• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Pyro1560
    Participant

So I’ve been thinking for some time, ever since I wrote the Introductory Course at JRA(two years ago now) about rewriting the course (I never did feel staisfied with the way it turned out) and perhaps even revamping everything that my happy little mind wanted to, but there’s always been one thing that keeps slapping me in the face and taunting me. “What should a Jedi learn?”

I’ve heard people say that self-awareness should come first, I’ve had others tell me that meditation should be the beginners main concern, and others yet have just said throw everything at them and see what sticks. But now I felt that it might be appropriate to bring this up here.

What do you feel a Jedi should learn? What would your syllabus look like?

Should there be an initial skills test to see what he or she might already be proficient in and therefore go to the classes that are at their level or should they all just go through the same classes no matter whether they’ve previously learned the material? <--(long question, huh?) Do you feel that the structured style better fits a student or should one just hint at where the lesson could be found and allow the student to explore for themselves? I understand that most of these can be answered with “Well it depends on the student”, but I just want to know your personal ideas and preferences.

Jedi_Phoenix

Well in my point of view and from what I have seen the syllabus could be all over the place….however, from what I have experienced personally and dealt with recently I think we should set an internal foundation.

If that is through meditation- great; if it is through self-awarness- thats great too.  I think the basic thing a student should learn is about themselves.  That sounds like self-awarness, but I mean REALLY understand themselves, then let it pile up from there:
    1)Learn about themselves
    2)learn about the jedi
    3)decided if the Jedi truly are the way for them

Now what should be learned in each of those can vary, but thats my take on it ;)

Jedi Nitro
    Participant

I’m not sure I can explain why, but my first reaction to the question was they should learn what ever thay want to learn. We are drawn to the path for a reason, which is different to each of us.

Some come to learn about themselves, others the Force, while others the physical or spiritual side. The reason we came here will obviously be our main focus.

Take care,
    Nitro

Pyro1560
    Participant

Yoda,

Thanks for pointing out the difference. To me I’ve always treated how to be a Jedi and how to find yourself as two parts of the same. But perhaps the students would get much more out of it if something were set up that challenged them to look inward and grow rather than having them always relate the growth to Jedi ideals and possibly throw it out later on in life when they may have found the path wasn’t for them. Then, when they seem to have that down, have them begin to incorporate Jedi beliefs into their daily lives and learn to use it as a compliment to life.

Nitro,

I agree that each of us is on a path all our own and so that the learning should stem from what we believe we need to learn. But for every one student that I’ve had who has known what they want I’ve had ten more who didn’t have a clue. How would we treat these people? A personality test perhaps? Examining their interests?

Just figured I’d throw it out there.

Jedi Nitro
    Participant

Yeah, I suppose that would work. Although, throwing tests at new students can put them off slightly. Hmm… If I had a student who didn’t know where they wanted to head too, I would begin to teach basics on different aspects of the Jedi Way. Examples could be basics on meditation, the Force, history etc

Nitro

Jacen
    Participant
    Quote:

I agree that each of us is on a path all our own and so that the learning should stem from what we believe we need to learn. But for every one student that I’ve had who has known what they want I’ve had ten more who didn’t have a clue. How would we treat these people? A personality test perhaps? Examining their interests?

I agree with Nitro on the point that everyone is an individual, with different needs and desires.  I feel, however, that we are looking more at an age issue than a spiritual issue.  Most Jedi or those aspiring to be one, are young, probably teenagers.  From my own teenage experiences, I know how hard it is to understand your purpose.  Once I got to my 20’s, things started to look clearer, and only recently did I really know what I needed to do with my life.

I think if you want to help these people that don’t know what they want, they need individual attention, specific assistance for their specific lives.  There is no one answer.

Jax
    Keymaster

This is something we’ll be addressing over the coming months actually, as we attempt to make the best curriculum we can for this academy.  These are my initial thoughts:

If a student doesn’t know the self, then they’ll be constantly running into issues that come from within.  For instance, if a person struggles with anger, and never stops to figure out why, they’ll not be able to conquer the anger.  Also, knowing the self makes it much easier to understand others.

A student needs to be aware of and build their connection to the force.  Without that connection, a person really isn’t a jedi.  Therefore, force building exercises, sensing, and moving energy are all important in the relatively early stages. 

And finally, a student needs a solid ethical base.  Otherwise you have people running around doing things without thinking of the consequences. 

So it seems to me that these are the basics of the Jedi.  The other stuff is all important, but this is what sets a Jedi apart.  Now, what order should they go in?  It seems like each should be attacked at the same time.  Perhaps then, a first term should include self awareness, force sensing, and ethics.  Then it expands into further studies in each, and other side topics that are useful and of interest to the student.  I see it kind of like college in that there are required topics you take first, then advanced topics you take later, and supporting topics taken whenever the student wants.  This gives the student flexibility to choose things of more interest.

Another key thing is interaction.  It would be awesome to have one on one partnerships, but that’s tricky with the number of people around qualified to teach vs the number of students. But, this could be addressed if, during the first month or so, a student works with an experienced member to set goals and a training focus.  Once those are set, the student meets with this advisor every few months to look at the goals and revise them if necessary.  Lol, again like college where you check in with your advisor each semester.

So those are my initial thoughts.  What do you guys think?

Jacen
    Participant

You seem to have nailed the basics, Jax, so agree with you.

So let’s see…

Self knowledge
    Force sensitivity
    Ethics

That’s pretty solid.  Of course defining what they are, and what is required of an apprentice for them to be considered knowledgable in those areas, is a different matter.  But at least we have a starting point.

inari
    Participant

Well, I’d agree with the stuff in Jacen’s last post, and perhaps add a few more:

– How to think. I don’t mean how to work out the square root of 345 in your head, rather how to think in a way thats going to get you out of trouble if you are in trouble; and otherwise solve problems. I am continually amazed by the number of people who are incapable of thinking in a logical manner. For example, I am a software developer and the company I work for also monitors (and fixes) the batch runs for large retail companies. So if we get a problem with a program that runs during the batch, it has to be diagnosed and fixed right then and there, or diagnosed and recognised as something that can wait. I also tend to train most of the new people, and it is SO hard to teach them not to follow written instructions all the time, but actually use their noggins.

– Hand in hand with the ability to be logical is the ability to use intuition. Jedi need to learn to trust their intuition. This is also hard. It might sound funny that logic and intuition can go hand in hand but they do combine very effectively. I usually run with the logic until I get an intuitive flash.

– How to focus

– How to be aware of many things at once.

All of these are skills that are not directly related to self-awareness or Force sensitivity, but they are very useful as foundation skills.

Inari

Jax
    Keymaster

Yes, those are good points Inari.  I could see that as a second tier – something to start it with on the second term or so. 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here