• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Sai
    Participant

One of the ideas I have been struggling with recently is if there is absolute good and evil, or is it just the way we view things. This also raises the question for there to be good must there as well be evil? Disscuss

Jedi_Phoenix

This is a good thought, and one that I sometimes like to mull over as well.

Just to say right off the bat, the answer I think will and forever shall be abstract until we leave this life.  That being said, I’m sure many have their own ideas, which I am niether supporting nor rejecting.

In my opinion ‘good’ and ‘evil’ are just terms we use to set our conciousness straight.  What something I might consider good, others may consider evil.  And vice versa. 

For want of a better example, take Star Wars*hears groans* Yes I know probably really cheesy, but still:

Anakin has  ‘good’ intentions of brining peace to the galaxy.  Did he go about it as ‘good’ or ‘evil’….of course this is where the dual answer would come in.

We might think that ruling an empire is evil, by destroying people’s free will and freedom of speech, etc.  Yet did he not bring peace??? Until the rebel alliance, there was no battling, no fighting…pretty much peace.  (Ok, I lost my train of thought here…)

Anyways, my point is, is that ‘good’ and ‘evil’ are all relative terms.  We must in the end decide what is good and evil to us.  While not necessarily having to do with ‘evil’ I would take a look at Jax’s post on darkness..or go the the Jedi Online to read something about it.

:yoda

Jax
    Keymaster

I don’t believe in absolute good and evil.  The concept is human.  Therefore, it exists in our perception, but not at the highest levels of consciousness.  But, I also still use the term evil for a certain type of action or person, knowing that it isn’t real.  It’s simply a term that makes it easier to communicate.  But if I don’t think someone else realizes how I use it, I will specify that good and evil are human terms to describe things we like or don’t like. 

Innocence_Lost
    Participant

Well i view good and evil in kind of a scientific meets spiritual/mental way. You see as others have said ‘good’ and ‘evil’ are very human perceptions. See my views are that there is Chaos and Order, when the spirit and mind are in order, anger and geolesy (sp?) is not an issue or not present at all allowing us to “be all that we can be” and are considered ‘good’. But when the mind or spirit is in chaos, with problems going on in our lives or just not being able to get past things in ourselves, i believe it drive some of us to do things most would consider to be ‘evil’. IMO

Kol Drake

“The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”    —  Albert Einstein

“It is a man’s own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.”  —  Siddhartha Buddha

“All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.”  —  Edmund Burke

Jax
    Keymaster

That doesn’t answer the question of whether evil actually exists, or if it’s a construct of the mind.  You could change all of those from evil to “the things that we dislike strongly because they are a detriment to our version of society”  lol

Kol Drake

well….
    I did not address the ‘good versus evil’ because I tend to agree with what was posted before —  that those are terms created & used by humanity to ‘describe’ desired behaviors. 

Good, evil, time, hope, faith, love…
    …there are many ‘terms’ which are nothing more than agreed upon parameters or conditions.  Most (or nearly all) are still more ‘mind constructs’ than actual ‘things’.

For example… MIND.

We have brains… odd 3 pound globs of jello (filled with fluid and neurons, and neat stuff)… but we have yet to find where MIND is.    Most ‘think’ it must be in the head/brain… but no one can confirm or deny it.

As for ‘PURE’ good or evil…
    I confess I believe that people can ‘act’ with good or evil intention.  Some ‘acts’ of nastiness lean toward VERY evil.  I guess I’ve led a sheltered life since I have never had to face / experience TRUE evil

or for that matter ‘PURE good’.    Once experienced, I will have to re-evaluate my view of ‘how stuff works’ in MY world. 

Anonymous

To throw things around a bit;

People often speak of the ‘highest light’, ‘love beyond everything’ etc. Why? Why
    is it light? Why not a ‘dark’ universe? Why the focus on light so much?

What makes light better then dark?

Just something to think about :)

Icarus
    Participant
    Quote:
    To throw things around a bit;

People often speak of the ‘highest light’, ‘love beyond everything’ etc. Why? Why
    is it light? Why not a ‘dark’ universe? Why the focus on light so much?

What makes light better then dark?

Just something to think about :)

It’s not that the light is better than the dark, but our referneces to light and dark come from our primitive ancestry. Way back when, our ancestors had to take shelter during the dark times because predators would eat them. The darkness came to be an archetypal image of evil. Why evil? Because in that same darkness, there was a life-ending element, but in the day, live-giving or life-promoting elements could be seen. The predators disappeared, the sun shone on the crops, etc.

But, is there absolute evil? I believe that there is. It is not what we commonly refer to as evil. That is just a mental construct that we measure “bad things” by. Nope, that is not what I am talking about. There is a very small, but very real element of “pure evil.” Now, I have a theory about that. There are beings that are pure evil, but they come down from the most ancient times. It’s almost as if when they were formed (by whatever means that is) they were evil, but through the ages, they have fed off of “semi-evil” energies and so have come to be even more powerful. (There’s actually a pretty interesting Kabbalistic theory on this should anyone want to look that up.)

I know this isn’t the most politically correct, or even popular idea on the market, but I know, from experience, that there is “absolute evil.” And no, this isn’t from a perspective or a mental construct either. I can’t convince anyone of this because it really is something that you have to experience for yourself.

However, I think that just by questioning this, everyone is doing a good thing. Always question, always seek the answers for yourself. And never just take someone’s word for it.

Oh, and Erik, I think you hit on to something very important. Light does not always equate to good. Some of the worst beings out there present themselves as all love and light and beauty and such, and some of the best beings out there are horrific to look at.

Jax
    Keymaster

My understanding comes from Neale Donald Walsch’s teachings.  That is that, while there are some very ‘evil’ things out there, none is competely and wholly evil.  There is always some part, no matter how small, that is still of the light.  Therefore, I don’t see anything as ‘pure’ evil, but perhaps 99.9999% evil lol  But, I would also say the amount of beings that would be that evil are very small.  And since I have no intention of running into them, I don’t worry.  Why give them more power? 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here