• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Magdelene Nashira
    Participant

I wasn’t sure exactly where to post this, so please forgive if I’m posting in the wrong place.  I had wondered about the dream jounal section, but it looks like that is for people keeping logs of their dreams rather than just talking about specific dreams and I also wanted to ask for feedback.  So I decided to just put it here. 

I usually can interpret most of my own dreams, but recently I’ve had a couple of dreams with a re-curring theme and I’m stumped by these dreams.  They seem to have a common denominator of dolphins, and I don’t know why the dolphins.

In the first one, I dream I am approached by my soul mate only to find that he is an alien person who is a humanoid type creature with a dolphin face.  He approaches me and tells me that he has not approached me before because he didn’t know if I would be accepting of him because of this dolphin face.

The second dream I had my soul mate approaches me again.  This time he is an elven man who looks just like Legolas in the Lord of the Rings movie.  But he approaches me when I go to a public swimming pool and he jumps out of the water as a dolphin and then morphs himself into the Legolas person.  And he’s naked.  He approaches me and tells me that he would have approached me before but he wasn’t sure I would want to live with having a husband who has to live in the water and that it might put an undue burden on the relationship.  Also, he prefers to be naked all the time while in human form and he didn’t know if I could accept that.

My big question about all this is why the dolphin?  Does anybody know if dolphins have any kind of significance in dreams or if they have a symbolic meaning anywhere?

Thanks guys.

Setanaoko
    Participant

My amakua/guardian spirit just happens to be a dolphin. :D

Dolphins are playful, but they are also considered overly concerned with helping others-often not leaving time for relationships-unless their partner is just the same as they are (which is lucky because all dolphins love to help-well so long as they aren’t orcas).  They are considered guardians/police of the ocean-keeping a check and balance on anything trying to harm other species(especially whales).

If I were going to try and interpret such a dream, I would first ask the following questions:

1) Is it questionable as to wether or not I help people?

You might be the kind of person that helps others, but no one ever realizes that you are doing so.  That can lead to feeling under appreciated.  By the dolphin appearing in your dream, it is your consciousness telling you that you DO feel under appreciated and you just don’t want to acknowledge it.

2) Is there a situation that has happened recently where you were helping someone and you felt as though you could have helped out better?

Perhaps the dolphin appeared because it is signaling that you should feel good about the results because you did your best.

3) If it’s not the one above, are you having troubles right now and you don’t think you can handle it?

Perhaps its a signal that there will be a reward at the end of your trials.

These are just a couple I can come up with.  Of course, it could just be that you are getting ready to meet your secondary totem, which is meant to help you through the next set of trials.  There are a number of different reasons our minds give us certain dreams, the honest to God truth of it all, however, is that we can’t interpret the dreams for you.  Only you understand what a dolphin means to you.  How do you view the dolphin community.  Better yet, how do you view the species of dolphin you encountered (there’s a plethora of them: orca, common, bottle-nosed, spinner, spotted, etc). 

Magdelene Nashira
    Participant

Actually what you have said makes a lot of sense.  In my life all three of those situations have come up and recur quite often and I do try to push the ideas of feeling overwhelmed or feelin unappreciated out of my mind because of lot of it comes from family who I feel should really have more understanding of me than they actually do. 

As far as the type of dolphin, I don’t really know the different types.  In fact I had no idea an orca was a dolphin.  I thought orcas were whales.  Or are there Orca whales and Orca dolphins?  Anyway, the ones I saw look like the ones you see in Sea World doing tricks and stuff.  Bottle nose kind of sounds desciptive of them.  They do have a round columnar nose.

I am also puzzled as to the second one telling me he prefers to be naked and was afraid I would be offended by that.  Does that make sense to you in terms of dolphin behavior?  Maybe that might tip off what kind of dolphin.

Thanks tremendously for your help!

Jax
    Keymaster

One thing to remember is that as soon as you say “so and so should” you’re setting yourself up for disappointment.  The sooner you can move beyond that idea, the better it’ll be for you.

I think there’s more going on than just the dolphin.  I think there is a possibility that you are being introduced to a new guide, the dolphin, but it’s also possible that you’re being told that you’re not seeing people around you as who they are.  This being kept talking about not being accepted by you if they showed who they really are.  This could refer to you not being accepted by others, but it’s also possible your own soul mate is being passed over because they don’t look as you expect.  Just some ideas.  Interesting dreams if nothing else!  :-)

By the way, the meditation journals are for analysis as well.  If you’re wanting people to comment, just say that in the journal, and you can always post a summary of themes like you did here.  But having each dream logged as you go is helpful, especially since details fade with time (sometimes in seconds if you’re like me!).  But really, whatever works for you is good for me. :-)

Magdelene Nashira
    Participant
    Quote:
    One thing to remember is that as soon as you say “so and so should” you’re setting yourself up for disappointment.  The sooner you can move beyond that idea, the better it’ll be for you.

Not really sure what you are talking about here.  Not sure what idea you mean.

Quote:
    I think there’s more going on than just the dolphin.  I think there is a possibility that you are being introduced to a new guide, the dolphin, but it’s also possible that you’re being told that you’re not seeing people around you as who they are.  This being kept talking about not being accepted by you if they showed who they really are.  This could refer to you not being accepted by others, but it’s also possible your own soul mate is being passed over because they don’t look as you expect.  Just some ideas.  Interesting dreams if nothing else!

Yeah, I think there is more than the dolphin to do with it, but that part I understand.  However I don’t think I will come to the full meaning of the message until I figure out what the dolphin symbolizes.  What it’s about.  What Setankano said made a lot of sense and really seems to fit.  As far as the guide, I don’t think so because the dolphin seemed to have a really strong “Holy Spirit” feel to it.  At least the first one did.  The other one was just like Legolas.  But I think the nakedness must be a representation of something too.

Quote:
    By the way, the meditation journals are for analysis as well.  If you’re wanting people to comment, just say that in the journal, and you can always post a summary of themes like you did here.  But having each dream logged as you go is helpful, especially since details fade with time (sometimes in seconds if you’re like me!).  But really, whatever works for you is good for me.

I thought about putting it in the journal section, but I probably won’t really keep up with a journal because I usually pretty well interpret my own dreams.  But this dolphin thing has me scratching my head.  I can forget dreams pretty fast sometimes too, so I keep a pad and paper near my bed in case I’m afraid of forgetting.  But this one was so vivid I don’t think I’ll ever forget it!

Jax
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    lot of it comes from family who I feel should really have more understanding of me than they actually do.

That’s what I was referring to.  Should.  Doesn’t get you anywhere but disappointment.  Just something to keep in mind, so you aren’t letting them get to you as much.

Setanaoko
    Participant

If they are like the ones from the Sea World commercials, than they are Bottle-nosed (Tursiops Trunicus in scientific terminology :D ).  Dolpin is translated as meaning “Small-Toothed Whale”, most people don’t know that Orcas are dolphins until they learn what “Dolphin” means.  :)

As to the “naked” part, I’m still stumped on that one.  But Dolphins are the only other species that it has been proven have sex for pleasure.  I know that they are also not that big on being constricted.  So if they wore something, they might try to get it off of them if it constricts their movement.  Through movement we can do a lot more things (hence the reason you don’t wear constricting clothes to either martial arts events/training/practice or Yoga).  The fact that the dolphin said that might be a testiment to your own feelings of feeling constricted?

Magdelene Nashira
    Participant

Well, no, I don’t really feel constricted.  Being a basically shy person I’m not one for wanting to be naked or anything.  But the second one did say he liked to be naked when he was in human form.  He particularly indicated it was when he was in human form, though I guess a dolphin is naked in animal form too.  Maybe that he isn’t comfortable in a human form?  I don’t know.  The whole thing is strange.

Am coming back to modify this entry now, because right after posting it occurred to me that I’m probably taking the constricted word too literally.  It occurs to me that I do kind of feel constricted as far as the movement I can make in life as far as being in charge of my own life, where I work, where I live, and how I live.  Then it occurs to me to wonder if maybe it means that just as my movement (ability to seek soulmate) has been constricted due to the lack of opportunity in my life, so is his.  I wonder if he is restricted by location and is connected to the sea.  I’ve always been kind of drawn to the sea and was sad when I had to move away from there.  I’ve also always had a fascination with orcas.  But these are definitely dolphins.  I don’t think they represent me.  I think they represent the soul mate.  Though I guess it could be both or neither too.

Magdelene Nashira
    Participant

It’s been a while since we were talking about this, but I thought I might just mention that I had a third dream that confirmed what the other dreams were about.  At least for me it does.  I wrote it down on a paper which I keep by my bed and it ended up being the whole front and back of a page, so rather lengthy.  Rather than report the whole dream, I thought I’d just kind of sum it up.

This time the soulmate came in the form of John Boy from the old TV series “The Waltons”.  I don’t know how many of you are familiar with that, but the character is the oldest of several siblings in a farm family out in a small community in the mountains.  He is dependable, honest, dot, dot, dot.  Anyway, this dream was more interactive and because of the interactions going on I learned the following:

1.  This dream was to give me a better idea of who my soulmate is, what type of person he is, and to dispell my own self conceived myths that I thought were true of him.

2.  The dolphine refers to his personality mostly.  His personality could be described as a cross between John Boy Walton and a dolphin.  I now call him John Boy Dolphin!  LOL

3.  I don’t know if this person is coming into my life in this lifetime or not, but I now have a very different idea of what to look for.

4.  This person is someone the rest of my family and freinds will also like, but he is on my side.  I am more secure with this person than I am with my own mother.

Ok, I guess that hits the highlights.  Just thought you might be curious to know how it ended.

Mag

Kol Drake
    Quote:
    Actually what you have said makes a lot of sense.  In my life all three of those situations have come up and recur quite often and I do try to push the ideas of feeling overwhelmed or feelin unappreciated out of my mind because of lot of it comes from family who I feel should really have more understanding of me than they actually do. 

One would ‘think’ our immediate family would ‘know us best’ but, remember, there is a lifetime of family history/emotional ‘baggage’ which is the filter they use to ‘see’ you and you see them.  Sometimes the lens is a bit messy from all the good and bad which makes up the ‘family life’… and can shade how they are seeing or *not* seeing you and your personal issues/concerns. 

Quote:
    As far as the type of dolphin, I don’t really know the different types.  In fact I had no idea an orca was a dolphin.  I thought orcas were whales.  Or are there Orca whales and Orca dolphins?  Anyway, the ones I saw look like the ones you see in Sea World doing tricks and stuff.  Bottle nose kind of sounds desciptive of them.  They do have a round columnar nose.

heh.. dolphins.  I was just up in the wee hours last night reading entries from a blog/board where the ‘etheric warriors’ (ladies who help fight etheric nasty things & and folk) had some experiences with dolphins a couple of years ago and now have the aid and assistance of the cetaceans.

and…Dolphins are marine mammals that are closely related to whales and porpoises. There are almost forty species of dolphin in seventeen genera. They vary in size from 1.2 m (4 ft) and 40 kg (90 lb) (Maui’s Dolphin), up to 9.5 m (30 ft) and 10 tonnes (9.8 LT; 11 ST) (the Orca or Killer Whale).

So, orcas are part of the general family of marine mammals… not necessarily ‘dolphin or dolphinlike’ per se.

Quote:
    I am also puzzled as to the second one telling me he prefers to be naked and was afraid I would be offended by that.  Does that make sense to you in terms of dolphin behavior?  Maybe that might tip off what kind of dolphin.

Perhaps ‘being naked’ is a metaphor (we ARE talking dreams here).   Being naked could signify being totally open, honest — naked truth if you will — seeing the person at their very core and being rather then the typical ‘costumes’, attitudes, and stage like attitudes, actions, and ‘masks’ folks tend to present to their peers, their work mates, and so on.   He is being the best ‘himself’ he can be…. not just being pervy on porpose… er, purpose.  :P

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here