• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Jax
    Keymaster

Assuming the philosophy is right to begin with.  Where did this fiction come from?  Where did the author get their ideas from?  I guess I’d rather go to the source when possible ;-)

Jedi_Phoenix

lol…well sometimes people make stupid mistakes and are blocked from said sources ::)

Jax
    Keymaster

lol, naw. I wouldn’t call it a stupid mistake.  Just giving a little nudge to keep things in perspective.  have fun :-)

Jomela
    Participant

We are here on this site because we want to be Jedi. If that fictitious galaxy far, far, away had never been written about, would we still have been drawn together for this purpose?

The Jedi are a fiction. The Sith are a fiction. Star Wars is grand fiction. We choose to emulate the qualities ascribed to the Jedi because we feel they are worth having and we feel that there are analogies to those qualities here on Earth in 2008–in realtime. Because this book is a compilation of Lucasfilm sanctioned information, I think that makes it as much of a bible as we’re going to get–unless someone has a Jedi Holocron and has been holding out on the rest of us.

Jax
    Keymaster

I don’t think anything should be taken as a bible without looking at who wrote the information contained within.  You cannot separate the fact that people who do not walk the Jedi path created this cannon.  How much thought have they actually put into it?  At the rate these books come out, it’s perhaps a year, maybe 2, maybe far less.  How many of us having been walking this path actively for longer and still have gaps in our understanding?  I doubt anyone would take my writings as a Jedi bible, nor the writings of anyone else in the community.  So why take a fiction writer’s creative imaginings as such?

Jedi_Phoenix

We shouldn’t.  Well not in the entirety at least.

At the most, maybe we should start creating our own “holocron.”  Though I’m not sure there is much we could possibly put into it, as we haven’t, as far as I know, reached that sort of level. 

In any case, fiction is fiction and non fiction is non fiction.  Jax is right, we shouldn’t take anything as bible until we have reviewed the source.  Besides, there are things out there which will help us find the Force and grow better as Jedi then this simple book.  I’m not saying those other sources are bibles, but just that we should always keep an open mind when we start picking apart information, especially from fiction (which is what I was trying to say earlier.)

Aslyn
    Participant
    Quote:
    At the most, maybe we should start creating our own “holocron.”  Though I’m not sure there is much we could possibly put into it, as we haven’t, as far as I know, reached that sort of level.

I’m happy to say that you’re wrong about that. Very, very wrong.

Anonymous

You know – some Jedi use their hands to make a light saber hilt.  It’s part of the Jedi Mythos to use your own hands to create what will support you.

For me – I might hand-make my own illuminated Jedi book.  From the leather, to the drawn/painted pages.  Using the Jedi works of print that mean much to me and support me.

It will be just for me…and as valuable in the real world as any light saber hilt.

– and sooth my Quaker upbringing lack of interest in a light saber hilt.

– Asta

Jax
    Keymaster

That sounds like a great project Asta.  The thing about understand is that it’s personal and ever expanding.  The concept of a ‘bible’ implies the final word on something.  How can our understanding of life and the Force ever be final?  To think that what we know and understand after 5 years of training will compare to what we understand after 20 years…well, as someone who has lived more years than quite a few people on this site, I’m sure you know how foolish that would be.  :-)

However, I think it’s a good idea to start trying to formulate your own thoughts and understandings and putting them in written form.  It’s a good exercise, increasing your understanding even more.  And then, after 10 years you go back and read and can remember just how your progression worked.  Because we all progress in steps.  We can’t take too big of steps, as our brains won’t allow it.  But, I think what often happens is we learn a lot, and then forget how we got to where we are.  And we try to ‘help’ those coming up behind us by skipping steps.  But when we skip those steps, the steps become too large and the person is hindered even more.  This is why I like people to keep training journals of some type.  It keeps things in perspective, especially when dealing with other people newer to the path. 

Asta, perhaps you could work on multiple books, at different intervals.  Perhaps Illuminated, year 1.  Then, year 3, year 5, whatever interval feels right to you.  Perhaps it would be year 4.6.  :-)  That would make it quite the project, but one of immense value for you and others if you decided to allow people to take a peek at your path.  Not to mention you would increase your skill at making books!  lol

Thank you for sharing this idea.  I think that many of us have lost this concept of making things by hand and forget the value it has.  Your Quaker background is certainly a benefit in many ways. 

Icarus
    Participant
    Quote:
    However, I think it’s a good idea to start trying to formulate your own thoughts and understandings and putting them in written form.  It’s a good exercise, increasing your understanding even more.  And then, after 10 years you go back and read and can remember just how your progression worked.  Because we all progress in steps.  We can’t take too big of steps, as our brains won’t allow it.  But, I think what often happens is we learn a lot, and then forget how we got to where we are.  And we try to ‘help’ those coming up behind us by skipping steps.  But when we skip those steps, the steps become too large and the person is hindered even more. 

It is a good idea. From my own experience, I occasionally look back through my Books of Shadows that I have kept since I was around thirteen-fourteen or so. It’s sad in some ways. In some ways, it’s impressive. More than anything though, it allows me a way to look back on what I was doing, how I was doing it, and see the mistakes that I made along the way, and how I corrected them. As for skipping things, the steps, I mean… That’s in there too. I see how I was working on something for a while, then discovered that there was this huge step up from that level, and I attempted to skip those in betwen levels to get there. Sometimes, it worked, sometimes not. For the times that it did not work, I see how badly I screwed up and the consequences that came from those screw ups. If nothing else, a book/journal acts as a lesson in humility.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here