• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Icarus
    Participant

Actually, if you think about it, the Jedi are very similar to a cult… or more like a “sect.” There is a “rebirth” process that takes place as the new member becomes resocialized in the institution of the Jedi Way. They are “led” by certain mentors and teachers, as well as usually look up to one or more charasmatic leaders. The Jedi themselves, are said to be led by the Force, which in cults would be construed as being divine inspiration… There is a certain amount of rejection of lifestyle patterns when one chooses this path. There will be a loss of friends or familiarity with family members as others reject what the new Jedi does and believes. The Jedi do not appeal to everyone. Instead, the Jedi appeal to those that have “different” beliefs and abilities, so there is a natural exclusion of society’s doctrine that takes place. There are other examples, but when looked at objectiveley, we could be seen as a cult or a sect. Bearing that in mind, that is why I believe that it is necessary to form a system of bueracratic red tape, select leaders that are fair and open-minded and dedicated to the true meaning of the Jedi and that is to serve others.

Having went on that tangent, I would also like to answer the question of this thread. I don’t go around telling everyone that I follow the Jedi Path, but they have asked questions and I have answered. Others just started calling me “Jedi” because they said that I “philosophized about Jedi junk” too much. I didn’t argue. So, now it’s more of an accepted thing to those that live around me and my community. As far as family goes, they just saw it as a natural progression. I spent my childhood “training” to become a Jedi, so now they think that I am a bit off-the-rocker, but not harmful. I don’t mind.

inari
    Participant

I don’t see the Jedi as being a cult at all, we don’t require our members to be secretive about what they do, or stop associating with their family members, nor do we have a single charismatic leader like many cults do. There is a potential for some people to take it that way, I guess, but if people keep their training to themselves, it more out of fear of others responses, not our requirements. Personally I’d like nothing more than for people to be open about what they do.

Icarus
    Participant

Inari,

I don’t see the Jedi as a cult either. I was just talking about similarities and how people could take it that way. :wookie

Mon-Loma-Ka
    Participant

Yes I have been telling people that I ahve been studying the Jedi Way! And I am proud to say that I Am learning at a Jedi academy. Some of the people who I ahve told are either sceptical or just shoot the idea down, but that is to be expected! Most of my close friends are OK with having a Jedi for a friend. Some think that it is kind of nerdy. Oh well!
    Then there are the people who are just rude, they would make fun of me and tell me to lift them into the air. I dont mind though.
    I have told my dad, but I think he might me skeptical also. I am going to continue my Jedi training with pride and purpose! :fight

Jedi Lawhead
    Participant
    Quote:
    No, she is a very strange person. She thinks that alot of things could “harm” me. She thinks in a very Christian perspective…Which is funny…she is a lesbian…

Perhaps your mother is fearful due to her own experiences. In that position I would quite frankly let my Mom know that what is for me is for me and that she has no business trying to prevent me learning about life. I would compare my struggle as a Jedi to her struggle as a lesbian, neither are broadly socialy accepted, lesbianism is moreso now thanks to gay rights activists and social equality programs, but she should be able to understand that you are who and what you are and that she can either accept it or not but it will not change your steadfast life path. If she tries the old “not in my house” bit, simply remind her that merely by imposing ridiculous restrictions on your life she is creating division between you. Explain that you want to be able to have an open, honest and loving relationship with her but that if she continues trying to restrict you that it can only lead to deception on both your parts. You being who you are, yet masked from your Mom and her using fear and danger as a manipulative tactic to further her own apprehensions about life through you. Ultimately it is your path to walk but I’m sure you’d both be happier with one another in acceptance of each other.

Alchemic_Wrath
    Participant
    Quote:
    Quote:
    No, she is a very strange person. She thinks that alot of things could “harm” me. She thinks in a very Christian perspective…Which is funny…she is a lesbian…

Perhaps your mother is fearful due to her own experiences. In that position I would quite frankly let my Mom know that what is for me is for me and that she has no business trying to prevent me learning about life. I would compare my struggle as a Jedi to her struggle as a lesbian, neither are broadly socialy accepted, lesbianism is moreso now thanks to gay rights activists and social equality programs, but she should be able to understand that you are who and what you are and that she can either accept it or not but it will not change your steadfast life path. If she tries the old “not in my house” bit, simply remind her that merely by imposing ridiculous restrictions on your life she is creating division between you. Explain that you want to be able to have an open, honest and loving relationship with her but that if she continues trying to restrict you that it can only lead to deception on both your parts. You being who you are, yet masked from your Mom and her using fear and danger as a manipulative tactic to further her own apprehensions about life through you. Ultimately it is your path to walk but I’m sure you’d both be happier with one another in acceptance of each other.

That is a very interesting way of looking at it. I will eventually tell my parents, but I really don’t want to at the moment. Timing often is everything.

Icarus
    Participant

As a mother, I will now have to jump in on this.  :maul LOL, j/k.

However, it is most important that discussion takes place between the parent and the child. If you go about this lifestyle, and then your parents stumble onto the knowledge that you now train as a Jedi, think how badly that could go. They will ask, “Why, if this is not harmful, did you hide this from me? Who are these “instructors”? What part of this training could be harmful? Did you not trust me enough to tell me you were interested in this?”

There are so many more questions and accusations that would come up. As a mother, I would rather have my child come to me and say, “Hey, Mom, look… I have found the path that I would like to follow in my life, but I would love to have your opinion on this matter, and would enjoy being able to share this experience with you. Would you mind taking a look and telling me what you think about this?”

In this way, trust is established, there are no secrets, and you have still made your parent feel needed, respected, and included. Trust me, that goes a long way with a parent. 

Anyways, I would recommend open communication. Never hide anything from a mother. Our eyes are everywhere…muahahahahahahahaha… :D

Kai-An
    Participant

I agree. Mothers understand a lot.

I told my mom and dad, and although they don’t understand it, they’re okay with it. What does annoy me is sometimes she treats it like a hobby, to be put aside when I need to study more or something of the kind. I don’t neglect my schoolwork, but she doesn’t like that I spend time on these sites when I could be working. Oh well. She accepts it and for now that’s enough.

This is why I want to meet other Jedi in real life though- Even just talking to Moonshadow and Belda at C4, even if we weren’t always talking about Jedi Philosophy or the Force, just knowing that I was talking to people who took my commitment seriously, and who understood what it meant was really wonderful.

Much love,
    Kai-An

Alchemic_Wrath
    Participant
    Quote:
    As a mother, I will now have to jump in on this.  :maul LOL, j/k.

However, it is most important that discussion takes place between the parent and the child. If you go about this lifestyle, and then your parents stumble onto the knowledge that you now train as a Jedi, think how badly that could go. They will ask, “Why, if this is not harmful, did you hide this from me? Who are these “instructors”? What part of this training could be harmful? Did you not trust me enough to tell me you were interested in this?”

There are so many more questions and accusations that would come up. As a mother, I would rather have my child come to me and say, “Hey, Mom, look… I have found the path that I would like to follow in my life, but I would love to have your opinion on this matter, and would enjoy being able to share this experience with you. Would you mind taking a look and telling me what you think about this?”

In this way, trust is established, there are no secrets, and you have still made your parent feel needed, respected, and included. Trust me, that goes a long way with a parent.   

Anyways, I would recommend open communication. Never hide anything from a mother. Our eyes are everywhere…muahahahahahahahaha… :D

My mom is strange though. Even if I am open with her she doesn’t care. If I hide it I always have the, “You would say the same exact thing if I had told you” excuse. Its true, she would. XD, lol.

Volund Starfire
    Participant

When I feel someone is ready to hear my path, then I tell them.  Some chuckle, some scoff, others ask about it.  Even when I revealed my philosophy to an entire psychology class, after the giggles came the questions.  Only one person made fun, but he stopped immediately after he saw his girlfriend more interested in what I was saying than in his banter.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here