• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Aslyn
    Participant

If I laugh at you, Beral, ask yourself what prompted me to do so. As a Jedi, you should never take offense at what others do (although I can quite understand if that takes some serious work!), but rather, seek to learn from it. If someone else spots something that they can laugh at, or use as a basis to attack you personally, ask yourself what you are doing to create that perception, and what you might then do to alter the way you present yourself.

And, of course, you can laugh at yourself without it being at your expense, can you not? In fact, I can laugh at you without it being at your expense, come to think of it. It’s all dependent on two things: intent, and consequential perception. If I laugh at you, how will you interpret what I have done? Did I do so maliciously, or because you did or said something that I interpreted as amusing? And if you did not, how might you be presenting yourself, that I can look at you and laugh at you?

Remember: everything people do in relation to you is an avenue to Self-Awareness, if you keep your eyes and mind open.

Icarus
    Participant

I think, more importantly, we should ask if this is wrong or not? Is it wrong to laugh at someone’s expense? Only if the one we are laughing at is offended, or harmed in some way, by our laughter.

I admit, I laugh at people all the time. I laugh at myself all of the time. It’s fun. I also understand that there is a limit to this, and also know when not to laugh.

I love this topic, though, and am so glad that it was brought up.

Aslyn
    Participant

Well, I laugh at you all the time, Andrea. Are you offended? ;)

Icarus
    Participant

Nope, not at all. After all, to me, you’re laughter fodder for my boredom cannons. :D

Beral Khan
    Participant
    Quote:
    Nope, not at all. After all, to me, you’re laughter fodder for my boredom cannons. :D

I swear I read “bedroom cannons.”  :rofl:  I don’t even know what that is!

Icarus
    Participant

:rofl:

Brandel Valico
    Participant

Something not at the expense of others that is amusing?

One thing I can think of is hearing or seeing students or friends or children commit the same mistakes you made in your own youth.
    I always find it amuses me to see the cycle in full swing as it promises they may someday reach the point I’m currently at and be looking back seeing their own friends,students,children making those same mistakes.

Now I realize you may think this is at the expense of the people being looked at. Or at my own self and the folly of my youth.
    But it’s not the person I’m amused by. Or even myself as I was back then. But the situation itself.

To give an example, A friend of mine has been learning Martial Arts as of late and we have had several discussions about it. How his presence and mannerisms have changed as well as how others react to him have changed due to his doing so. I told him before he began such things would happen. He disagreed and said it wouldn’t because he simply wouldn’t tell anyone. Long story short it did. As he was telling me it wouldn’t and then again how it had even though he tried not to let it. I recalled myself saying almost the exact same things to my own teachers.

It wasn’t my friend I was laughing at. Though at first he thought it was. Or even myself for having thought as we did. But simply the amusing belief we both had that in changing ourselves it wouldn’t change how others reacted to us.

I often find such things amusing. For myself it’s never the actual people involved in a situation that amuses me so much as the situation itself. I once laughed longer then I care to admit at watching a fire barrel (Used for burning trash for those who have never lived in the country) that was put to close to the road get doused every so often by the irrigation sprayer in the field next door. (It was just far enough away it only got hit when the wind picked up enough to carry the water just the extra few inchs to get the barrel.) It wasn’t the fact the guy had put the barrel so close to it. Since normally it was far enough away it didn’t get hit. It was simply that something in the whole situation of the burning trash with fire flicking up got dampened every so often by the water if the wind carried it. Then would slowly build back up and become a good burning fire again as the wind ebbed. Until it picked up again to cause the water to dampen it again. Amused me to no end.

It’s those same habits in people I find amusing. The cycle they repeat over and over again. Be it an individual doing it or a group. It’s not the person or people involved that amuses me but the cycle itself. All to often someone will say “I’m never gonna do this or that again” Then later they do it again. I’ve done it myself to be sure.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that finding the situation one finds themselves or others in amusing isn’t the same as finding amusement from seeing them in that situation.

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here