• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    inari
    Participant

Sweeping gay law reform finally passes

* November 27, 2008 – 12:35PM

Discrimination against same-sex couples in commonwealth laws has finally ended.

The lower house on Thursday agreed, without debate, to a range of technical and uncontroversial Senate amendments to a government bill to give same-sex couples equality in areas including, tax, social security, health, aged care and employment.

Attorney-General Robert McClelland said the bill’s passage completed the process of removing discrimination from a wide range of Australian laws.

“At long last we have removed discrimination against same-sex couples from commonwealth law,” he said.

Jax
    Keymaster

If I didn’t know you were moving to New Zealand shortly, I’d think you were trying to convince me to move to Australia.  ;-) 

Yet again, the US lags behind while continuing the delusion of being the leading edge of freedom.  But I’m not concerned, it’s moving, just slower than I’d prefer.

Anthony
    Participant

Wow. That was a sad day for Australia…

Jax
    Keymaster

Anthony, discrimination is not a Jedi value. 

Anthony
    Participant

I am not discriminating. However, I fear walking down the street and seeing two men or two women holding hands…I may not live there, but I had been wanting to go someday… Not any more. Sometimes I actually feel discriminated against because I  do have a problem with it. Am I supposed to change to fit in with the sins of the im-moral? I don’t think I should have to put up with it.

Jax
    Keymaster

We all have things we disagree with.  That doesn’t mean we have the right to tell someone else that they cannot behave in a normal fashion.  Another person’s relationship or sexuality doesn’t have any affect on your life, except making you uncomfortable.  The thing is, when we have an issue with something, that’s a sign we have to go within ourselves and start really looking at what we believe, why we believe, etc.  These same arguments were used against interracial couples as well.  Just because it makes someone feel uncomfortable doesn’t mean they have every right to love each other.

As for sins and morality, that’s a rather slippery slope with little actual basis in reality when you look at what scholars say regarding the bible and homosexuality.  However, I’ve very rarely met someone who believes strongly one way willing to even read the books by different biblical scholars.  It’s far too convenient to use religion as an excuse for their homophobia.

Anthony, I don’t believe that everyone’s homophobia is because they are gay themselves and unwilling to admit it.  Nor would I claim that is the case with you, so don’t think I’m even implying it, as I’m not.  Sociology shows us that there are many complicated factors in things like sexism and homophobia (which are actually closely related).  Often the problem with homosexuality is that it challenges what people have been taught (and trained in a sense) regarding gender roles.  Men in particular are often taught that there is no worse than not being ‘a man’.  Homosexuality challenges this, often because young people like yourself have no real experience with what it means to be gay, and only see the distorted ideas of the flamboyant, ultra effeminate men.  They don’t see that there are plenty of ‘manly men’ so to speak who are gay.  There are plenty of people, including people I knew in the military who are gay and you would never know it because they are completely normal.  They just happen to love someone of the same sex. 

You’re still young.  You’re in the midst of that key phase of growing up where you are aware of what you believe, and now need to decide why you believe it and whether you continue to believe in the future.  Education and experience with people outside of the world you grew up in will expand what you understand of the world and thus tweak what you believe.  My beliefs have changed drastically from my teenage years due to all that I’ve learned in life.  Contrary to the right wing agenda, changing beliefs is not a negative and is in fact required to grow and mature spiritually. 

A Jedi’s responsibility and challenge is to be aware of issues and go through the soul searching process of understanding issues so they can be moved beyond.  As long as simply seeing people hold hands causes you to be uncomfortable and experience other negative feelings, you won’t find lasting peace.  I’m not saying it’s an easy process, but a worthwhile one that will teach you a lot about yourself.

inari
    Participant

Not everyone who walks down the street holding hands is gay, either. It is quite common to see girls/women of asian or middle eastern extraction walking down the street holding hands, at least here in Australia. Young men of Asian extraction often decorate the inside of their cars in a manner that might be considered effeminate amongst people of other cultures (‘Hello Kitty’ just about everything lol).

Australia is much more secular and relaxed than America about many issues, this makes an enormous difference between our attitudes about many things. Yes, we have plenty of people who are opposed to homosexuals having equal rights. We also have sectors of the community that still have women wearing the hajib, for example. Interracial marriages are very common. Culture, upbringing, and the individuals own personality determine attitudes towards many things.

I definitely prefer living Down Under, personally.

Jax
    Keymaster

That’s true of the US in different areas – some are more secular, or libertarian (live and let live) than others.  What’s funny is that the founding fathers of the US never intended for religion to control people’s lives.  Nor did they believe in the majority voting on the rights of the minority.  Yet here we are, 200+ years later and their vision for the US has been completely corrupted by those who seek to control other’s lives.  Thankfully that will continue to change.  We have a president who is deeply spiritual but doesn’t believe in infringing upon another’s right to their spiritual beliefs, which includes their sexuality.  It’s about common respect for all, which only strengthens rather than weakens a society. 

Beral Khan
    Participant
    Quote:
    I am not discriminating. However, I fear walking down the street and seeing two men or two women holding hands…I may not live there, but I had been wanting to go someday… Not any more. Sometimes I actually feel discriminated against because I  do have a problem with it. Am I supposed to change to fit in with the sins of the im-moral? I don’t think I should have to put up with it.

You live in Fear of … people holding hands?  Fear leads to hate, Hate leads to suffering.

I am saddened that you who see yourself as a Jedi would live in fear.  And it is even more sad for me to see you live in fear that people might hold hands as I believe that you are probably christian where God is Love. And people who have love are seen in fear. 
    Srsly… Fear of seeing people hold hands?  Fear of visiting a country… a WHOLE country because you might view it? 
    You have my pity.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here