shakes head* I’m embarrased

Phoenix

Mindas Arran
    Participant

Anyone been able to find a copy of this handbook?

Setanaoko
    Participant

Mindas, I imagine they are still working on getting it on their newest site:

http://www.jedi-church.co.uk/

So far, I’m not impressed by them.  Daniel Jones (founder) wrote me regarding their beliefs.  As he sees it-us Jedi Realists and Jediism are separate.  />.>” title=”>.>” class=”bbcode_smiley” /> TOTJO, TOTJF and Jedi Sanctuary were all around before these guys.  And their Jediism doesn’t really match up with the other version.</p>
<p>I’ve invited them to Force Academy to learn more about the community.  But I don’t know if it will amount to anything.  I’d like to see more people invite them in, perhaps it would be beneficial to all of us.</p>

</div><!-- .bbp-reply-content -->
</div><!-- .reply -->

<div id=

inari
    Participant

Do we need to explicitly invite them? Why do you feel that they need to be invited?

Setanaoko
    Participant

Why?

Because I’d rather see them get to know the community they are representing-regardless of whether or not they want to admit it.  Let’s be honest, do you want someone to find out that you are a Jedi-and instead of asking you what that is all about or even laugh at you, you get pinned as being one of the individuals in a church that most of the community sees as a joke?

I’d rather get laughed at.  It provides more opportunity for conversation (at least, in my experience it does).

Jax
    Keymaster

Yet they seem quite content in their insular world.  They  know other places exist but have little to no interest in learning about it.  You can’t make someone listen to another perspective, they have to come of their own free will.  Plus, extending an offer that seems to be just for them further validates their movement because they’re ‘special’.  I’m not sure it’s the right way to approach things unless…

Have we ever thought of doing a virtual jedi gathering?  Find the best chat program we can afford that fits a lot of people, invite people of as many sites as we can find to get to know each other informally.  So it’s kinda like peace talks with a goal of finding our commonalities and ground rules setup that discussion and debate is fine but when it turns to arguing due to lack of listening it gets shut down and we move on to a new topic.  It could even be coordinated with a chapter meeting/church meeting of some groups.  Then it’s more of a neutral way to see just what is going on and if there’s anything that can be done about it.  Maybe i’m making this too simple in my tired mind, but it was a thought that just came up and inspired me a little. :-)

Setanaoko
    Participant

Actually funny you would mention something like that….. (you’ll see what I mean here in a minute ;) )

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here