• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Jax
    Keymaster

That’s awesome!  Is someone volunteering to keep track of the page, since anyone can edit it?  Just want to make sure untrue information isn’t getting on there. 

Memnoich
    Participant

I’m trying to keep an eye on it. Right now I think what the page really needs is something to define the Jedi Realist Philosophy more then Jediism has:

Quote:
    Philosophy

The Jedi interpret and use the philosophic teachings found in Star Wars and other inspirational sources. Jediism is a blend of Taoism and Buddhism. It also shares basic ideals with many other religions and the Code of Chivalry. In spite of holding different views and having different interpretations of the abundant Star Wars material, the Jedi share a set of core values essential to their path, namely, the Force and the code of conduct similar to the chivalry code, more commonly known as “The Jedi Code”. But there is no set path and no “holy book” in Jediism.
    [edit] The Force

The Force is what most Jedi believe everything comes from, what everything currently exists within, and what everything returns to. It is the energy behind the existence of everything known or unknown to humanity, a “unified field theory”, a theory in philosophy and theoretical physics. The Force does not require prayer, worship, or other such actions as some other religions might.

Most Jedi choose to follow one or more of the three widely accepted spiritual aspects: the Personal Force, the Living Force and the Unifying Force.
    [edit] The Sides of the Force

The Jedi share different views regarding the Force and its nature. While most view the Force as having a Dark Side and a Light Side, some prefer the “Potentium” theory, which states that everything is predetermined and that the Force itself is neither good nor evil.

In Jediism, the most accepted explanation is that the Light and Dark sides of the Force are reflected by the individual’s intent and emotional state within their personal Force.[citation needed] Some have also debated that the Star Wars movies make no mention of any other “sides” but the dark side, and argue that the Force has no sides at all, with the dark side merely being the corruption they bring to their personal Force. The light Jedi believe it is a trait to be compassionate and care about improving and helping the lives of others, while dark Jedi (or Sith) focus exclusively on self improvement and interest. The grey Jedi argue that good and evil are points of view, and that both Jedi and Sith wrongly interfere with the natural flow of the force, calling “sides” of the Force nothing more than superstition or metaphors.[citation needed]

Something that says more then “We just look at several other philosophies and take what we want and put a star wars spin on it” you know, maybe something along the lines of:

Quote:
    ” Much like the Taoist, we emphasize the various themes that can be found in the Daodejing and Zhuangzi, such as naturalness, vitality, peace, “non-action” (wu wei, or ‘effortless effort’), emptiness (refinement), detachment, flexibility, receptiveness, spontaneity, the relativism  of human ways of life, ways of speaking and guiding behavior. Pulling from the teachings of Dan Millman in his books about the Peaceful Warrior, Way of the Peaceful Warrior, We also find that cultivating a Warrior spirit in your life is helpful to achieving balance within as well as without.”

But more then this, delving into the Beliefs of the Jedi Realist Philosophy and making it our own, instead of just referencing other philosophies.

Stryse
    Participant
    Quote:
    Well with a recent post, it seems we are picking up some steam, and starting to get some backing, we have been added as a link to the Jedi main page, to wikiproject: philosophy, and even started to get some good defense in favor of keeping the page going. with any luck and a little work cleaning up the article, we will prevail!

As Bastila would say… the Force fights with us!  :P

Beral Khan
    Participant
    Anonymous

Oh – what a wonderful idea.  I love the Knights Of Awakening Podcast (and am one of their fairly frequent callers – heh).

I truly think it would both attract people inspired by Star Wars (as I was once) and also bring out some of the Jedi who have gone-away from the Jedi Community in the past three years or so.

Really – a wonderful idea! 

Jax
    Keymaster

I made some edits today trying to distinguish more from religion.  I hope it’s enough to avoid deletion for a while.  I just borrowed from the discussion you started Memnoich.  I think what we need, besides adding Streen’s book as reference, is to clean it up.  Right now it’s just a copy/paste from websites and that’s not going to cut it.  It looks unprofessional that way.  I hate to bug you guys more, but if we could get it rewritten to be more formal we’ll be doing good.  We already have far more substance than the Jediism page.  The only reason their page exists is because of the negative press.  Beyond that it isn’t informative.  So I think we have a good case for having a wikipedia entry. 

Memnoich
    Participant

it appears we lost the battle with wikipedia, at least until we can establish some more notoriety to base the page off of. Wither or not this is a bad thing, all depends on how we want to view it, do we want to keep on as we have been and worry about a wiki article some time else in the future, or start pushing to make ourselves more well known in order to get one approved later, time will tell how this will affect us.

Jax
    Keymaster

Personally, pushing for recognition is the wrong route to take.  The reason this website still exists is because we’ve focused on building our foundation – solid training, a community that doesn’t flame up in drama, simply supporting people in their path.  Every website I’ve seen go down has been due to going too fast and not taking care of the basics.  We need to be patient.  Is a wiki page important?  Honestly it’s probably better to not have one.  We can’t control the content there and thus I could see it turning into something that’s anti-jediism rather than pro-realist.  If someone wants to find realists they find us, and we can control content.  Our day will come, but if we try to force it faster we’ll ensure our demise rather than survival.  At least that’s the feeling I’ve continued to get from the Force.  Patience.  So I continue to follow that message.  If you have a different feeling, that’s ok too.  This may be a time for some people to focus on being more known, but it isn’t my focus. 

Jax
    Keymaster

I was just looking at wikipedia and realized that we can simply add a jedi realist section to the jedi religion page.  There we can state clearly that we don’t follow Jedi as a religion, so people know there are alternatives.  This site and many others are already listed on the page so we should clear that up.  Then we’re still out there without fighting wikipedia on their silly rules.

Memnoich
    Participant
    Quote:
    Personally, pushing for recognition is the wrong route to take.  The reason this website still exists is because we’ve focused on building our foundation – solid training, a community that doesn’t flame up in drama, simply supporting people in their path.  Every website I’ve seen go down has been due to going too fast and not taking care of the basics.  We need to be patient.  Is a wiki page important?  Honestly it’s probably better to not have one.  We can’t control the content there and thus I could see it turning into something that’s anti-jediism rather than pro-realist.  If someone wants to find realists they find us, and we can control content.  Our day will come, but if we try to force it faster we’ll ensure our demise rather than survival.  At least that’s the feeling I’ve continued to get from the Force.  Patience.  So I continue to follow that message.  If you have a different feeling, that’s ok too.  This may be a time for some people to focus on being more known, but it isn’t my focus. 

Well, I guess from looking though my past post, it’s been kind of ambiguous as to my stance on the whole thing, so I think I’ll put it out there. While I agree that we should weather the storm, and keep on as we have been, building a foundation and a core group, at the same time, I think its time for us to come out of the shadows, and be recognized for what we do. To me the Wiki page isn’t important, it was just something that would have been nice for helping people that need to find us do so. As it is, those that find us, seem to already be at the point that they are ready to find us, so this is one way we weed out those that aren’t ready for us. I’m not saying we need to go out and create a story to get us noticed, but there are things we can do, that we may already be doing, that if we stopped hiding the Jedi Realist part of us would help. For instance, if you have a few people in your area, Get together and volunteer, and list yourselves as Jedi Realist, go help out habitat for humanity building house, do a food drive, toy run, etc… I think putting together some advertisement, shirts, coffee mugs, hats, etc.. to allow us to at least get the name and site addy of IJRS out there for those friends and acquaintances who might be curious to check us out and see what we are about. in other words, unlike the Jediism news articles, instead of creating the news, be the news. Be the group that people are talking about because of what we are doing to help, not just what shenanigans are we up to.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here