• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ECV-Nato
    Participant

Well im new to the boards but i have a question about training with firearms. I have a lot of experance with guns, bows, swords and pole arms. I see that there a lot of threads involving hand to hand and i understand why. But do any of you do some training with firearms? Just a question i had and im lookong forward to any all respones i get.

Yoshio

In the countries where I use to live (Austria, Germany and Japan) it is not easy to legally own any firearms and therefore I don’t have any experiences beside my training during my military service.
    But when it comes to bows, this is a bit different. Although I have to admit that I haven’t trained for quite a while now. I do own one and I’m into instinct archery a bit. For me this is a very interesting and fascinating topic and as soon as I have the opportunity again, I will go back to it. But that is all what I can contribute to this topic for now.

ECV-Nato
    Participant

Thank you for the reply. Im interested in all forms of weapons. Im just hoping i might be able to help in this area. Im a small time firearm instructorat the moment. Ive talk to many who say they will never train with firearms and I think even if there not your choice of weapon that every one should know about them and how they fuction. Anyone eles have an imput on this subject?

Kol Drake

If I am not mistaken, there was a group of ex military, ex and current police types and other like minded semi Jedi folk up in the north central US who partook of firearms practice along with their other pursuits. While not as easy as it once was nation wide, there are gun shops with indoor and outdoor ranges where you can fire pistols and some rifles and ‘gun clubs’ who have land set aside for monitored activities. Figure with some InterWebs poking about, one could dig up some local or regional centers if you were so inclined.

As for training — once upon a time, it was fairly ‘normal’ for the local police and/or civic chapters to host an annual ‘gun training’ weekend class so you could be ‘certified safe’ to use a firearm. Very much so in those states where ‘hunting season’ was a big deal. I think I still have my cert from way back when I was 10 or so. The NRA still holds some training and sometimes those places like Ducks Unlimited, etc. hold basic safety classes. Heck, in my area, they have ‘black powder’ training since there are several groups who do historical reenactments every year. Again, some poking about might dig up some gems near you.

ECV-Nato
    Participant

Thanks for the info kol drake. I think I still have my range mater cert somewere in my house. I worked at a range for 8 years and did defencive training for about 5. I’m farily skilled when it comes to this. I guess really Im trying to gauge how it is accepted here on the fourm. Ive read the threads on swordsmanship that are posted and like what i see so far.

Sorry if any of this seam weird to you all but ive tryed to walk the path of peace and good will before with a few groups to be disowned by them because they felt firearms were bad as a whole. Thank you for the reply.

Kol Drake

No sweat.

My dad owned rifles and pistols when I was a kid. My first weapon was a ‘Rifleman’ style, cock the lever action to prime it, B-B gun. Still have it stashed somewhere. I fired some 22 cal single shot rifles. Didn’t really do much more than that until I shot the M-14, M-16, M-79 (shotgun style grenade launcher) and M-203 (under barrel grenade launcher), M-60 machine gun, and even a fun little LAW at scrap vehicles. Then, during my honeymoon, we went to a range and I shot a single and double barrel shotgun at clay ‘pigeons’ and blammed tin cans and target paper using a 38 and 45. Not really done much shooting since.

I like target shooting. I really enjoyed watching the couple of seasons of Top Shot… using different weapons from ancient slings to the latest hot metal. They are interesting and intimidating on what power they can have.

In the last couple of decades, I’ve thought that gunpowder was a mistake in a certain way of thinking. There is something to be said for having to stand face-to-face / toe-to-toe against an opponent with only the armor and weapon in hand rather than being able to kill from a football field away. It makes war more gruesome but also something to more avoid — or so I imagine. Though, having several thousand march out to go one-on-one to decide battles takes it’s toll when one side could totally be wiped out after a few hard days of battle. *shrugs* Guess it’s never an easy answer. No matter how ‘equalized’ one might wish the field of battle to be, there will always be someone coming up with ‘a better, more deadly thing’ to help win for their side.

In reference to Jedi in particular…
    There are plenty who don’t ‘mind’ guns, etc. For martial arts, staffs, sticks, and blades are the norm, so that’s what most look at — especially since we are talking ‘lightsaber’ substitution to still keep it all vaguely ‘jedi like’. I keep wishing there were more who taught walking cane/stick / umbrella fighting style. Those things you can walk down the street with and not have police get nervous.

Dogan Nar II
    Participant

I’m a Guardian, so well rounded weapons-training is important to me. I’ve been a Law Enforcement Officer in addition to working private security, so my training and experience with firearms is at a pretty high level. I carry a firearm at all times because the way I see it, you never know what could happen in today’s world. Something that definitely cemented in my mind the choice to carry a firearm wherever I am is that back in 2012, I almost went to the theater in Aurora CO to see Dark Knight Rises at the midnight premier and would have ended up being involved in the mass shooting that happened there. So for me; firearms training, experience and utilization is a must.

I’m lucky, I’ve worked with a number of LE agencies and security companies so I’ve had a multitude of opportunity for education. I also have a ton of former military friends to work with. Not everyone gets those opportunities. If one lives in the US and has the expendable income to do so, I would highly encourage researching and purchasing a firearm then taking classes. Concealed weapons permit class and well as applicable NRA classes are excellent routes to go, then advanced training can be sought from there.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here