• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Tothian
    Participant
    Tothian
    Participant

Jax
    Keymaster

I love how things get exaggerated. That said, it’s also cool to discover this. This is the value of pure science, just trying things. It is undervalued in society.

Tothian
    Participant

I’m not sure if I was exaggerating it. Or did you meant that they were?

It is cool that they’ve developed this. I would like to see a visual example myself.

I’m sure it would in some ways be more dangerous than the ones in Star Wars, as well as in other ways be less damaging.

Jax
    Keymaster

The headlines. No lightsabers were invented. But, the properties are similar. And it’s an interesting development.

Kol Drake

heh… ya. No actual light sabers were harmed during this article.

Some guy on another site thought it was more like the ‘solid light’ manifestations of the Green Lantern rings.

Green_Lantern_Vol_5_5_Textless.jpg

NOT that this article comes even close to doing anything at ‘real world’ scales with ‘light molecules’ (yet).

Tothian
    Participant

Even if not like in Star Wars, they made something where the lasers cannot penetrate each other. It only leads into the development of a lightsaber.

I’d still like to see a video of the actual creation, if they even have it. So that they can both prove it to the people as well as show us how it really works.

Kol Drake

One of the scientists actually said the analogy was ‘not unlike’ the example of lightsabers but goes on to say it’s nothing like it.

And, they are talking about pumping single photons to get these ‘semi’ interactions — it’s more due to energy level exchanges to the atoms in the vacuum medium rather then the photons ‘changing’ themselves. While it would be cool to think they have made ‘solid light’, they have only shown that photons CAN be made to behave ‘like’ it is not massless — not that they have changed the photons or light’s intrinsic nature. A long way from making solid beams of zappiness. But, for pushing the science of light and energy, cool all the same.

>>> Phys.org

Tothian
    Participant

Oh I see. Cool.

Taijibum
    Participant

OMG the choice! Green Lantern ring or Lightsaber?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here