• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kate Solusar
    Participant

Hello to all,

I am Kate Solusar, a longtime member of Ashla Knights.  This is one of the sites I visit regularly and last week saw a post that I really wanted to respond to, so I registered.  I recognize a number of people here from various places and just wanted to say hi.

As for my background,  I am a high school history teacher by profession and currently am primarily a stay-at-home parent to two sons, 8 and 6 and serve as service coordinator and advocate for my youngest son, who has autism.  I am an academy instructor at Ashla, and work with a number of academy students in that role.  Beyond that, I’ve been happily married for 10 years and stumbled upon Jedi Realism because of the interests of my oldest in Star Wars.  It has been a good fit and challenge for me as I continue to study, train, and live this path.  There is a significant minority in the Autism community who find themselves really identifying and using the philosophy of the Jedi and also of Star Trek in their lives.  I find myself one of them as I strive to parent my child and find other means to connect with and understand my son as he is.  For me the Jedi path has been a means of that, and much, much more.  I look forward to walking this way with this community as well.

Best regards,

Kate Solusar

Jax
    Keymaster

Welcome!  I hadn’t realized there was a group in the autism community that was looking toward star wars and star trek, but it certainly makes sense.  Perhaps you could share some of that perspective, or provide other general information about this.  Have they created their own views, or do they visit other sites/perspectives?

Thanks for sharing!

Kate Solusar
    Participant

When I first saw your question, I wasn’t quite sure how to answer it.  There is a blog called “Life in the New Republic” about a mom and her son with autism.  She relies quite a bit on what she calls “Jedi philosophy” and I know there are others who talk about it quite frequently.  Since autism is highly individualistic, there are very few common efforts or groups that form, even around current interests.  You can find these folks, but have to do some digging for them.  I know that a number of people on the autism spectrum (more toward the high functioning Asperger’s syndrome folks) are members on the various forums, but tend to only come out to someone when they feel comfortable.  Here’s the link to Life in the New Republic, http://lisa-jedi.blogspot.com/.  I know of a couple of other people who talk about similar ideas and topics as Lisa does, but I’m not sure of the links and it has been some time since I have been in those circles as my offline life has become far busier.  I share my own thoughts on these topics at Ashla.  That link is:  http://ashlaknights.net/holocrons/kate_solusar/.  As time and discussions in this forum go, I would be happy to provide that perspective as the opportunity to do so arises.

As for Star Trek, those links are harder to find, because it might be referenced in several posts, but not enough to catch the links.  I can say this, however.  Mr. Spock is quite the favorite character.

That’s all I can think of for now, but if you go to a search engine and type in Autism and Star Wars, you’d be surprised and intrigued by the results you’d get.

Best regards,

Kate Solusar

Jax
    Keymaster

Thanks, that’s quite interesting.  It definitely makes sense, based on what I know about autism and such.  By the way, I’d strongly recommend a book called The Brain That Changes Itself.  It provides the many areas of research that disprove many of the conventional ideas of the brain, including how different techniques help autistic and other differently thinking folks. Even without that, I’d recommend it to every educator.  It completely changed how I deal with my wife’s brain issues (seizures) and improved our ability to rehab her brain after it’s been damaged by a seizure. 

Jedi_Phoenix

:welcome

Enjoy your stay!!!! ;D

Anonymous

Hey Kate!  Good to see you here…  Welcome!

– Asta

The Great Hulking Scotsma
    Participant

Hello Kate,  :welcome hope your enjoy your stay here, feel free to make it your home :D

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here