• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Setanaoko
    Participant

“Dolphins are marine mammals that are closely related to whales and porpoises. There are almost forty species of dolphin in seventeen genera. They vary in size from 1.2 m (4 ft) and 40 kg (90 lb) (Maui’s Dolphin), up to 9.5 m (30 ft) and 10 tonnes (9.8 LT; 11 ST) (the Orca or Killer Whale).

So, orcas are part of the general family of marine mammals… not necessarily ‘dolphin or dolphinlike’ per se.”

I’ m not the person to get into an argument on this one.  I lost this argument with my mother when I was 9-and then every science teacher after that lost the argument until I got into an ecology class in High School where a teacher finally agreed with me.  Orcas are indeed dolphins.  And dolphins are not related closely to whales, they ARE whales (the same as a rose is a flower, but not every flower is a rose).  They are closely related to porpoises though, because porpoises are another family within the Cetacea(Whales) order.

Killer Whales fall under the family of Delfinidae, Genus is Orcinius, and Species is Orcinius Orca.

I did a number of reports on Orcas in middle school, and studying dolphins is practically my life. (I’m not hostile, promise, I just like having the facts straight when it comes to the Delphinidae family :D )

Kol Drake

;D

I bow to your expertise and knowledge.

Being a ‘city boy’ and landlubber, fishees is fishees… and air breathing mammals is them…. if it ain’t Flipper, Shamu, or Moby Dick… I is lost.    ;D

Setanaoko
    Participant

lol, I don’t need any bowing.  Funny thing about being a terran-I didn’t grow up around the water, and neither did my mother.  She had to find a way to put me in my place and get me to actually study-so she challenged me mentally. But it took playing on my own field (Cetalogy-study of Whales and Dolphins) to hammer it in my head. lol :).

Streen
    Participant
    Quote:
    ;D

I bow to your expertise and knowledge.

Being a ‘city boy’ and landlubber, fishees is fishees… and air breathing mammals is them…. if it ain’t Flipper, Shamu, or Moby Dick… I is lost.    ;D

LOL!  I think I fit into your category.  ;D

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here