• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jax
    Keymaster

I’ve finally decided this is as good a place as any.  This weekend I’ll be planting my container garden where I attempt to grow fresh food for us to enjoy this summer.  I’m not very good at it, especially the watering portion, but I keep trying.  This year I’ll have:
    3 varieties of tomatoes (5 plants total)
    fairytale eggplant (2 plants)
    basil (3 plants in one pot that smell really good)
    chives
    strawberries
    mojito mint (for tea)
    cilantro (for fresh pico de gallo)

I want more but only have so much space.  If I find I have more room I’ll see if I can grow a few other things.  However, everything has to be growable in a 5 gallon bucket or smaller which restricts my options.  Also, I find myself unable to focus well enough to grow from seed.  I need a garden coach :-)

Is anyone else growing plants this year for food?  What are you growing?

Memnoich
    Participant

Strawberries, Tomatoes, Gonna try some potatoes, Green beans, onions, Squash,I have wild garlic and mint that comes back every year. My G/F wants to do watermelons

Jax
    Keymaster

Are you planting in the ground? 

Jedi_Phoenix
    Quote:
    mojito mint (for tea)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jax
    Keymaster

I’m sure they can be used for…other…drinks, but we’ll use them for tea. Or cooking? I don’t know how to use mint in food, but that’ll be for Carrie to work with. lol

Kol Drake

Just got back from two months being ‘away’… and winter ran into spring into an overgrown backyard of semi grass and some kind of sprawling, flowering weedy stuff.  Unpacking tonight so I can get cracking on …. either hand weeding an entire yard or figuring out what will kill this stuff without killing all the other stuff that SHOULD be in the yard.  (( Think the squirrels were overly active in burying ‘stuff’ seeds… grrrrr ))

Jax
    Keymaster

lol the yard strikes back!  Good luck with that. 

I just transplanted the 4 tomato and 2 eggplant plants.  I’m doing a comparison of two different moisture control soils (Scotts and Miracle Grow) since I finally found the Miracle Grow in the correct size (one I can actually carry).  I can say that Miracle Grow looks richer, much darker.  Though it is also more dense which can be a problem in containers.  However, both are formulated for containers so we’ll see what happens.  Tomorrow I’ll get the herbs into containers (smaller ones).  I also picked up a lavender plant today with the intention of learning to dry the leaves and make satchels from for pillows.  I’ve never done it before, but Carrie said “it’s kinda like drying pot” which I’m also unfamiliar with, but it made me laugh.  I guess there are some people in the modern world who still have some ancient skills. ;-)  I hope one day to take a course, or find someone near me (wherever that may be) to teach me more about the preparation of herbs, identifying them, etc.  This isn’t something I can easily do with just a book. 

Macgilleon
    Participant

Memnoich KEEP THE WATERMELONS AWAY from everything else!!!!! they will CHOKE the Living S#!^ out of your other plants same for pumpkins.

Jax:Ref the Mint Good for minted peas, making Jelly,  I’ve used it making lamb, some types of fish(stuffed trout with a nice sprig of mint inside)as well as a warm potato salad… Speaking on potatoes you can either build or purchase a planter about 3-4 ft in length and say roughly 1-2 ft deep and you can grow a small batch that way also would work nicely for carrots and peas(IF you have a climbing space- chicken wire fence works well, about 4 ft high) Now if you are in an apt… try for the the 3 ft diameter planters and grow all the herbs in there, and use the long planter right along the rail so the taters(should you chose to plant any get a pile of sunlight)

Also green onions do well in all of these planters…

I should warn you, I only am decent with stuff you don’t need to be too fussy with as I have the black thumbs of death… but if you can eat it I can grow it…LOL DON’T ask me to deal with house plants…LOL

Jax
    Keymaster

If I lived on the ground floor I’d be all about it.  But moving a giant planter to the second and third floors? lol  I think I’ll pass for now.  When we move to Canada I’ll hope for a ground floor with space to grow more stuff, though the growing season will be much shorter.  Someday I’ll have a house with land and then I’ll have a greenhouse so I don’t have to worry about it. :-) 

This is good information though.  If I get real motivated I’ll consider it though.  Right now the largest go in 5 gallon buckets which should be big enough for single plants. 

I did find out there is a local course about wild edible plants in the area so I hope to take that in May.  I would love to know this stuff, plus it’d be fun at the gathering. :-)

Memnoich
    Participant

Yeah, I’ve dealt with the watermelons and pumpkins before, biggest problem I had with them was the amount of water that they took.

Jax: sounds cool, I’ve been looking at a local survival class myself. One thing I read about that I always thought would be cool, is there is a guy in New York that does a class on wild edibles, and he actually takes you for a walk around central park gathering them while he teaches, and then at the end of the class, you all make a meal out of what you gathered. Always thought that would be cool to do.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here