• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    inari
    Participant

I practice Yoga for three reasons. Firstly, its part of my Shiatsu course requirements, it helps keep the Shiatsu practitioner flexible, and also keeps me strong…5 or 10 minutes of down dog posture a day keeps my arms almost as strong as going to the gym, without losing shoulder joint flexibility.

The second reason is that I have chronic lower back pain, and I find that yoga is pretty much the only thing that alleviates it. Yoga is good as a gentle stretching method. though it pays to have lessons so you know how to do it properly.

Finally, learning the breathing aspects of Yoga (pranayama) is also very beneficial in my experience. I start my meditation sessions with ‘Ji’ breath. I find ji breath fun. You sort of tighten your vocal cords like you are going to go ‘ahhhhh’, then breath in and out through your nose. It makes for a noisy sort of breath, where you can feel the turbulence of the air in your pharynx and going into your lungs, but it doesn’t really seem like it goes through your nostrils at all. It is a very relaxing breath and it great for ‘breathing into’ tight spots, plus it takes just a little concentration and hence helps the mind release other thoughts.

There are other practices associated with Yoga that I have not learned yet, and am not sure if I want to. Yoga can be a practice towards enlightenment (though thats not the correct term in Yoga) but I am not sure I want to take it that far, as it incorporates aspects of the Ayurvedic healing system and as an Oriental practitioner I think I prefer to stick with the chinese and japanese systems, at least at present.

Inari

Kai-An
    Participant

Yoga really is great. I used to have really weak wrists- after two months of yoga, no more. I’m so much more open and it is a great way to get rid of figety energy before you meditate. Actually, that’s why physical yoga was created- to prepare the body for meditation.

The breathing style you mentioned is a style I love. It’s so useful that I integrated it into the Meditation 101 class… Another breathing style I like though is hot breathing or lion breathing (can’t remember the sanskrit name) but you breath in through your nose and out through your mouth audibly, with your tounge out if you want. It seems pretty silly but it works really well.

Much love,
    Kai-An

inari
    Participant

Yes I know that breath too, I’m still trying to be able to keep it up for more than 20 or 30 seconds at a time though. It is hard on the abdominals + takes a lot of coordination. I have a Kundalini yoga video that calls it ‘Breath of Fire’, I cannot recall what my teacher calls it as she doesn’t do it often. I have to admire the person in the video who can keep it for for minutes at a time…I’d probably pass out!

blacksh33p
    Participant

yoga is great!  now if i’d just get in a habit of doing it on a regular basis…

Kai-An
    Participant

Hah, ditto!

robinhoods123
    Participant

Turning love into a practice yoga is something I hadn’t heard before but a great pearl of wisdom. In Buddhism, we are encouraged to retain the same mindfulness and awareness during post-meditation as we do in meditation practice. It makes sense that the same be applied to love.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here