• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Eric_Dranginis
    Participant

Hello fellow Jedi’s and Padawans,

I am wondering if there is anybody that has practiced Kendo? I am contemplating attending a class to see if it is something that suits me. I am seeking out a martial art to immerse myself into. I have much interest in Kendo, particularly because it seems to focus on one’s body and mind. I’m curious if the actual practice focus more on sport than the spiritual side. If there are any other martial arts that you may think I should look into let me know, I am very open minded to all. Any tips would be great! Many thanks!

:lightsaber

Jax
    Keymaster

Are you looking for a harder style or a softer/fluid style? Application or art?

Eric_Dranginis
    Participant

@Jax I’m looking for a softer style. I’d prefer more of a discipline for the mind and body, with the combat aspect as an added bonus. I have done a bit more research, thanks to some links within the institutes forums, and I have come across Aikido. This could be what I am looking for, but open to any knowledge you may be able to share about the topic!

Jax
    Keymaster

I would recommend aikido and had great experiences with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kol Drake

Tai chi can be a ‘soft style’ which, once mastered and sped up to match one’s opponent, can ‘do’ as much as a hard style.

It is odd though — the arbitrary splitting of ‘styles’ could almost identify a Jedi vs a Sith

Internal…..vs.….. External
    = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
    Blending with an attack ………… Stopping an attack
    Yielding ………… Struggling
    Power comes from within ………… Power comes from outside
    Relaxed ………… Tense
    Fluid ………… Defined
    Slow forms ………… Fast kata
    Finesse …………. Power
    Indirect ………… Direct
    Circular ………… Linear
    Acknowledging the limitations of the self ………… Denying any vulnerabilities
    Winning without fighting is best ………… Destroying your opponent

Aikido is always a good one… though you will get tossed around a bit since ‘learning to fall’ (properly) is essential. This is a smooth flowing style of martial arts that does not teach offensive moves. It is primarily a defensive art that teaches students to take control of an attacker. Developed in the 1920’s. Movements are executed in circles

An even ‘softer form’ of Aikido is Kokikai Aikido… again, you might find it hard to find an instructor though.

An instructor might be tough to find but there is HSING-I: (Chinese-Guiding Force-Soft art). An incredibly ancient Chinese art that is based on the five elements (earth, fire, water, metal and wood. Also animals are emulated. Movements are executed in strait lines.

And, of course, T’AI-CHI CH’UAN: (Chinese-Force on Force-soft art). This is almost like a ballet that can be practiced alone. The exercises which are usually practiced alone are designed for health and longevity. This is a very passive martial art. ** Again, it seems pretty ‘meh’ when slow but speed it up and it’s very effective. Long time learners/practitioners also add in ‘slow then fast’ weapons such as swords or staffs.

Yoshio

A bit late to this one but I hope my input can still be of help.

As usual Kol Drake’s feedback already gives a good overview of what there is.

As from my own experiences with martial arts, the best advice is, check out the Dojos, the teachers available in your area. Participate at a trial lesson, a get to know lesson, but please keep in mind that the “trial” is from both sides as master and student need to fit together.
    Participating in a trial lesson is actually the best and maybe even only way to see and find out for yourself what does and what doesn’t fit You.

Right now the following might not be that important to You but please be also aware of that martial arts are generally “grouped” in Chinese and Japanese arts – there are many more from various countries out there but most of the martial arts easily available will come from one of those two countries.
    The philosophy in the martial arts are highly influenced from the society of the country they come from which also has a huge influence on how they get taught, normally. I found that in Chinese martial arts many things quickly and “easily” get explained whereas in the Japanese martial arts a teacher will first let a student train and only corrects the biggest mistakes and will see if one has the hardiness and endurance which is necessary for a teacher to have the feeling that it is really worth to teach this student.

Finally as for styles, in Tai Chi Chuan – whereas the “Chuan” is what stands for the practical application of what is taught in the form – is generally split up in several styles from different families and the maybe most popular Peking form which, in my opinion, has hardly anything to do with an martial art.
    Hsing-I and also Baguazhang are two other Chinese “inner” martial arts and it is not uncommon that one find a teacher who actually teaches both of them due to a story from the past.
    Finally there is also Wing Chung and although it is not really a inner martial art it is a very soft style of Kung-Fu. But, although not knowing about the situation of it at your place, please be aware that at least in Germany and Austria Wing Chung is like a kind of religious sect.

On the other hand you have the Japanese martial arts of which I know only the already named Aikido which could be seen as a soft style but not to be mistaken as a inner style! Aikido, depending on the teacher, can have the benefit that one even learns basic usage of the Katana, the Japanese sword, the Jo, a stuff of about 125 cm length, and the Tanto, the Japanese knife.

So, last but not least I would like to repeat myself and give You the advice to check everything which is available at your place, sounds interesting and feels good – for the lack of a better word. Attend a trial lesson, a get to know lesson and then make your decision.

Eric_Dranginis
    Participant

@Kol Drake @Jax @Yoshio Thank you all very much for sharing your knowledge. I have continued my investigation of what I can find locally. Even the process of investigating the world of martial arts has been quite the journey! I will keep you informed as things progress! Again I can not express my gratitude enough for all of your shared insight! :yoda

Jax
    Keymaster

Definitely let us know how it goes. :-)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here