• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Jax
    Keymaster

“Forgiveness is pretending that the other person is you.”
    – Neale Donald Walsch (http://blog.beliefnet.com/conversationswithgod/2007/07/who-among-us-can-throw-the-fir.html)

All I can say is, holy crap!  I get it!  Can I apply it?

Jedi_Phoenix

WOW, that is an interesting quote.  I had to read that a couple of times to understand what he was saying though.

After words, that does make sense.  Sometimes we have trouble forgiving others, yet we alwas seek forgiveness, this is one of those things that can’t be had just one way.

It helps to picture it and place you in that person’s shoes.

:yoda

Anonymous

Back in the mid-1990’s Public TV had a long, long Television Workshop of forgiveness. 

One of the exercises was to “trade places” with the person who you were angry with.  You then had a conversation with this person…but of course you answered for them!….

I do that.  I can’t always do it right after someone has truly ticked me off, but a few hours later if I still feel the real heat of anger…I can force myself to do so.

I think that nice quote encapsulates that…

-Asta Sophi

Jax
    Keymaster

And you didn’t have to watch a long workshop on forgiveness to  learn it.  :-D 

You guys might find the original blog post that it came from interesting.  I know I did. 

Magdelene Nashira
    Participant

At this point I’m getting a “This page cannot be found” message when I click on the link.

But about forgiveness, I think a lot of times people resist wanting to forgive because they think it means they have to accept door mat status or allow the perpetrator to be their cozy best friend.  That really isn’t necessary.  All you really have to do is just let it go in your mind.  Give up the right to hold onto it.  Then if you can get back to friendship with the person, great.  But this isn’t always possible as it takes two committed people to do that.  Then I think it’s a greatly personal issue.  Some people are better at forgiving than others because they are more practiced at it and understand it better.  Then the things that have been done to us differ in gravity, also, but I have known several people who’s ability to forgive is nothing short of miraculous.  That’s always an inspirational thing to see.

Jax
    Keymaster

It’ll work now, thanks for pointing that out.

Magdelene Nashira
    Participant

I got the error message again.  I tried copy/pasting the url too and it did the same thing.

Jax
    Keymaster

copy paste should have worked, and it clicks now too.

Magdelene Nashira
    Participant

Ok, now it works.  I don’t know what the deal was.  Could have been my provider.  There were some issues going on with it today and I couldn’t get online for a while.

I agree with the sentence  “Forgiveness is pretending that the other person is you.”  That does make a big difference on how we see things.

I don’t agree with it where it says

Quote:
    This does not make it right. Not one bit. It does make it understandable. (Conversations with God, by the way, says that “right” and “wrong” do not exist. They are figments of our imagination, and our definition of them changes from time to time, place to place, and circumstance to circumstance.)

Let me give you my definition of morality. “Morality” is the desire to force other people to act as we have not.

because I think it avoids the question and has a negative attitude.

I think it’s ludicrous to send a 21 year old to jail for something he did when he was 17 that a majority of people go through.  If you sent every kid to jail who participated in consentual sexual activity to jail the current situation of overcrowded jails would pale in comparison.  Why are they singling this kid out?

Jax
    Keymaster

The attitude is not negative at all, it’s completely neutral. 

And the whole point of this was that yes, it’s crazy what happened to this kid.  The reason it happened was due to many things, but since we don’t have a society that involves forgiveness at all, the system gets screwed up. 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here