• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Commander-of-One
    Participant

As a person who has been scouring all Jedi sites for years, hanging around, reading, studying, rarely posting, etc. i have to say that all sites have problems. I have seen jrc having problems where there was a person there who called and e-mailed and harrassed others on the site. Eventualy that person was banned but that site has its own problems.

As we can see, the matter has been resovled since Jaxs information was proven to be false or misleading. This is a fine example of why a person should obtain all knowledge before saying negative things against a site or person. What we see is not always what has truly happened.

Although we as jedi would like to protect each other from sites that are questionable, even sites that are not questionable can have negative qualities. There are a mix of people at all the sites which leads towards a variety of conversations, some that can be found to be offensive and others that are enlightening.

People should be allowed to make their own judgements. I like my coffee weak but others would say they like it strong. Is it any less coffee?

Jax
    Keymaster

In general, yes that’s true.  But, if a site has child predators, then we have a duty to warn people about that. 

If you liked your coffee week, and you weren’t told that the coffee at another location was strong, I’m sure you’d prefer a warning so you knew to either avoid the coffee all together or to be prepared for it.

Commander-of-One
    Participant

If the site has child predators you report it to the proper authorities that way you don’t need to go around warning people.

Quote:
    If you liked your coffee week, and you weren’t told that the coffee at another location was strong, I’m sure you’d prefer a warning so you knew to either avoid the coffee all together or to be prepared for it.

How would you know what i consider weak coffee? You don’t. Just like i won’t know what you would consider strong coffee. Since i take sips of my coffee first i am duly warned as to the strength. If it is too strong i can add ice to weaken it.

You also need to consider that people tend to gravitate to that which is controversial. By saying to people to stay away from this site or that site you are basically encouraging them to go and check out the controversy. Just like a vehicle accident that draws in rubber neckers so will a signaled out site draw in site-seers.  ;D

Jax
    Keymaster

Personally, it doesn’t matter to me what your preferences are.  We have people as young as 13 on this board, and therefore I have a duty to protect them in any way that I can.  It isn’t always so cut and dried as reporting people to the proper authorities, since we often don’t have full real names or locations to go on.  And, if a person is not actively violating a law at that moment, there isn’t much that can be done. 

Many people are fully capable of handling whatever is present on a site, whether good or bad.  But there are also plenty of people who are new and under the impression that Jedi are automatically trustworthy.  Therefore, if a site is suspect they deserve a warning.  I don’t say someone can or cannot visit a site, as it is their choice in the end.  And I can’t help if they have a behavior pattern that causes them to seek conflict and possibly harm.  That is something that is addressed through their training.  But to say that no one should speak up and warn the younger students is just incorrect and allows more people to possibly be sucked into a situation because they didn’t know if was a problem.

But, just to be clear, the person was dealt with and is gone at this point from the online community that people are aware of.  That doesn’t mean everyone is safe, just that one known predator is doing the right thing and has removed himself from the community, as far as I know.  The reason this thread got confused is that I was told of two different situations and got confused between the two.  In any case, the warning is true for any site, as everyone needs to be aware and pay attention to how they feel when talking to someone.  If something feels off, pay attention to it.  We’ll do our best to let students know if there is anything they need to be particularly aware of, but  we don’t know everything that goes on.  Just know that inappropriate behavior is not tolerated at this academy and will be dealt with accordingly.

Commander-of-One
    Participant
    Quote:
    Personally, it doesn’t matter to me what your preferences are.

Ew, not so nice are we. This is one of the reasons why I don’t post on this boards. Back to the walls, I guess.

Jax
    Keymaster

That’s not at all what I meant.  I meant to say that, clearly you don’t need warnings, or even desire them, which is fine.  These type of warnings aren’t meant for you, then.  Instead they are meant for those who are younger and/or more naive and need a warning.  It seems like only those who don’t need warnings are the ones saying not to give them.  But that doesn’t address the issue of those who need a bit more protection.  Therefore, we will continue to give warnings and find ways to educate people about internet safety for those who need it.  If you don’t need it, then perhaps it’s best to ignore the warnings. 

When I say I don’t care about your preferences I mean that I will do whatever is necessary to protect those who come to this academy to learn.  Hopefully we educate them enough that they don’t need the warning after a term or two here, but we can’t assume everyone knows how to be aware of dangerous people when they first arrive.  Hopefully this makes more sense now.  I certainly don’t try to be unkind to people, but sometimes words are said in a less than appropriate way. 

Anonymous

Well to be clear – Jedi Sanctuary never had this problem.  It was another Jedi site, and Jedi from that site, which was stalking TO the Jedi Sanctuary.  They were booted off that site…and have not been seen for months.

Child predators are a concern.  But there was never a child predator at Jedi Sanctuary (that was of whom we speak)…let’s make that really clear.  There are some on the Jedi sites, just as there are child predators everywhere…

With Monitoring Software on most youngsters computers, these “predators” are foolish to go to Jedi Sites.  But I do believe it is up to each of us as Jedi to be aware and vigilant in “unhealthy” people online, who target the vulnereable and young…

Just setting the whole thing straight…  Seems like the real “trouble makers” do not last long once they are known on Jedi Boards…  I, for one, am grateful for that.  Some online communities seem to thrive on it…

-Asta Sophi

niki disaster
    Participant

Sorry i know that this topic hasnt been replied to for a while.

I was just wondering,

Astra – This jedi organisation that you say seeks to be the official voice of the Jedi. Which organisation was it? the only reason i ask is that i thought ‘The Jediism Way’ were supposed to do a radio interview in Texas. Was wondering if it was them. It would surprise me if it was.

Also on a different note. It would be ESSENTIAL for a sufficient warning such as Jax’s to have more details or an offer of contact to discuss it in private at the very least. That is at least what would be expected of me in my YouthWork Capacity if i discovered such a thing to happening on an internet site that i worked with. I’m not saying to give ALL details, that would also be wrong, but the details with the warning on this forum was certainly not enough. I’m sorry, i know i am new to the academy, and i am not making any personal attack or saying that you are in the wrong Jax. I am only giving reference to what i would be expected to do as a Youth Worker and saying that i can understand why people may be a little annoyed at the lack of details you gave.

Nik

Jax
    Keymaster

I didn’t have permission to share details.  And since I had no personal experience with the person or website in question, I couldn’t share them.  And since in this case I was confused with the website names, it was good that I didn’t.  It’s natural for people to want more information, but sometimes it’s not an option at the time.  Besides, in every situation online it’s important for everyone to remember that they don’t know the person on the other end of a conversation and need to keep their awareness.  There are still people in the Jedi community who are dangerous but haven’t gotten caught doing anything ‘wrong’.  So it’s best to simply be aware that people aren’t automatically trustworthy.

That having been said, I can say that the faculty here have almost all met each other offline for a few days.  Inari even stayed at my house when she visited the US for the gathering this past summer.  Our level of trust with each other is pretty high I believe.  But that doesn’t mean you should automatically trust us either.  ;-)  Hopefully, over time, we’ll get to meet many of you at Jedi gatherings and earn trust.  After all, we’re not (too) scary. 

Anonymous

This is 6 months later…but the person who was a known convicted pedophile was being watched.

He is now gone from all Jedi sites – or gone under-cover.  (There are reasons for not “outting” someone). He may have assumed another name now.

The big thing is to keep warning underage members to go to Admins of sites if they are uncomfortable. 

Knowing there was a convicted child molester was important to community awareness.  There are certain assigned Jedi that are keeping an eye on various sites. 

The Jedi are going above what is found at most sites.  All that can be done is being done.

Awareness is key…

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here