• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ying
    Participant

Hi everyone :)

I have been compiling a list of key quotes and practices as we read through The Power of Now, and thought I should post it up now. You can use it to study if you want, and I will be adding to the list as we go. Also feel free to add any quotes to this thread that you find get through to you! :)

How do you feel about discussing one quote for each chapter in chat and adding it to the list as a “favourite”?

Peace out!

Ying
    Participant

Key Quotes and Practices from ‘The Power of Now’

Key Quote for Chapter 1 of the Power of Now

“It is a state of connectedness with something immeasurable and indestructible, something that, almost paradoxically, is essentially you, and yet much greater than you. It is finding your true nature beyond name and form. The inability to feel this connectedness gives rise to the illusion of separation, from yourself and from the world around you. You then perceive yourself, consciously or unconsciously, as an isolated fragment. Fear arises, and conflict within and without becomes the norm”.

Chapter 2, Key Quote – Consciousness, the way out of pain.

“The pain that you create now is always some form of non-acceptance, some form of unconscious resistance to what is. On the level of thought, the resistance is some form of judgment. On the emotional level, it is some form of negativity. The intensity of the pain depends on the degree of resistance to the present moment, and this in turn depends on how strongly you are identified with your mind. The mind always seeks to deny the Now and to escape from it. In other words, the more you are identified with your mind, the more you suffer. Or you may put it like this: the more you are able to honour and accept the Now, the more you are free of pain, of suffering – and free of the egoic mind.”

Chapter 3, Key quotes from The Power of Now

“The old patterns of thought, emotion, behaviour, reaction, and desire are acted out in endless repeat performances, a script in your mind that gives you an identity of sorts but distorts or covers up the reality of the Now. The mind then creates an obsession with the future as an escape from the unsatisfactory present.”

“You are right. You can never reach that point because you are at that point now. There is no salvation in time. You cannot be free in the future. Presence is the key to freedom, so you can only be free now.”

“All negativity is caused by an accumulation of psychological time and denial of the present. Unease, anxiety, tension, stress, worry – all forms of fear – are caused by too much future, and not enough presence. Guilt, regret, resentment, grievances, sadness, bitterness, and all forms of non-forgiveness are caused by too much past, and not enough presence.”

Key Practices
    Chapter 1
    Start listening to the voice in your head as often as you can. Pay particular attention to any repetitive thought patterns, those old gramophone records that have been playing in your head perhaps for many years. This is what I mean by “watching the thinker,” which is another way of saying: listen to the voice in your head, be there as the witnessing presence.
    When you listen to that voice, listen to it impartially. That is to say, do not judge. Do not judge or condemn what you hear, for doing so would mean that the same voice has come in again through the back door. You’ll soon realize: there is the voice, and here I am listening to it, watching it. This I am realization, this sense of your own presence, is not a thought. It arises from beyond the mind.

Chapter 2
    Watch out for any sign of unhappiness in yourself, in whatever form – it may be the awakening pain-body. This can take the form of irritation, impatience, a somber mood, a desire to hurt, anger, rage, depression, a need to have some drama in your relationship, and so on. Catch it the moment it awakens from its dormant state.

Chapter 3
    “Use your senses fully. Be where you are. Look around. Just look, don’t interpret. See the light, shapes, colors, textures. Be aware of the silent presence of each thing. Be aware of the space that allows everything to be. Listen to the sounds; don’t judge them. Listen to the silence underneath the sounds. Touch something – anything – and feel and acknowledge its Being. Observe the rhythm of your breathing; feel the air flowing in and out, feel the life energy inside your body. Allow everything to be, within and without. Allow the “isness” of all things. Move deeply into the Now.”

Jax
    Keymaster

If you don’t mind, I read a short teaching today from a different source that supports these teachings. From http://suzannegiesemannblog2.blogspot.com/2012/05/present.html
    The Present

The part of you that is spirit only knows one tense: the present tense. The part of you that is ego knows two others: past and future. This constant drifting in and out of past tense and future tense keeps the body tense, and ego enjoys this game. Tension maintains separation and maintains ego’s perceived power over spirit. Peace allows you to know oneness. Peace is found in the present.

Remaining present takes awareness of the thoughts. Thoughts bounce from past to present to future to past to future to present and so on like a ping pong ball out of control. Back and forth you go, from worry to pain with moments of equanimity in between, but just enough uncertainty for ego to run rampant.

“Be here now” – excellent advice for finding peace. Grab the ping pong ball and plant it firmly in your lap for a few moments each hour. Breathe deeply and simply sit with your focus on your breath or on a peaceful phrase. “What good does that do?” you ask. Quite a bit, you will find, if you try it. For just a few moments you are present. No worry. No fear of the future. No pain from painful memories of the past. You are simply watching the breath like soft clouds that float past, and in that moment you are free of ego’s grip—a free spirit—and that is the present all can enjoy.

Ying
    Participant

I love it Jax! I might create a thread called ‘related teachings and works’ and get someone to move it there though. That is is you don’t mind :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here