• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Peaceful Warrior
    Participant

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has or is doing the Forza Samurai Sword Workout and what they thought about it and the results they are getting?  I got the book from Amazon on Saturday and am waiting for delivery of my wooden sword so I can get started.

Also is anyone completed the 28 day Shaolin workout by Sifu Shi Yan Ming?

Regards,

Peaceful Warrior

Jax
    Keymaster

I haven’t, but please report back regarding the sword workout.  I’ve been wanting to find something like this that I can do at home, and this looks outstanding!  i’m going to add it to my wishlist.  Just a reminder for everyone to use our amazon.com referral link so the institute gets a portion of that money back to support it’s cost.  :-D

I just went and bought two natural wood bokkens from amazon.  With shipping it was only $25 or so and they should be a good workout. :-)

Thanks for sharing this, I look forward to your feedback!

Mindas Arran
    Participant

I owned the 28 day Shaolin book… I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone as a workout routine. Even the most sedentary folk would find it a bore. For instance, one day’s “lesson” is turning your head to one side, then the other. Warm up? Sure… full day workout? If you’re looking for books or guides on working out, you can do much better. Let me know what level of intensity you’re looking for and I can give you some recommendations.

Peaceful Warrior
    Participant

Jax,

I am still waiting for my sword to arrive but once I have a few sessions under my belt I will be pleased to post feedback on the workout.

Mindas Arran,

I agree with your take on the Shaolin workout.  You really need to be at the end of the book doing all the exercises to be able to call it a workout.  Along with my sword workout and Tai Chi I am going to add in exercises from the Shaolin book.

Regards,

Peaceful Warrior

alex_champ
    Participant
    Quote:
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has or is doing the Forza Samurai Sword Workout and what they thought about it and the results they are getting?  I got the book from Amazon on Saturday and am waiting for delivery of my wooden sword so I can get started.

Also is anyone completed the 28 day Shaolin workout by Sifu Shi Yan Ming?

Regards,

Peaceful Warrior

I have and it’s great. Gave me lean muscled arms. Not too bulky but lean. Just the way I want it.

jdmcowan
    Participant

I’ve done it and still do it from time to time.  I have her video, too, and it is a really good work out.  The book doesn’t always describe things well and leaves you to work as hard or as long as you’d like.  The video shows them doing it and encourages you to keep up with them.  I highly recommend the video.  But here’s a review I wrote for the book a few years ago.

This is a fun workout and I highly recommend it if you are not seriously interested in sword work and just want something a little different. Despite the front cover showing the author with a steel sword, she rightly discourages this and advises you to get a wooden practice sword (which she uses throughout the rest of the book). There is something magical about holding a sword (even a wooden one) that makes working with it lots of fun. Unfortunately, this magic does not include burning off the fat – you still have to do an intense and tiring workout. But hopefully doing it with a sword will be a little more fun than just jumping around.

Warning: If you are seriously interested in studying Japanese swordsmanship, this book is of little use. Though the movements in this book are based on real sword training, some of the movements have been altered and important details have been left out. Focus has been given to things that create aerobic and anaerobic activity rather than things that create a clean cut and quick movement. If you study a traditional (or even a modern) Japanese sword style, your suburi and kata will already contain the activities in this book, plus more.

As for the quality of the book… It is a trade paperback with great pictures and good descriptions. There are a few points where the descriptions don’t match the pictures and even one spot where both seem to be incorrect (an exercise seems to be repeated and an obvious variation is missing at that spot). Just use your common sense when something doesn’t seem right. You’ll get a good workout even if you’re not doing everything perfectly.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here