• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Kol Drake

This came up during a discussion regarding what form(s) of martial arts ‘works best’…
    (Health & Fitness)

I do not believe… just because we do not ‘wish’ to fight that one must be placed in pure-ly defensive mode.  Kol Drake

Why not? Are we not to be helping everyone, and not just those we care for. If you can not perceive a conflict long before the physical act then regardless of what “mode” you’re in, you will lose. The philosophy of the Jedi is cause as little to no damage to everyone as possible, regardless of the situation. If we lose sight of this fact we become nothing more than a bunch of thugs or vigilantes bent on physically subduing our opponents.  Ares1982

Perhaps I am reading / filtering this incorrectly.

The Jedi Code states —

There is no emotion; there is peace.
    There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
    There is no passion; there is serenity.
    There is no death; there is the Force.

During the restructuring of the Jedi Order by Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker a new code was established for easier interpretation for the newer generation of Jedi.   The code retained the same core beliefs as the millennia old code, rewritten for better understanding.

Jedi are the guardians of peace in the galaxy.
    Jedi use their powers to defend and protect, never to attack others.
    Jedi respect all life, in any form.
    Jedi serve others rather than ruling over them, for the good of the galaxy.
    Jedi seek to improve themselves through knowledge and training.

In either statement of ‘belief’ — I do not see where it says ‘to do no (or as little) damage as possible to an attacker if a Jedi is forced ‘to take action’ (physical confrontation — once all other forms of resolving the issue have failed).

What is the established ‘stance’ concerning how non-aggressive or passive the Jedi way ‘must be’?

I can see someone wanting to be ‘as monk-like’ as possible — total meditation; avoidance of all contact with disruptive forces.  But that almost gets into a form of hiding from the day-to-day actualities of Life… living among non-Jedi.   I suppose a ‘true’ pacificist would ‘turn both cheeks’ — and still their butt beat and then forgive and love their attacker…. but I don’t see the Jedi as being THAT passive.

As with the Martial Arts, we are supposed to train our body ‘just in case’ — hoping we can stop the ‘situation’ long before physical force becomes necessary.    Even in the best of situations, there comes a time when force is the last action… is it a no-no for a Jedi to kick a** or should we beam Force-like compassion at the ‘other’ while they rob, beat, destroy others and the Jedi?

I think my mental mousetraps have popped.. I can’t say or see a Jedi like comment to cover all this.   :P

Angelus

I think that what has happened is that the term “pacifist” has been equated with the identity of being a “passive-ist.” However, pacifism is in reality an active rebellion against that status quo.

If we look at the context in which “turn the other cheek” was applied, we find that when one was hit with the back of the hand, it meant that one was inferior (a slave). To turn the other cheek would then mean that the person is asking to be slapped again. However, if the attacker/aggressor used with the same hand then the person would be hit with an open hand. To be slapped in this manner would put one on equal footing (no longer inferior). Therefore, turning the other cheek is demanding that one recognize his or her identity as a human being (not to be treated as a passive doormat).

I agree that a Jedi is not to be passive. One is to be vigilant against forces of oppression. One is to recognize the dignity in all humanity. Sometimes that means that more active measures will be taken.

Memnoich
    Participant
    Quote:
    Jedi are the guardians of peace in the galaxy.
    Jedi use their powers to defend and protect, never to attack others.
    Jedi respect all life, in any form.
    Jedi serve others rather than ruling over them, for the good of the galaxy.
    Jedi seek to improve themselves through knowledge and training.

No where does it say to do nothing, it says to protect and defend. If your are attacked, the response should be equal. The idea being, don’t beat the crap out of someone, just cause they threw something at you. In the general sense the Jedi is believed to have superior skills, and to steal a line from Spiderman, “with great power comes great responsibility”. If you can defend yourself and protect others with out harming someone, that should be your goal. But if it becomes needed to fight back, only do so as much as is needed.
    Was Obi Wan :obiwan right to kill Darth Maul :maul,
    was Mace Windu  :mace right when he decided that Darth Sideous  :palpantine was to dangerous to let live,
    Did Obi Wan  :obisaber fail the Jedi teachings when he left Anikin  :vader to die?

These are questions that can have many answers, the biggest one was MAce, that was very close to a Sith perspective, the ends justify the means, but at the same time, was he right. Just like in the military, you have to make a choice about what is to much. Had Mace just arrested Palpatine, would it have been enough, or would it have just been a stop gap. Had mace killed him, would it have accomplished the same goal, yes, the Sith would have been done, for a time, but the reputation of the Jedi would have been scarred and possibly destroyed. In the end, as a Jedi, the decision of force is up to you.

Brandel Valico
    Participant

Hmm…

Quote:
    One of the first things that a Jedi must learn is the Jedi Code; this philosophy lays the groundwork for the mastery of the use of the Force.
    There is no emotion; there is peace.
    There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
    There is no passion; there is serenity.
    There is no death; there is the Force.

The Jedi must carefully observe these rules of the light side of the Force to maintain harmony with himself and the universe around him.
    The light side is created and sustained by life. The Jedi acts to preserve life. To kill is wrong.
    Sometimes it is necessary to kill. The Jedi may kill in self-defense or in defense of others, especially the weak and the good. The Jedi may kill, if by his action he preserves the existence of life. However, the Jedi must never forget that killing is inherently wrong. The death is a stain upon the Jedi’s spirit.
    The Jedi seeks knowledge and enlightenment, peace and harmony. The Jedi wishes to defeat those who would wipe out such qualities — those who would inflict death, tyranny or ignorance upon others — yet the Jedi should never act out of fear or hatred. A Jedi must act when calm and at peace with the Force. To act with anger filling one’s spirit is to risk temptation to the dark side.
    Jedi should seek nonviolent solutions to problems — but this isn’t always possible. Sometimes, killing or fighting is the only answer available. Sometimes it is even the best answer. But that doesn’t mean the Jedi shouldn’t try to find an alternative.

Jomela
    Participant

And now, a word from our sponsor….

Have you seen the book “Jedi vs Sith: the Essential Guide to the Force?”
    It’s basically everything you always wanted to know about the Jedi but didn’t know which Expanded Universe books you needed to read. As the introduction says: “This book draws information and dialogue from many Star Wars novels, comics, games and reference books as well as the movies and animated cartoons.”
    Since I am not very knowledgeable about the EU, this book is expanding my views of the Jedi and the various canonical and historical incarnations thereof–and I’ve only read the first chapter! I hope to use this book as a reference (and not just carry it around like a teddy bear) and a means of exploring the wider Jedi philosophy (as sanctioned by The Maker).

Anonymous

I saw this recently offered.  I just ordered it through the Amazon link here… ;D

It does look interesting!  Did you read it/what do you think?

– Asta

Brandel Valico
    Participant

It is a good book. That does offer a good general overview of the Jedi and the Sith.

Jedi_Phoenix

Oh! oh! oh!

I read that book to.  I got it for christmas.  It was a very good read and gave me some great ideas on how we can work as a community to build our connection with the Force as well as individually.  There are a lot of things in here that, once read, will clear a lot of common misconceptions.

My favorite part though is the philosophy about the Force.  While in my perception the Force has no sides, we create the sides, this book takes the oppostie view.  Which is interesting because it is following the story line of the legacy of the Force and they are trying to uncover the true sith, but I won’t say much more than that for those who haven’t read them.

Jax
    Keymaster

So long as people are keeping this in perspective – this is still fiction, and as such does not make it necessarily applicable to the reality of the Force.  I haven’t read this book, as I prefer to focus my studies on non-fiction sources, so this is simply a statement based on observation of comments. 

Jedi_Phoenix

I agree.  All i was stating was that its interesting to see how our views contrast to what we, in a sense, came from.

However, there is still some philosophy hidden amongst the fiction, and that is why I find the book interesting, because if you can pull that out, then there is really no harm done, but just an understanding reached…right?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here