• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    janos718
    Participant

I think one of the main things and probably the hardest and controversial is… Detachment. A jedi MUST be detached from everything and in most ways even from people. Only thru detachment can we truly quiet our minds. Remember attachment is forbid as it leads to fear of loss and then to the dark side. It is also important for truly quieting the mind so that it can hear the force speak.

Aslyn
    Participant

Controversial? An interesting point of view. Here, it’s one of the first things a student is taught, just after moving past the initial Novitiate classes. That and, of course, Mindfulness: the two techniques that are fundamental to applying Jedi emotional methodology.

seeker125
    Participant
    Quote:
    I think one of the main things and probably the hardest and controversial is… Detachment. A jedi MUST be detached from everything and in most ways even from people. Only thru detachment can we truly quiet our minds. Remember attachment is forbid as it leads to fear of loss and then to the dark side. It is also important for truly quieting the mind so that it can hear the force speak.

The notion that a true Jedi must not have relationships or that its forbidden, is one of the things that can be most off putting about following the jedi path.
    Just because it says so in ‘Jedi Mythology’ (The Star Wars movies and books), it does not have to be so in Jedi Realism, after all we are trying to apply Jedi philosphy realistically to everyday life. 
    At its most basic level, to be a Jedi, one simply has to believe in the Force and apply the Jedi code to thier everyday life when ever possible.  Becoming a Jedi Knight or Jedi Master of course, requires far, far more training, study and commitment.  Some however, may simply be happy just to be a Jedi and should be encouraged to do so should they wish to.
    However going back to ‘Jedi Mytholgy’, (the extended Star Wars universe), even Jedi Master Luke Skywalker forms a relationship with Mara Jade.  So if this is anything to go by, real world Jedi can have relationships and still continue to follow and study the way of the Jedi.

Aslyn
    Participant

Common sense would indicate that much, Seeker. There are some quite significant differences between modern Jedi Realism and the Jedi idealism of Star Wars. You’ll discover that as you go along.

seeker125
    Participant
    Quote:
    Common sense would indicate that much, Seeker. There are some quite significant differences between modern Jedi Realism and the Jedi idealism of Star Wars. You’ll discover that as you go along.

Thank you Aslyn, thats good to ‘hear’.  I Have been visiting various Jedi sites and reading posts here and there by various people and some seem to think that relationships should be frobidden to anyone trying to follow the Jedi path, and to be honest that made me feel uneasy, so I had to ‘say’ something about it, even though I’m a newbie here.

Aslyn
    Participant

Well, you’ll have to take into account a couple of things. Firstly, most of the people talking on the sites wouldn’t know what training was if it came up and bit them, online or offline. Secondly, even out of the number who are aware of training and ideological concepts, maybe 100 people in the entire community ever actually put them into practice in an offline setting. Best, therefore, to take everything you hear with a pinch of salt.

Yoshio
    Quote:
    What do you feel a Jedi should learn? What would your syllabus look like?

Should there be an initial skills test to see what he or she might already be proficient in and therefore go to the classes that are at their level or should they all just go through the same classes no matter whether they’ve previously learned the material? <--(long question, huh?) Do you feel that the structured style better fits a student or should one just hint at where the lesson could be found and allow the student to explore for themselves?

First of all I think, and that’s just my opinion, a student whom is willing to learn and ready to start should already have an idea of what he/she wants to learn or how to study.
    By that, I mean, that for the Jedi-Path or every other Path in life (the Japanese “DO”) you start walking – in my case the martial arts – you begin in a basic course with basic stuff and then the development comes through the training.
    So, for me, the question is more what does basics are and I think they are already well mentioned here.
    First of all it is import the get to know you self. But this is, in my opinion, a never ending process. So there should be a basic course in Self awareness which can be later on being brought into depth.
    Then the student should become aware of what this Path is all about. For that, a way could be the interpretation of the Jedi Code.
    Then, if these two points are cover, I think the student is ready to go into a deeper stage of study the Jedi-Path. This can then be done through advanced self awareness, meditation, ethic etc.
    In the end I would like to mention that, in my opinion, a student is best learning when he/she is not forced to do something but is free to decide what to learn. But to be note misunderstood I don’t mean that a student should be allowed to just pick out only the peas and skip the rest. I think more of a possibility, that, if the student think that he/she has already enough understanding of a topic, it should be possible to take something like a test or write any essay about the topic or what ever and by the accreditation of this “skip” the course. What I mean with this is, that I personally find it frustrating/demotivating, if I know with every change of the online academy/board or what every, that I have to run through the more or less same stuff again and again. In this way, I think, a development is not possible, because development comes through going forward and not stepping on the same spot.
    Sorry if the last few sentences sound a little harsh, they are just my point of few and I’m here willing to learn what ever is possible.

Xhaiden
    Keymaster

Overall I agree with the points. I am a stickler when it comes to assessment and a simple test is not enough or even that effective when determining what someone knows. Tests and essay type assessments on their own are not reliable or even valid ways to assess. However, if you do multiple things and combine it in the form of a portfolio, then you will have a much better idea of what someone knows. A single test is like a snap shot photo. You can have a bad hair day, does that mean your hair is always messed up like it was in the photo, no. It just means on that one day at that moment your hair wasn’t good. Just like a test, you should never use just one test and even one style of a test to be your basis in saying what a student can or can’t do or what they know or don’t know.

Okay, enough of my ranting on testing..lol

Jax
    Keymaster

Well, to put your fears at ease Xhaiden, testing at the academy will not be simply a written test.  Nor will it be limited to the online realm.  There will be real time elements, chat elements, and offline elements for certain ranks at least.  It will be individualized and comprehensive.  Should be fun!  lol

Anonymous

You know – about “skipping” classes…  This Term I would have “skipped” both classes had I the choice. 

They are both classes I needed to learn – but I wouldn’t have known it.  Actually they are a different “take” than I had expected.

But perhaps some people could “test-out” of classes (I did that when entering University – I went to a really good high school).  Particularly if they’ve already done basically the same work elsewhere?

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here