• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Silver Talon
    Participant

First, I don’t think emotion is bad. But preparing for the worst: realizing that death is near – noone says that there has to be fear or negative emotions. These ‘negative’ emotions are just signals indicating that there needs to be a change. If you fear death – if you fear the worst – then there is something that you need to change. Most people fear death because they are unprepared for it. I’m not. I’ve faced death plenty of times. Enough to know that I’m calm and collected in facing it because I’ve lived my life right and good and so death is more of a friend than something to fear.

Expecting the worse. Ok. So again, some people see this as fearful. Why? Wrong attitude! I view problems and ‘the worst’ not as negative things but as positives. We don’t become strong by remaining within our tiny little box. We have to stretch out into the unfamiliar and do something hard in order to grow stronger in character and become better as a person. Problems are just opportunities to test yourself and to grow.

Again, accepting these things that I’m saying is part of the warrior culture. To face the unknown with courage and even anticipation because it will provide a chance for new growth. In truth, the worst possible scenario is to have nothing out of the ordinary happen – to have nothing to struggle against and thus no growth.

It is all a matter of perspective. Your emotions are yours to control. Like you were saying, Jax, in your conflict resolution post; how you react emotionally to a word is based on your own perception of the meaning. An example that I liked was a guy opens a door for a woman and she turns around and calls him a macho pig. His intent was to show her respect or kindness. Her interpretation was that he was being superior, not respecting their equality or her independance. We choose how we interpret events. Our emotional state is in our hands.

A warrior ‘owns up’ to this fact. Doesn’t have time to be negative because life is just too short. Death is shoulder to shoulder with you telling you to live your life effectively and with joy. I get buddy buddy with death and have even come to enjoy the close calls where he taps me on the shoulder when a car pulls out in front of me. He’s telling me ‘Hey, are you living your life with power today?’ My heart tells me that I am because it’s not even beating hard. If you are afraid of death, what have you left undone? What do you need to change in order to feel comfortable with the idea of being no more? Take care of it. You’ll be happier and more fulfilled because of it.

Jax
    Keymaster

I agree.  As long as we are clear about how we go about doing things – preparing for the worst for instance – then it makes sense.  But it’s also good to clarify this in case someone reads this post randomly and misunderstands.  :-)

Kai-An
    Participant

I like what Xhaiden said about spiralling, and although I do agree self awareness is very important, I feel it is slowly learned through other things. You start to learn about something, and discover things about yourself or run into road blocks. You then have to explore the road blocks or revelations, and your knowledge slowly expands out from your points of interest. You have to start with something somewhat basic that the student is interested in and move out from there, stringing topic together as the students knowledge-horizon expands.

Much love,
    Kai-An

Angelus

I’ve seen quite a bit of discussion on the “what” a Jedi need to learn. I wanted to bring to mind the other aspect of learning, the “how”. I have always been a firm believer that life itself is the best teacher. So it is in our everyday existence that we must exercise those things which we learn. The more we practice the skills the better we become.

I think it is easier to learn things in an offline manner specifically because we have systems of accountability. There is a teacher to measure our progression; we see the effects of our knowledge in practice; we can even feel if we are going as we should. However, in this online setting it becomes more difficult. We don’t have those checks and balances. It becomes to easy to “walk away” from the computer because there is no relationship connected with it (although there are times I do think my computer is attached to my hip). To overcome this obstacle, one needs “discipline.” I have taken several distance-learning courses, online courses, etc. I admit it has been difficult because of the above stated comments. But if one can first learn to set time away specifically for training/practice/meditation/etc, then this discipline will go a long way.

Jax
    Keymaster

Another part of the problem is that, I don’t know that this is very ‘real’ for people.  For example, I feel like a Marine every day.  I went through boot camp, and in that process I was forever changed.  It doesn’t matter how long I’ve been out, there is always that part of me that is a Marine.  I don’t have the same experience for Jedi.  I mean, I have that moment where I found the path, or the path found me, but I don’t have anything beyond that. 

What has made the difference, however, is meeting some people that I talk to very often for ideas and support.  I’ve found a community, even though it is almost entirely online.  What I’ve been trying to determine since taking over as principal is how to build a sense of community for someone new.  A sense of community brings about a certain amount of accountability.  The better you know a person, the easier it is to determine when they’re lieing or faking it. 

The other thing to address is how to keep motivation up.  There is always that element of self motivation and discipline, but there are things instructors can do to make it easier on the student.  As soon as I have a bit of time, I’m going to do further research in this. 

The online world is not ideal for learning.  But, it’s the best we have right now, and it connects us across a lot of distance.  I think we have a lot of room to improve and do our very best with what we have available to us.

Kai-An
    Participant

For the Record, this site is really great motivation-wise already (of course improvement is nice though). With the class system and now having a forum we can really create a tight-knit welcoming community, and I find community is the best way to improve motivation and participation. For example, I’m a lot more likely to to my class homework on time or spend time at the site when I know and have talked with my teacher and/or peers. For a medium that isn’t ideal for learning, I’d say we’re doing a pretty good job.

Much love,
    Kai-An

PadawanBeldaPinik
    Participant

Hello there, Meditation helped me alot and I’d recomend it to everyone.  thanks

Jax
    Keymaster

yes, I think meditation needs to be something incorporated from the beginning, as an integral part of force training and self understanding.  It’s only in silence that we can start to hear our inner wisdom. 

Kai-An
    Participant

*grins* Yay, advertising for my class… ^_~

Jax
    Keymaster

lol true.  And lord knows I’ve been reminded enough lately to meditate more.  So I listened, and it’s given me the strength to push through all the adversity in my life right now.  :-)

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here