• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jax
    Keymaster

I leave for Abu Dhabi in less than 24 hours.  I’ll be away for a full day at least, though I don’t know how slow the internet will be or if they block this site (don’t know why they would though). 

If anyone wants a postcard, send me a pm with your mailing address.  It’s not every day you get a postcard from abu dhabi after all. :-)

I’ll let you know when I start posting pictures. 

A Jedi may not crave adventure and excitement, but why can’t we embrace what comes? :-)

Magdelene Nashira
    Participant

Ok, Jax, will see you when you get back.  :ponder You mean Abu Dhabi is a real place?  I always thought it was just a fictional place on the Garfield cartoons!  LOL

Jax
    Keymaster

No, it’s a very real place. 

I have arrived safely.  However the internet is a painfully slow crawl and I was sharing my ethernet cable with the other two people who didn’t bring one (we all assumed there was wifi in the accommodations…)  I didn’t sleep much yet, I’ll be taking a nap soon, so it’ll be a few days as I get up to speed.  Send a pm if anyone needs anything.

I posted pictures from the trip here on facebook.  I’ll snag the link when the internet is behaving better.

Rocky Mountain Jedi
    Participant

I wish you continued safety and success on your trip Jax!    :)

Jax
    Keymaster
    Rocky Mountain Jedi
    Participant

Wonderful pictures, thank you for sharing!  8)

The poster of the man Zayed is for the following person:

Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan al-Nahyan was born the fourth son of Sultan bin Zayed in about 1918. Sheikh Sultan ruled Abu Dhabi from 1922–1926, following his father, Zayed bin Khalifa (known as Zayed the Great) who ruled from 1855–1909. They are of the Al-Nahyan family of the Bani Yas tribes, with roots deep in the central hills of the Arabian peninsula. Their family has ruled the Bedouin territory and tribes of the Abu Dhabi region for three centuries.

To the Emirati, the success of the UAE rests at the feet of Sheikh Zayed. In popular memory, the dream realized in founding the country was Zayed’s and it was his leadership, vision, and charisma that guided the young country into its place in the world. He was known affectionately to them as Baba (Papa) Zayed.

Read more at Suite101: Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan al-Nahyan: Ruler of Abu Dhabi, Founding President United Arab Emirates http://arab-history.suite101.com/article.cfm/sheikh_zayed_bin_sultan_alnahyan#ixzz0njdfexe6

Jax
    Keymaster

Thanks! lol  I figured he was someone like that.  I believe it is his family’s mosque that is called the great mosque here.  I will visit it at some point though I don’t think I can make it for the public tours.  I plan to explore a bit more this weekend, though I’m not sure if I’ll go friday or saturday.  Probably saturday since less happens on friday since it’s the holy day.  But I also have a lot of memorization to attempt which is made harder by my inability to see why I need to memorize it. lol  Time to lie in bed and help it lull me to sleep. ;-)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here